News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

I have an EPC

Started by Big_Richard, 29 December 2010, 04:38 AM

Big_Richard

While now officially on holidays with no commitments i had time to build a computer out of spare parts today specificly for the purposes of EPC'ing  ::)

Its the 2008 epc.net server which i can log into and use the epc from any lan connected pc in the house equipped with the java runtime environment.

Interestingly, i can connect even with a linux box, but its as yet not fully functional. Windows machines all work fine.

Now i just need to find an online parts provided that ISNT a rip off by way of postage, they all seem to of dried up during my absence.

TJ 450

Nice work... I failed with setting up a server for the LAN, then my XP machine gave up the ghost and I haven't used it since. It is a very useful tool though, that EPC.

I'm only running Win7 Home Premium so I can't run in XP compatibility mode unfortunately.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

as your aware, i have more than a dozen legit xp pro licences here from scrapped computers in my collection if you require one. I think i gave you one already anyway.

my epc.net web server is running on an xp pro machine - pre loved p4 3.4ghz.

Big_Richard

getting the webserver working on the lan requires adding port 9000 to your firewall exception list, but only for your lan subnet. If you dont, by default its blocked and other computers wont even be able to see the log in page.

On client pc's after that, you will log in fine, and load the epc upto 70% and it will time out and fail.

upto now the only way ive been able to get around that is to completely turn off the windows firewall on the server, it then goes all the way no problems.

I intend to do a packet capture and analyse it to see exactly whats going on then make the required adjustments.

naturally using the local pc which hosts the webserver, either directly or via remote desktop works perfectly every time.

flutes

Interesting MT.  Does epc.net server use IIS/does it have its own web server built in/is it a native windows app?
Matt
1977 450SEL

Big_Richard

does not use IIS, its its own server application.(windows only)

Installing it for the first time can be quite tricky but ive done it a few times now.

on the client pc's it just runs as a java application, initially launched by clicking on the epc link via a web browser. My thinking is it should run on absolutley any client pc as long as it runs the java run time environment.

WGB

I have a similar EPC + WIS running in XP emulation mode under Windows 7.

It gives an error message with my Java but then runs fine.

Unfortunately I don't have W212 coverage so I guess I will update at some stage.

I have an IBM T30 that I purchased specifically to add Star DAS but have never purchased it because I keep updating my car but I do have a version of Carsoft and all the connecting bits that goes up to about 2004 models.

Bill

thysonsacclaim

TJ & Others,

If you have a Legit XP key (sometimes on a label on the side of the computer) you could download and install Virtual Box or VMWare. I don't know your tech skills, but basically Virtual Box (which is free: http://www.virtualbox.org/ ) creates a virtual (eg emulated) computer inside your actual computer.

This has the benefit of allowing you to only run the EPC software when you launch the Virtual XP operating system. So, what I'm saying is you could install Windows XP inside your Windows 7 machine (thus not requiring a higher level Windows 7 license for XP emulation or an additional computer as a server). Or you could dual boot, of course, but I think Windows is a bit pickier when trying to load multiple version on the boot loader.

MT,

You said on Linux, as a client I presume, it's not fully functional. Which JRE / distro did you try it on?

Big_Richard

im not at home so i cant check for sure,

the JRE version is the latest available for Linux, cant remember the number ;)

the distro of Linux i run is Debian, and i think the last version of that is 5

there are certainly more upto date distros  of Linux available but Debian is rock solid and so far does everything i need.

I just rdesktop to the xp machine when i want to use the epc anyway so its no real big deal ;)

TJ 450

Setting up a virtual machine would indeed work and I reckon I'll give it a go, thanks for the recommendation.

Having said that though, I'll think I'll just go and build another P4 with a different hard disk... The original one failed and that's why I decommisioned the machine.

Tim

1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

thysonsacclaim

Quotethere are certainly more upto date distros  of Linux available but Debian is rock solid and so far does everything i need.

True that. I love Debian. I was curious because I may start an EPC server. I already have a server up and running that I use for FTP, SSH, to log in to the router, and so on. I mostly use Linux, but either way I could get the client working either by manipulating the JRE or Vboxing windows.

The RDesktop idea is neat, I use VNC Viewer on my phone to log in to the server when SSH is too tedious to type on the tiny key pad.