News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

MEET: Temora Airshow & Museum

Started by oscar, 25 March 2007, 09:43 PM

oscar

Who's up for a trip to Temora Aviation Museum for one of their airshows?  Here's the following flying dates.

Flying Days 2007   
April..................7th & 8th  (Easter) 
May..................19th & 20th 
June..................30th & July 1st 
August...............18th & 19th 
September..........15th & 16th 
November...........17th & 18th 

Peruse their website http://www.aviationmuseum.com.au/.  Runs from 10:00 till 4pm, costs $15pp with flying from 11:00 onwards.

Easter weekend may be ideal.  What do you all think?  For those travelling some distance, perhaps a stay overnight before or after the show.  I can guarantee there'll be no accomodation in Temora as it's usually booked out well in advance, but maybe stay on the way to or from. Here's a distance map

1973 350SE, my first & fave

john skene

Thanks for the dates, I had booked in for the NZ Rally being held at Easter, but due to my wife's health I have had to cancell, so the Easter weekend may be OK if there is accommodation available in or near Temora. I shall have to do some checking.

Mforcer

Easter may be a little difficult with it being relatively soon as well as a public holiday (double demerit points and more traffic). Personally I don't have much interest in the air show but that would probably allow for more eating, drinking and visting the local shops etc :)

I am certainly interested in a drive over a few days at some point. Drive down one day. Spend the next doing our own thing - passengers don't want three days of car talk ::) . Drive back together on the third day :)

I have some longer trips planned too but more about these another time.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Brian Crump

May, August or September are possible for me. Easter is already taken and June is the Spirit to Wilpena Pound run. Temore airshow would make a great weekend away.
Regards,
BC

Brian Crump

Oscar, I can see you are killed in the rush here M8!!! You may have to badger the boys a bit  ;D ;D ;D
The Silver Shadow register is going to the Temora Airshow at Easter and I would join them but for the fact that I have the dogs entered at the Easter Royal. I understand the TAS is brilliant.
Have you been to the Paris Airshow? It's amazing!!! Go if you get the chance but go as trade rather than public as it is less crowded on trade days. Getting in is easy - you wear a dark suit and dark glasses. No-one is going to knock back a potential buyer (believe me; it is true).
Can I make this suggestion? Putting up a list of dates will not get the 116 boys to make a decision. Potential rain, drought, famine or a plague of grasshoppers, interest rates, whatever.....will always stand in the way of a decision being made.
I suggest you choose a definite date later in the year and we encourage people from other states to come over for the event. Temora is within striking distance from Vic and SA so with enough notice, some suggestions for accommodation and a clear booking date, there is a good chance of success.
Happy to help organise it.
Regards,
BC

Brian Crump

PS - we should also check to ensure any dates we choose don't clash with the MB clubs. That way, 116 members of the clubs will have the chance to attend -pretty important consideration.
BC

oscar

True, Easter may be a bit close, but I was planning on going anyway ;D , especially since now a bunch of rollers will be there I'll be definitely going but I'll take the Terri.  I'll also take photos for you Brian.

Whilst I'd like to see a bunch of w116 members there on what ever day is organised (I'll give the date some more thought and check events schedules again) I'm going to throw suggestions to the MBCACT and MBCNSW and perhaps MBCVIC.  I know ACT goes on trips regularly as they did when I passed them on the way to AutoItalia.  A day trip for them would be feasable.

I agree, a firm date is needed (no polls)  ;D  and  whoever comes, comes.  More later. ;)

oscar

Hi Brian, good luck with the easter show, although you probably don't need it ;)

Could you tell me please what day the rollers are rolling into Temora?

Brian Crump

Oscar, I believe it has been postoned until the Spring for reasons unknown to me. :o
I will do my best at the Easter Show - grooming courtesy of the invention of our fellow list member, BANDELERO  ;D ;D ;D

oscar

That's a shame.  Not sure what day I'll go now, perhaps tomorrow.  I've been looking at some rollers for sale on carpoint.  No I'm not going to get one, not yet ;D but I really like the 70's silver shadows and what do you know, they seem to be the most affordable - how convenient for me.    Would you believe there's one there that's had a chevy v8 transplant.  :o :o What's the point!! http://carpoint.com.au/used-car/ROLLS%20ROYCE/SILVER%20SHADOW/Victoria/csn782490.aspx

Anyway, still working on a Temora meet, just haven't had time to make suggestions and set the wheels in motion.

Brian Crump

Oscar - if you do want a Silver Shadow then it needs to be a Mk11 with the rack and pinion steering. When the time comes we will ease you into one -and everything is repairable. No plug in and throw away modules.
I'm keen for the Temora trip to go ahead - drop the dogs at Taralga on the way and motor on...
Michel will come too; in his pink 6.9 with jet blaster ;D Where the fearless one goes, the rest will follow. We just have to convince Styria to brave the West, ensure that Mforcer has a 5 star luxury resort to stay at, and, find all the other NSW based 116 owners. The latter is the mystery -where are they all?
BC

Brian Crump

Any dates yet Oscar?
Regards,
BC

oscar

June 30th & July 1st 
August 18th & 19th 
September 15th & 16th 
November 17th & 18th 

These are the remaining dates for this year.  I haven't given much thought towards it with the house occupying my time of late.  I'm getting a tad fed up with it.  Perhaps I need a big drive.  Well a 1.5hr drive for me.  If there's interest, I can make Saturday 30th june, though I have to work Sunday.

If not, perhaps the August dates.  Once again, I'm free Saturday 18th August but have to work the Sunday.

SELfor50

Hey Oscar....  Looks like November's not too far away.

I brought this back up cause a mate suggested on the weekend that we should hit the road to the Temora air show sometime soon.  And after re-checking the dates, looks like the November one is the go.  Will lock it in with him and another mate this weekend.  Other mate's ol' man was pretty high in the RAAF so he'll be mad keen to come along too.

Does it go over 2 days yeah?  What's the best day to head down?

oscar

The best way (the only way) to get to Temora from Capitown is to head to Yass, get on the freeway, head about 4-5km past the KFC, Mcdonalds service centre towards Melbourne.  You'll go up and over a big hill where there'll be signage to turn right for places like Temora, Harden, Hay, binnalong, Bowning and Griffith.  Turn right and keep going.  Canberra's about 350+km from here in Griffith.  Temora's in between and is about 150 from here so your looking at about 200+km to get there.

Flying starts at 10am usually and is on both days Sat and Sun.  As far as which day to go - everytime I've been there's been more and more people.  Not standing room only though.  If it were me, I'd keep an eye on the weather and go on the coolest and or clearest day.  Bring fold out chairs too.  The only difference between the two days is that there may be a couple of planes that visit for one day only. 

Unlike the big airshows you get the opportunity to talk to crews and walk around the planes after the show finishes if that's your thing.  There always seems to be a few ex RAF and USAAF folk about too on holidays passing through not to mention some RAAF guys.  Sometimes dignatories and even your mate, the Honorable PM was there last September.  David Lowy's always there.  You should ask him about Westfield sponsoring Team W116 ;D  If I get that weekend off, I'll come over too.

I'll leave you with a quick vid (1.9mb) of the meteor flying past.  Awsome sounding plane but crappy footage from 2004.  We stopped for a toilet break whilst passing thru Temora on our way to Sydney one day.  Seeing planes up in the air, there was only one public toilet I could think of that I wanted to use :D the one outside the airport's terminal.

http://gallery.w116.org/dl/15165-1/temora+094.avi?g2_GALLERYSID=74f8808c5f564756b73d2d10ef8f6244