News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Quiet this time of year

Started by Big_Richard, 17 December 2010, 04:12 AM

Big_Richard

I wonder though, Is anyone intending to do some w116 tinkering over the Christmas holidays? (where applicable)

I certainly will be, with any luck ;)

I might even take my 6.9 on an extended drive!  :D

calvin streeting

I want to... but depends on weather as it realy cold here at moment -4c which always makes it fun to work on :)

nathan

Take your 6.9 for a drive. Who are u kidding. Youre As likely to do that as I will be to drive my 116 in the rain!
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

Big_Richard

Quote from: nathan on 17 December 2010, 05:47 AM
Take your 6.9 for a drive. Who are u kidding. Youre As likely to do that as I will be to drive my 116 in the rain!

Oh i will be i assure you.

I require Timmeh's assistance to finish putting my interior together and may need to raid his screw collection since Ive lost so many.

If you didn't leave all yours to get rained on, i may of been able to take some of yours ;)

Big_Richard

Quote from: calvin streeting on 17 December 2010, 04:59 AM
I want to... but depends on weather as it realy cold here at moment -4c which always makes it fun to work on :)

I wouldnt mind that weather for a while - would be fun attempting to drive a vehicle on an iced up road... Maybe once  8)

calvin streeting

not sure "fun" is a word I would use. more like "pain the proverbial", or even "Scary" at times.. especialy when you relize that the stearing wheel dosn't change your direction when you go down hill. :)

s class

From 24 Dec to 02 Jan I will not be working on anyone else's cars, but I will make some time to give my 280SE some attention.  I plan to fit a new rear screen seal, and make a new parcel shelf.  Hopefully I will also fit new engine mounts. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

TJ 450

If I get the 190E running, and after assisting MT with his car, I hope to install a new rear screen seal on my 6.9 as well.

Then, a front suspension rebuild is next for the 6.9... the right side lower control arm has started clunking around, which is no good.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

thysonsacclaim

I will begin my project in late January and hopefully finish by February:

1: MegaSquirt Conversion

2: Timing chain, guide, tensioner, seals et al replacement

3: Rear shockers

4: Rims dechromed & painted

I have had my car project on hold as it has been a very hectic semester and cash flow has been minimal. However, tax season is approaching (I always get an income tax refund) and my school stipend will be coming around the same time, so I will have some money for car work after I put some away for food & books.

Actually, I think my books will cost more than the car work!!

UTn_boy

I think I am going to try to get my ACC working the way it should. I just took three servos I had lying around and made two good ones.  All I need now is an amplifier.  Id like to be able to test the amplifier that is in the car now, but the book doesn't say how to without the factory tester.  I guess I could figure it out, but guess im too lazy. :-)

Maybe I'll replace all of the suspension bushings front and rear.  I also want to put another carburetor on my 280S that I got off of a W126 280S.  My engine runs and idles perfect, but I am getting only 11 miles to the gallon!!!  I sometimes wish I had a 280SE, or even a V-8.  At least with any of the V-8 cars there would be an excuse for the poor fuel mileage. haha. 

Then I look at this time capsule that I have acquired and end up driving it anyway because it's so nice and new looking.  Just turned over 63,000 miles last week.  An absolute pleasure to drive.  I never thought id drive anything other than a W108 or W111 car, or the Euro W126 I drive, but wow,  This is nice. 

When I save up the money I still want to put the green interior in and have a good quality respray in the original Astral Silber Metallic.  Nothing wrong with the blue interior that is in it now.  In fact it is near perfect....carpet, vinyl, package tray carpeting, even the wood is new looking............and no cracks in the blue dash...........yet. :-)  I just like the green is all.  All of the carpet in my car has been covered up its whole life.  I actually have the original coco mats, and I found the original pre-delivery inspection paper from Mercedes-Benz of Knoxville, where it was sold new.  Now if I could just find the window sticker.  Maybe the original owner still has it. 

Anyway, it keeps me busy, and I never mind putting money into it.  :-)
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

goldacre

Install wiring for new car stereo and keep researching for speakers taking into account Ohms, sensitivity, depth and RMS  ??? lots of stuff to consider when installing a higher amped head set and getting speakers to match/fit but enjoying the research (all to be posted on the Org when done)

Install replacement Bilsteins Shocks for the front as not entirely happy with the Sachs shocks as they are rather harsh so have gone with the 'comfort' Bilsteins from Importec

Cut and polish when i get back from Busselton.

G
12/1979 450 SEL 148K on clock (museum piece)
12/1986 Lotus Esprit Turbo 87K on clock 'Darling, look what Q has brought for us, isn't it nice' :)

Big_Richard

I've decided to purchase another car after i come back from overseas in January.

It's not a Mercedes, and its not even European.  8)

It will be for once or twice a month long drives down south, I will be keeping the 6.9 as my primary toy.

This will be a late 90's "aussie rubbish" vehicle with a straight body, preferably in white to practice my spray painting on..

TJ 450

Quote from: goldacre on 20 December 2010, 10:12 PM
Install wiring for new car stereo and keep researching for speakers taking into account Ohms, sensitivity, depth and RMS  ??? lots of stuff to consider when installing a higher amped head set and getting speakers to match/fit but enjoying the research (all to be posted on the Org when done)...

That's a good project. Are you using external power amplifiers? The reason I ask, is that despite all sorts of claims the "amp-on-a-ship" devices in most head units are not normally very powerful... usually a claimed "20W RMS" or even less. Most recent speakers will handle that well enough, however there's a big difference in quality out there as you would be aware. For the 116, if you are looking for decent sound quality, I would be looking for speakers with small rare Earth magnet systems like Neodymium for instance.

Good luck. 8)

PS: I just installed a basic Pioneer head unit with the Visaton speakers in the 190E... too bad I can't drive the car yet haha.

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 21 December 2010, 04:10 AM
I've decided to purchase another car after i come back from overseas in January.

It's not a Mercedes, and its not even European.  8)

It will be for once or twice a month long drives down south, I will be keeping the 6.9 as my primary toy.

This will be a late 90's "aussie rubbish" vehicle with a straight body, preferably in white to practice my spray painting on..

Will this car be a Ford, or something else? It sounds reasonable to me, as there won't be any issues getting parts... you could just rock up to Malz and order stuff over the counter. :)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

Quote from: TJ 450 on 21 December 2010, 08:38 AM

Will this car be a Ford, or something else? It sounds reasonable to me, as there won't be any issues getting parts... you could just rock up to Malz and order stuff over the counter. :)

Tim

I'll take either a ford or a commode if the price is right, body is straight and hasn't been driven by a dickhead ;)

I have a hankering to play with something different with excellent and easy spare parts availability.

If i find it to be an unnecessary burden, ill be able to sell it instantly for little to no loss, the same cant be said for another MB toy  8)

WGB

I still like my BA Falcon.

Bill