News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Grille Badge

Started by macatron, 29 December 2006, 07:00 PM

Andrew116

Ok oscar and everyone... this is the new start:  ;D

Well... the new message in Gallery when uploading:

"Upload Complete
Successfully added 1 file.
Added Badge-Test0.jpg
You are using 26.18 MB of your allotted 50 MB.
Add more files"

If posting proposals will get me to 50... that's it for me  :D
Just have to make them smaller... :-\

How do you like the improved badge?
Andrew in Romania

oscar

Well that's pretty much what I had in mind ;D ;D  I shall wait to see what others think.

Thanks for your efforts Andrew.  Your help so far has been much appreciated by all.

1973 350SE, my first & fave

Andrew116

I'm very glad you like it Oscar... I remember you and Ryan in South Africa solving my first problem with the car... when I became a member of this forum... now I know it's worth all the effort to acomplish such great thing and becoming friend with great people on this forum..

Let's see what the others will say... once more: this is not final... this is just a low quality sketch... ok?  ;D

Thanks... Andrew in Romania

oscar

Andrew, I couldn't help myself.  I had to try out photoshop again and I found the lasoo tool.  How cool is that thing.  It chopped the star down a little but anyway, I managed to stamp in the ball like background to see how it looked.  Not only that, I tried tracing the car to convert it futher into a line drawing.  Also I started shading like the gullwing badge on the second page.  But I'm giving up again, for the moment.  Your right about the time it takes to make a good line drawing. I just wanted to see how the background would look.

It's a shame we're not producing an SL badge. Here's a car drawing ready to go.

Quote from: oscar on 17 January 2007, 06:26 AM
I don't suppose we could colour code each badge to match our own cars ;D ? That would raise the cost a bit.  I'd have red, white and black ;)

If you want to go really custom, we could have our handle put on there...poor Big R, he'd need like 30 badges  :D  Just joking...

But in all seriousness, Andrew's latest version is positively stellar.

oscar

Quote from: 116.025 on 17 January 2007, 11:33 AM
If you want to go really custom, we could have our handle put on there...poor Big R, he'd need like 30 badges  :D  Just joking...

But in all seriousness, Andrew's latest version is positively stellar.

:D

As much as I like the dimpled background, I think the dimples which are pressed into the back of the badge are unique to whoever officially makes MB badges and whoever we go with would have to design and make a press which would significantly add to the price.  So I'll drop this idea.
The badge is coming along nicely though.

macatron

The most recent design looks beautiful.  We certainly have a wealth of talent on this forum.  Thank you all for taking this idea so far - it has gone well beyond even what I envisioned.

Des

The designs just keep getting better and better,

you guys have put in a lot of effort and time on these designs.

s class

I'm completely happy wit the new design.  The angled pose is purposeful, the laurels are great the wording is to the point and few enough letters to work on the small size. Why should the dimples be so expensive?

Some have mentioned personalised versions/colours-  I think this is out of the question on costs basis.

I would buy at least two, possibly three depending on the costs.

Ryan

Thanks to all of you!

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Mforcer

Just a thought... Why not a key ring rather than grille badge? We could then buy them as gifts for people that don't own a W116 and can't make use of a grille badge.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

oscar

Grill and matching key ring!!!

3 of each please. 

God knows I'll lose key rings or break them.  I have (supposedly) a 190sl key ring which is virtuallly the same as the current circle and star pendant style keyring.  But the chain and lock on this one is much cooooler. I had it for about two months before I somehow punched the middle out and lost the star.  So now it's two rings connected by chain :(

oscar

Hoddo on the first few pages gave some links re him being able to do screenprinting.  I like s-class's idea re the embroidery.  Silver thread in the font style of the trunk lid badge would look good on a polo shirt.  A screenprint of the the badge design would work well on a tee I think.

Re the design.  Andrew, I'm trying to help.  I know your busy and I'm on holidays so I've got time.  But I can't wrap my head around photoshop.  I though at least I may be able to finish the line drawing of the car but I can't.

Three things
- as it is, the badge manufacturer will have to do their own artwork so maybe I/we shouldn't fuss too much about the little details.  Looking at some UK based badgeries  (is that a term? It is now), they can work off a hand drawing and do a bloody good job at converting it to an enamelled badge.
- secondly I've modded the car a little to show what highlights would look like.  Very rough, but it gives an idea of the black/white contrast plus silver lines. I was trying to get it to have the same appearance as the gullwing badge below
- lastly, the dimpled background, I'm confused.  Was that popular or not?  I thought it was thumbs down until I read s-class' post and reread others.  re the cost, I thought if gullwing owners couldn't afford dimples what chance have we? :D ;)

It's kinda very rough :-[  The gullwing below is the effect I was trying to produce.  Maybe the wheels could be filled in with bundts or caps.  that would look better IMO than white.

s class

Guys, I'm keen on these grille badges.  Is anyone willing to take up the responsibility of having them produced?

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Martin 280s

Although I like the idea floating around on this thread, the badges which were created through the Yahoo group can be seen at the following address
http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/mercedesw116/photos/browse/78e7

Does anyone remember them and who had them made?

gregdeklerk

If I remember correctly, it was some guy in America by the name of Matt. I have attached a picture of mine on the grille of my old 280S. It is the badge on your left. It is not a great picture, but I will post a better one later.

Greg