News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

How to post pictures... in picture form...

Started by Stork, 04 April 2011, 04:58 PM

Stork

Okay here it goes for all you non computer savvy people like myself! This is the procedure for MAC's I would think the PC is the same...

Step one download software, install it and drop it in the applications folder:

http://reg.imageshack.us/content.php?page=features

Step two, Place the pictures you want on your desktop. I find that jpeg works the best. If your picture is in another format and the system keeps giving you a failure (Like it did with me) then save that picture or screen shot as a jpeg and that should solve any issues.

Step 3 open the application from your applications folder onto your desk top, it is the frog icon:

Step 4, Drag your picture where it says "drag and drop your image":

Step 5, once you drag it it should look like this:

Then hit the upload button and the image will upload, and a new widow will appear. From here you can do a few things... I suggest you just click on the box next to the  "Hot Links For Forum 1". This is the link for a full picture. You can also do a thumbnail, and to be honest I have not tried the other buttons, but the hot link has worked the best for me:

And finally you click paste on the forum, and the link gets pasted. Then hit save, and you are good to go!

You can also do a write up, then place the link for the picture below the write up and it will look like this:

Once I win the lottery this will be my daily driver!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hope this helps many!!!!
Robert

Mforcer

Thanks Stork. This is good for anyone who wants to use imageshack to host their photos, although the downloaded software is not necessary.

There is also the Gallery too :)
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

WGB

Using a PC I do the same thing but I do an extra step which is to reduce the size of the image from a file size of 4 to 5 meg down to 20 or 30 K and then post this smaller image into www.photobucket.com.

This provides a faster download for everyone when the post is opened and quality stays quite reasonable.

I use Photoshop album to do the file reduction but there are other programs that are easier to access.

Photobucket provides the  direct address which is then pasted between the square brackets when the image command is invoked as shown above.

Bill

Stork

WGB... you are right in reducing the size. I just posted around 8 pictures and it does take a while to download. So I will go back on monday and reduce the size...
Robert

300SDude

How do I add my pictures to the gallery?

thanks,
300SDude

Stork

Now that is a good question! I have yet to figure out how to do that! ;D

koan

I'll add my usual bit here.

Please upload pics to the w116.org gallery.

That way the pics linked to from threads are most likely to be still accessible, many of the picture sites that seem to restructure periodically and links become invalid even though everything looks the same on the site.

It's a bit more difficult than the usual picture sharing sites but do it once and it's easy after that.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

300SDude

Still wondering how I add them to the actual "Gallery" page.  http://gallery.w116.org/v/show_room/.

I have all my pictures on photobucket.

I do run and maintain both of our websites and feel I am pretty good at figuring out how to get pictures on a website, but I have yet to find a button in the gallery that will allow you to upload to it.

I see a couple people just start a thread and show off their car....maybe I'll just do that. :)

300SDude

koan

Go to the gallery and click on wherever you want your pictures to appear, Show Room, Garage etc.

At top right of screen you'll see "Forum << Sidebar", don't click on "Forum" as that takes you back to the Forum, click on "Sidebar" and an "Actions" menu will slide in on left of screen.

Click on "Add Items" and the add items page will load. Don't play with the defaults until you have a bit of experience.

To upload a single picture click on "Browse", find the picture on your hard disk in the file list menu that appears and select it, then add an optional Caption if you wish. The Add Items has empty entries for two pictures but each click of "More Upload Boxes..." adds a another empty entry (best start with one or two pictures first so if you stuff up it doesn't piss you off quite so much) then click add items, after a time (sometimes an unreasonably long time) a Continue page will appear with a list of uploaded pictures. Now go back to your chosen Gallery and refresh it and your pictures should be there.

Underneath each picture is "Get Item URLs", this is to get links to your pictures to use in your post.  There are four choices, cut the URL of your choice and paste it into your post. Try a Preview of your post in a browser TAB or New Window.

Only refinement is to create your own sub Album and put the pictures in there. Have a look at my
koan's bits for an example of a sub album (with sub-sub albums).

Good Luck!

koan

300SDude

Got it, it's hidden in the sidebar tab on the right. ;)

300SDude

300SDude

When I click on the sidebar thing, there is nothing that says "Add Items" I tried it in both firefox and IE.

All that pops down is Show Room, Garage, Drive and fun.

300SDude

koan

Quote from: 300SDude on 04 June 2011, 08:45 PM
When I click on the sidebar thing, there is nothing that says "Add Items" I tried it in both firefox and IE.

All that pops down is Show Room, Garage, Drive and fun.

EDIT: That's what you get when you are not logged in

koan