Noticing more new members and 116 owners on the Org lately

Started by MB_Mike, 18 February 2011, 10:21 AM

MB_Mike

I think the time for our cars is arriving!! I am so encouraged to see new members on here and especially those contributing. What an exciting time.
1987 Home market 560 SEL

thysonsacclaim

Agreed. I've seen lots of new folks around (or at least people I haven't seen before).

Welcome all! Our cars are a thing of beauty, glad to see others interested in them.

Mforcer

You are absolutely right!

Welcome all the new members/owners!
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

nathan

particularly Americans! early years have been dominated by aussies, but i think the time of the US of A is coming
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

flutes

And the tone and quality of the discussions has remained as high as it's always been - this is still one of the most pleasant, helpful corners of the internet.
Matt
1977 450SEL

TJ 450

Indeed, it's always good to see fresh interest in the cars... Here's cheers. :)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

gf

It seems to me the most interest you get when driving one of these is people in their 20s or late teens. theyre always very curious.

thysonsacclaim

I could be mistaken, but it's possible the recent economic situation has also spurred intrest in these cars.

Lots of fellow students (including me) have paid off our vehicles or decided to go used versus another car payment.

Unless I spend $2.5k-$3k or more on my car every year, I'm paying less than what the average student pays for a car loan ($250+ / mo), without being held to a monthly payment. If the car goes FUBAR, I have a backup.

I paid $900 for the car, $1k in parts and repairs so far. $1900 in the 'hole.' Too early to say, but I like to think they're good reliable cars. The 3 mechanics I've taken it to to check it out have given it good marks minus the works I'm doing now (1 MB mech, 1 classics car restoration mech, and NAPA).

When I looked for cars, I specifically looked for older: VWs, BMWs, Mercedes, Saabs and Volvos (don't hate me, I'm Swedish!) or el cheapo Toyota or Nissan.

For what I wanted to pay ($3k or less) I got a car which needs a bit of work that I can do gradually, little body issues and that I enjoy working on. For $900.

For $1500, in my area I saw mostly 7-15 year old cars in need of severe repair (new tranny, complete rebuild, flood/beach damaged, or someone who left car on low tide area when high tide came in).

Finances aside, though, I get a lot of enjoyment out of this car, even as it sits on ramps.

That's just my 2.5 cents.

calvin streeting

I just prefer old cars, in my opinion they look better, and allways stand out in the parking lot (a lot easyer to find, especialy a big merc with the boot hanging out the parking bay :) ).

My first car was a 1965 Vauxaul Viva HA... it had tail fins... way cool :)

I kind of found mercs by accident, some one had one for sale and my current car was of deaths door. That was 10 years ago,I drove my w123 2380e every day, and racked it up to 254,135 miles, and the only thing that stoped it was rust. Then I found a W116 350SE sitting at the back of a workshop, So I upgraded to a S class..

The car still needs a few thing done with it, but I do love the burble as you drive down the road, and it allways makes me chuckle when a boy racer in his silly little car (with wide exhast) hears a proper engine beside them... :)

calvin..

So basicaly allthough I am new here I still hope I can help others...

thysonsacclaim

Ditto that Calvin.

I personally like the way the Merc fintails look, but the 116 with Euro lights and bumpers is very very close.

For what I do, the 116 is more practical. I've heard some say the fintails are slow to get up to speed and I commute about 120 miles a day to and from university and work.

One day I hope to have a 116 and a fintail. For now, best not to bite off more than I can chew

foss

I found this site about 2 years ago, i enjoyed reading about the w116 and got hooked on the 6.9, i had to have one. This site helped me research about the 6.9 and a year later i bought a 6.9 off one of the members. I have enjoyed ownership and have had a lot of help and met some great people from the org.

Foss :)
1979 450sel 6.9 SOLD BACK TO ROBERT D.
2002 745i
1978 450sel 148,000kms SOLD
2004 S430
2019 S350D AMG line

Type17

Nice to be here.  :) I've always owned older german cars, because I value engineering quality above all else. The 80's and early 90's VWs and Audis that I('ve) own(ed) are great, but now, with my 350 SE, I'm in "quality engineering" heaven  8)
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

Tony66_au

I started reading 116 a year or so ago and last year became a member.

I then took the plunge and bought my 450SE and started posting and im still here.

Id previously owned 124's and 126's, a number of Volvo's and other euro marques (Skoda 120L heh) but the 116 S class has me hooked and i believe it is a better car than the W126 to drive plus I love and admire the engineering in these old girls.

Ive now sworn off new cars and id rather put the money into my Benz's.

Tony

MB_Mike

I've had the pleasure of meeting 2 of our new members in person in the last couple of weeks!

I am astonished that 1. there are more US members and 2. Some of them are in New York!

Nespo mentioned when I met him that he would like to host a GTG in NYC/NJ area in the spring or summer.

SWI66, has a great 280SEL (which I believe to be a Euro converted to US regs) with velour. I hope he puts the link to the pics up soon.
1987 Home market 560 SEL