News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Melbourne Get Together 30/7/2016

Started by carl888, 23 July 2016, 01:52 AM

carl888

After a few false starts, I'm putting a date out, Saturday 30th. July at 12:00pm, lunch here:

http://www.generatorfood.com/

Its been a while.  We can meet in the cafe, speak shit, and have lunch if necessary.  It's a working day for me, so I've taken the opportunity to organise something a few minutes away from my place :)   I need some inspiration to fix the starting issue on the W116.

Haven't had much time to log on lately, I admit, I have a new project.  After trying to find a decent 6.9 that's actually been looked after with under 100,000 kms, I gave up and bought this:

1989 Bentley Mulsanne S with 49,000kms.  Of course I've pulled it apart to raise to a standard to which I am happy.

nathan

Carl,
im not aware of any 6.9s under 100k officially with pics. i have heard of 1 or 2 in NSW which were under this figure but never seen pics to authenticate.  John S over here has a nice white one with 110k's.
ill check again the logs, i reckon this sort of purchase requires a request to buy rather than someone selling!
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

Peter

carl888

Quote from: nathan on 23 July 2016, 02:15 AM
Carl,
im not aware of any 6.9s under 100k officially with pics. i have heard of 1 or 2 in NSW which were under this figure but never seen pics to authenticate.  John S over here has a nice white one with 110k's.
ill check again the logs, i reckon this sort of purchase requires a request to buy rather than someone selling!

Thanks Nathan, you are correct, I didn't push it with the interstate clubs as much as I could have.  There's a lovely silver car in NSW with 105,000 documented kms on it, but not for sale.  Better still, I found a spectacular metallic blue/cream car near me with 43,000kms on it, one owner.  I saw the car, offered $65,000 on the spot, the owner ummed and arrgged but declined, however he promised to keep me in mind if he sells (What ever that means).  I'll just annoy him ever few months and hopefully wear him down.  Since a similar house across the road from his house sold for $11 million a few weeks back, I'm not sure the value of the 6.9 would make much difference to him.

Funny, despite the initial run up in prices in 2014, 6.3s are still good value here despite the prices in Europe and the UK.  A few have been languishing on car sales all year.  Maybe I'll have a stab at one of those instead.

In any case, I'm really happy with the Bentley, it's almost impossible to find a decent 1980s Spirit or Mulsanne for the same reasons a 6.9 is hard to find.  There are so few good ones around now.

carl888

Quote from: Peter on 23 July 2016, 05:08 PM
Nice Bentley Carl  ;D

Thanks Peter,

I'm really pleased with it.  I surprised how well it drives.  The stiffer suspension over the spirit makes a big difference.  It's hard to believe I paid less for the car in dollar terms in 2016 than what the original owner paid in 1989 to have the car specified with a sunroof, sports seats and cocktail cabinets in the back.  Frightening.... 

daantjie

Quote from: carl888 on 23 July 2016, 09:33 PM
Quote from: nathan on 23 July 2016, 02:15 AM
Carl,

Thanks Nathan, you are correct, I didn't push it with the interstate clubs as much as I could have.  There's a lovely silver car in NSW with 105,000 documented kms on it, but not for sale.  Better still, I found a spectacular metallic blue/cream car near me with 43,000kms on it, one owner.  I saw the car, offered $65,000 on the spot, the owner ummed and arrgged but declined, however he promised to keep me in mind if he sells (What ever that means).  I'll just annoy him ever few months and hopefully wear him down.  Since a similar house across the road from his house sold for $11 million a few weeks back, I'm not sure the value of the 6.9 would make much difference to him.

Funny, despite the initial run up in prices in 2014, 6.3s are still good value here despite the prices in Europe and the UK.  A few have been languishing on car sales all year.  Maybe I'll have a stab at one of those instead.

In any case, I'm really happy with the Bentley, it's almost impossible to find a decent 1980s Spirit or Mulsanne for the same reasons a 6.9 is hard to find.  There are so few good ones around now.

That 6.9 sounds like a unicorn indeed. Here in NA they are plentiful but most have high miles and rusted beyond saving. Unless you get a Nevada or Arizona car but then usually it has been baked to a crisp :o
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Beastie

Nice Bentley. Congratulations. I've been lusting after the Rolls/Bentley cars of that era for a little while now. A local property developer, George Polites, is currently trying to sell a portion of his collection of Rolls Royce cars. Some of them very bespoke and low mileage but most of them are drop tops. Get a load of this Silver Shadow II: Hnnnng, as the kids today say: http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Rolls-Royce-Silver-Shadow-1980/SSE-AD-3651816/?Cr=3

His Silver Spirit caught my eye. http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Rolls-Royce-Silver-Spirit-1995/SSE-AD-2526362/?Cr=4

It looks like a lot of his car have sold. I can only see half a dozen or so of his ads today. I doubt that that many of them in that kind of condition are seen for sale all at one time very often.

1979 280SEL

"She's built like a steakhouse, but she handles like a bistro."

carl888

Quote from: Beastie on 24 July 2016, 12:44 AM
Nice Bentley. Congratulations. I've been lusting after the Rolls/Bentley cars of that era for a little while now. A local property developer, George Polites, is currently trying to sell a portion of his collection of Rolls Royce cars. Some of them very bespoke and low mileage but most of them are drop tops. Get a load of this Silver Shadow II: Hnnnng, as the kids today say: http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Rolls-Royce-Silver-Shadow-1980/SSE-AD-3651816/?Cr=3

His Silver Spirit caught my eye. http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Rolls-Royce-Silver-Spirit-1995/SSE-AD-2526362/?Cr=4

It looks like a lot of his car have sold. I can only see half a dozen or so of his ads today. I doubt that that many of them in that kind of condition are seen for sale all at one time very often.

Thanks!

Go for it, just get a good one, they are very tough mechanically.

Interesting price on the Shadow ;)

The Spirit looks the business.

carl888

Well, no interest it seems for a Saturday meeting in Melbourne.  I'm going to can it.

Instead I'll head North West to the Castlemaine area for a drive and to possibly meet RobertD for lunch.  Let me know if any interest.