News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Northam WA German car day 2011

Started by goldacre, 02 June 2011, 02:57 AM

john6007

Quote from: goldacre on 09 June 2011, 08:27 PM

PS Bill, do you know of any good muster points between Sawyers and Mundaring for a Saturday morning muster?

There is a new Dome cafe on one corner of the traffic lights in Mundaring (Great Eastern Highway), car park looks okay for a few 116's, never been in, only driven by 100+ times.

John
79 - 450SEL 6.9 #5628 &  #6466, 92 - 300CE-24, 98 - MX-5, 89 - Ducati 906 Paso

Big_Richard

Quote from: goldacre on 09 June 2011, 08:27 PM

I noticed no one picked up the 'deliberate'   ::) mistake in the first post...'Northam which is 100klm West of Perth Western Australia'.  ;D

That was a deliberate ploy to have all the w116's drive into the ocean, so as to increase the rarity and value of yours - I'm on to you  8)

WGB

You said 24th July and then you said Saturday.

I am planning for Sunday 24th July - please confirm.

It is starting to look like a cryptic crossword. ;D

Happy to meet in the Dome Carpark at Mundaring at this stage - either day.

Bill

goldacre

QuoteThat was a deliberate ploy to have all the w116's drive into the ocean, so as to increase the rarity and value of yours - I'm on to you

(read with sinister voice...) And i would have succeeded if it wasn't for those meddling 116ers  >:(

Hell no MT, i remember the sweat trickling down the faces of some 116ers when we parked near the ocean for a group meet  ;D there does exist an aversion to H2O in our mix, that's why i like the Wheatbelt, dry as a chip and water is celebrated  :) and big farm sheds to park in  8) Rarity and value is now confirmed for my 450SEL with those mirror shine Grosser hubcaps and bulbous  rims and tyres  8) May have to get that Lotus Esprit after all, apparently they can go underwater pretty well, saw it in a movie some time ago... ;D

QuoteYou said 24th July and then you said Saturday

I stand corrected Bill  :-[ i have a habit of doing that for some reason (not checking!) It is a Sunday event on the 24 July 2011.

That DOME cafe looks the part, like john6007 i have driven past many times and have been looking for an excuse to pop in for a brew  :)
Confirm time to meet closer to the event.
G
12/1979 450 SEL 148K on clock (museum piece)
12/1986 Lotus Esprit Turbo 87K on clock 'Darling, look what Q has brought for us, isn't it nice' :)

CMS280SE

Dome is great for me. Looking forward to a big turnout  :)

Chris

TJ 450

Likewise.

I strongly doubt I will be attending in the 6.9, but you never know.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

Quote from: TJ 450 on 14 June 2011, 08:57 AM
Likewise.

I strongly doubt I will be attending in the 6.9, but you never know.

Tim

Dreaming.

Burty

Hey Goldacre,
                     Same again this year , case of Vasse Felix & cheese on the lawn??
Still have not purchased the new toy , so still looking at the "German"options.
Cheers
Burty

goldacre

Hey Burty, long time no post  :-[

Thought you had purchased something else and had moved on  :'(  (mind you if it was one of those BMW 750 Li i would forgive you)

Definitely get a case of the Vasse Felix Theater Red, check out their new cellar door sales area they have now, practical for restaurant and sales staff but totally lacking in ambiance, looks more like a try hard bar at a local pub  :( Also if you can scrounge some of that wine from your business circuit contacts that would be nice   :P

Definitely cheese on the lawn with my amazing selection of condiments and glasses of wine  ;D

If you meet us at the DOME in Mundaring you can drive my Limo to Northam and i am sure someone could drive you back to your car, great opportunity to listen to die hard W116ers rabbit on about ownership  :D

G
12/1986 Lotus Esprit Turbo 87K on clock 'Darling, look what Q has brought for us, isn't it nice' :)

john6007

Hi, Just checking about a Dome meet & departure time, trying not to harass but I have too much work and need to plan my escapes. Likely to intercept the convey at the Lakes (I have some complications)
As a Newbie, maybe Goldacre can advice essential items to bring apart from a full tank of gas (100 Octane + of course), a 116 and Gumboots if its raining.
Looking forward to a drive and seeing some nice German cars. :)
79 - 450SEL 6.9 #5628 &  #6466, 92 - 300CE-24, 98 - MX-5, 89 - Ducati 906 Paso

goldacre

Hi john6007, no probs about picking you up through the Lakes, we should be easy to see, pristine W116s in a row  8) There normally is only a couple at the show so you should know ours when we are in convoy. PM me and will exchange numbers so we can advise when we are on the road.

The event kicks off around 9am so as an idea if we met at Dome Mundaring at 9am (i know, an ungodly hour unless you went to Church) we could be there by 10am easily. This will ensure a good chance to line our cars up all together  :)

If it rains bring the gumboots, it has been getting cold so jackets could be in order. Do not expect a lunch seat at the cafe upstairs (if bringing the misses along) as the Merc and/or Porsche club book it out for themselves but the bratwurst van is very popular but expect a Queue. Plenty of places to eat in Northam town which is only 100m away to the main street. If you do need some distractions for the misses there are heaps of crafty things on display along with homemade condiments. Bring a chair for when you want to sit around as a picnic blanket can suffer if its wet so bring a brolly as well. A bag of rags and some cleaning gear is recommended if you score a few blemishes along the way  ::)

BYO is rampant as far as drinks and food so no challenge there. Bring a good camera with lots of batteries for first timers as there are some nice choice cars on show. My favorites are the two 560SELs that often rock up plus those new BMW 750Li cars, fantastic rear leg room (and bar)

Fuel can be sourced at Caltex on the Northam-York road which is pretty new and there is also a new McDonald's for those with fast metabolism so can get away with eating it  :'(

Thats about as good as a boy scout of info i can come up with  ;)

G

WGB

I purchased new wiper blades in expectation of a possible rare drive in the rain.

Not sure I'll get the AMG rear and side skirts finished as sparetime is at a premium at the moment but spent a few hours flling and sanding furiouskly yesterday.

Bill

Burty

Hey Goldacre,
               May be absent from the day , will be away the prior week and not sure if i'll get back in time..
Will grab the grog if i can..
Cheers & looks like youre gunna have some fun..
Cheers
Rob

WGB

Spent the weekend sanding - filling - sanding my skirts and then shot the primer in very cold (for Western Australia)  conditions.

Not happy with the result so more sanding/filling/sanding required and deadline for getting paint finished and skirts on the car has now gone so if it is dry to moist I will be there skirtless with bits of aluminium tape over the mounting holes.

If it is raining like today I might consider a run in the E500.

Bill

goldacre

Bummer Burty, my collection of Red wine was exhausted and was looking forward to the Vasse Felix  :'(

OK Bill, if you bring the 500 it will standard convoy protocol, slow cars up front with the fast ones at the rear so the order of business will be 280s followed by 450s then 69ers then yours  ;D

This is done in case we get hit by a wolfpack of rozzers attacking from the rear  8)

Fitted my wipers a couple of weeks ago and they were put to very good use driving between wheatbelt towns lately. Just wish the heater worked  :-[

G

PS are we all on for a 9am meet on the 24th at the DOME?