News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Koorda Shire Agricultural Show

Started by goldacre, 30 August 2010, 11:29 PM

goldacre

Hi folks, if you missed out on the recent Org get together and really want to take your car for a nice drive into the Wheatbelt (nice and green out here at the moment) why not check out the Shire of Koorda Agricultural Show?

Recently a bloke renovated an old shop and he has a history of motor racing and in his little car & war museum he has a race ready XU1, a Valiant Pacer and a Rover that Whitlams wife use to drive around in. He is organising a car show and shine as well at the show so would be worth the effort to see.

Koorda is about 250klm North-East of Perth via Northam and Goomalling towns.

Hope to get there myself if the parts arrive in time, if people decide to come up let me know and can sort out a BBQ at my place or something of the sorts.....

Koorda Show
Saturday 4th September
Koorda Recreation Ground, Scott Street, Koorda.

http://kadas.webs.com/Documents/Show%20Day%20Information/2010%20Show%20Day%20Timetable.pdf

Contact the president if you want to show your car...
Kim Storer
Ph: (08) 9684 4088

Email: kadas.president@gmail.com

Goldacre

PS you should get there and back on one tank of fuel but the following places have 98 octane:

Northam Caltex 100klm from Perth
Goomalling Caltex/BP 147 klm from Perth
Dowerin Gull (i confirmed with their tanker driver its 98 octane) 170 klm from Perth
Koorda BP (takes most bankcards and will require a pin number, not sure if it takes credit cards) 250 klm from Perth
12/1979 450 SEL 148K on clock (museum piece)
12/1986 Lotus Esprit Turbo 87K on clock 'Darling, look what Q has brought for us, isn't it nice' :)

TJ 450

It would be a nice drive and an interesting event to attend. Unless I decide to drive out there at the last minute, I doubt I'll be able to make it, but I usually make impulsive last minute decisions. ;)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

goldacre

You know where i live  ;)

I will be either in the shed swearing at a 30 year old Steel German Frau or in the garden swearing at a one year old Aussie Silky Terrier X Jack Russell who would have made off with half my tools  >:(

Goldacre
12/1986 Lotus Esprit Turbo 87K on clock 'Darling, look what Q has brought for us, isn't it nice' :)

TJ 450

Hahaha, well I found the source of the pinging with the advice of Herbert at The Star Shop... ignition timing. I just retarded it a few degrees and now it can be floored without issues. The advance mechanism is out of adjustment, it seems.

So, I could probably make the drive, but we'll see.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

goldacre

That could be handy, check your email!

The pulley off Bills 450 does not have the slot (only 4) for the AC belt (need 5) so if yours does i would be very interested  :)

it will be worth the while, heading to the Mukinbudin butcher to day to stock up  :P

well done with the easy fix solution of the pinging, looks like your other car bits are interchangeable  :)

A common problem with Distributors is that the fabric insert at the top of the shaft (when you remove the rotor) is there for a few drops of oil to lube the advance weights as they require some lube every now and then, most people are not aware of this. My Brother in law would see this often and would just take it apart and remove the rust and free up the mechanism give it a good clean and lube and all is fine.

One of the first things i did when i got my 450 (as i do with all 2nd hand cars i get) is squirt some WD40 on the fabric and follow up with dipping a screwdriver into new oil and dribbling into the fabric, you do not need too much.

The other things i do is renew all electrics and cooling system parts  8) Piece of mind stuff.

Goldacre

Goldacre

TJ 450

Yes, I've got a few distributors, so I'll see how it goes with the oiling and adjustment. I never knew this was required, but it makes sense.

I've replaced all the maintenance items, so there's no need to worry about that fortunately.

I received word that my 190's bored-out block and new 1mm oversized pistons will be ready next week, so I need to save the cash I'm afraid.

Certainly, the pulley is here if you want to pick it up, or I'll be out your way for some insulator collecting in a few weeks anyway. I'll have to check that it's the right one.

Tim

1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

goldacre

Hi Tim, any luck with that pulley yet? i will be in Perth to pick up the new car for work on Tuesday evening if your around.

Goldacre

WGB

That pulley will be a slot down as it is a Euro and will not have been fitted with an airpump.

Bill

goldacre

Hi Bill, therefore can still be used??? Will check out the manual online and see if there is a map for belts on the 450...

My air pump is unbelted at present awaiting the air pump to be rebuilt  ::)

Goldacre

PS just checked out the library and there is a physical difference for a air pump equipped 450 1979 vintage...

Starting from the crank - 2 slots for the twin belts for water pump/fan + Power Steering
                                     - 3rd slot for AC (this slot is a larger diameter)
                                     - 4th slot for Alternator (same size diameter as AC slot)
                                     - 5th slot for Air Pump (this has the smallest diameter)

Bugger  :(

Big_Richard

Quote from: goldacre on 02 September 2010, 09:30 PM

A common problem with Distributors is that the fabric insert at the top of the shaft (when you remove the rotor) is there for a few drops of oil to lube the advance weights as they require some lube every now and then, most people are not aware of this. My Brother in law would see this often and would just take it apart and remove the rust and free up the mechanism give it a good clean and lube and all is fine.

One of the first things i did when i got my 450 (as i do with all 2nd hand cars i get) is squirt some WD40 on the fabric and follow up with dipping a screwdriver into new oil and dribbling into the fabric, you do not need too much.

this gem of knowledge just encouraged me to go have a look at my distributor, its not the first time ive read it, but its the first time i had a look regardless.

The circular piece of fabric was totally dry, I've never done anything to the distributor since i purchased the car in 2003, other than, new cap, rotor, shaft seal, gasket, green wire and black plastic shield between the cap and the pickup coil.

I dipped a long screwdriver in engine oil and let it soak into the piece, i bet i've put too much in there now ;)

goldacre

Tops  8) i bet the mechanism is having a party and all movement is invited  :D

Do not worry about too much oil, the governor is when it spills out over the shaft  :o but as for the internals gravity will rescue you there.

Goldacre

Big_Richard

should i be starting the car now ?

Will that assist it work its way in or leave it for a while

goldacre

Not too sure about when to start other than my old Torana had a heap put in before a long drive to the Stirling Ranges and back and all was fine  8)

G

Big_Richard

i'll be driving my 6.9 down south once the interior is fully assembled and the seats are back from the upholstery shop.

bloody look forward to it.

These days my daily driver is a 4 cylinder, the 6.9 will feel like an absolute beast.

goldacre

If the parts i need do not arrive before i fly to Melbourne next Monday for two weeks my car will be off the road for another 4 weeks  :'(

If it will take you that long to get your car back together maybe a tag a long tour down south could be in order? apparently Burty has his kettle on 'down south' woohoo  ;D

G

PS i will throw in the tow rope just in case  :'(

PPS Sorry to here about the four cylinder  :'( but am looking forward to seeing Tim's 190E on the road soon  :)