News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Grille Badge

Started by macatron, 29 December 2006, 07:00 PM

James R

I'd love a W112 or W113. Sorry. Just had to mention that. They're gorgeous.

Sounds like we're coming to a landing on the badge. Time for a vote yet ?
1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

Andrew116

:(  I'm sad... because evryone is loosing interest... or is it just me...
I asked for indications because I don't have yet a full year in owning a w116, and James is right... we should vote.
If oscar or styria or a qualified member of the forum could think on the choises that could be voted it would be great. I hope we don't get carried by the wave and forget about this... it could really be nice. I guess...  :-\

Waiting here, going nowhere, hoping to get an answer.

Andrew in Romania.

Quote from: Andrew116 on 16 January 2007, 10:16 AM
:(  I'm sad... because evryone is loosing interest...

Woah, my friend!  Don't be sad!  I'm pumped about getting a grille badge (I'll probably order 3)!  I thought the second design was incredible!  Maybe remove the "The First S Class" text, and it'll be super.  The angle pose is wunderbar.

oscar

Andrew,

I'm with 116.025.  I think I'm like a few others too, just hanging back to see any further contributions.  Your animated avatar shows off a side on pose which had me wondering again, but I do like the angled look with star. Still undecided about the wording but happy to go with what's decided upon.

If I think back to how long it took for styria's AMG spoiler to get interest, fabricated and shipped, it doesn't surprise me that the badge may take a while even though it's a much cheaper and smaller item.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Mforcer

Quote from: oscar on 11 January 2007, 09:07 AM
Above all - Attn admin!! Can w116.org be used?

Absolutely! In fact, I have started to think about a line of items (shirts, caps, mugs etc) with our logo. They could be sold directly through the site. No promises at this stage.

As for the logo, I love to see what everyone has come up with. How about using the logo from the website or similar design without so much detail. I think it would be much clearer when the image is smaller. I wish I could contribute some designs but my computer graphics skills are sorely lacking.

As another idea, could you try replacing the wreath with MB stars and remove the star from the centre?
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

oscar

Quote from: Mforcer on 16 January 2007, 07:17 PM
Quote from: oscar on 11 January 2007, 09:07 AM
Above all - Attn admin!! Can w116.org be used?
Absolutely! In fact, I have started to think about a line of items (shirts, caps, mugs etc) with our logo. They could be sold directly through the site. No promises at this stage.

Great news on all accounts!!!

QuoteAs for the logo, I love to see what everyone has come up with. How about using the logo from the website or similar design without so much detail. I think it would be much clearer when the image is smaller. I wish I could contribute some designs but my computer graphics skills are sorely lacking.

Speaking of the site's logo, is there any chance of emailing the uncut/unchopped version to Andrew?

For the moment we've just used altered photos which is much easier then doing line drawings for each version of the badge, though I don't know how macatron drew his.  The end design submitted to the badgery  ::) must be a line drawing like the website's logo and the gullwing badge in my post on the 2nd page, since there's no way the badgery could replicate too much detail.  But they're all drafts atm. 

If the angled view is decided upon and the unchopped version of the logo is available, that would make a perfect centre piece for the badge.  Especially with w116.org being used.

QuoteAs another idea, could you try replacing the wreath with MB stars and remove the star from the centre?

Sorry, you don't get input, we just needed permission. :D :D
I'm kidding. :D  This is what I was talking about in my previous post, ie more ideas and fresh ones.  I'd like to see a mockup before I pass judgement, hopefully Andrew will oblige.

chazchuzzlewitt

I like the design, maybe loose 'the first s-class' text... and how would a front-on view look or no car at all?
put me down for one anyway if it goes ahead... if not i might just print the design and stick it in my back window!

behrthermostat

I also like the current design, and I also prefer that we don't put "the first s-class" text in there (108 and/or 111 owners out there might disagree, hehehe).  But I like the car's diagram to be present (maybe situated in the middle, in front of the star).  I don't mind if the car's facing you straight-on or angled.   :D

Andrew116

First of all... I must apologise for my behaviour and for being so impulsive.  :(
Just that a BMW smacked me down because he ran a red light... back pains and angry  >:(
Back to the subject then... I'll try to make 2-3 new proposals... regarding:
Quote from: styria on 16 January 2007, 04:51 PM
Andrew, I also like the picture of the 116 partly obscuring the star, although I would prefer to see more of the star. Regards again, Styria
vs
Quote from: Mforcer on 16 January 2007, 07:17 PM
As another idea, could you try replacing the wreath with MB stars and remove the star from the centre?
vs
Quote from: behrthermostat on 16 January 2007, 09:36 PM
But I like the car's diagram to be present (maybe situated in the middle, in front of the star).

Quote from: styria on 16 January 2007, 04:51 PM
Just one mre thought on the design and colours-I really like the colour scheme rendition that Des submitted on 31st December....
...... Regards again, Styria

Quote from: oscar on 16 January 2007, 07:57 PM
Speaking of the site's logo, is there any chance of emailing the uncut/unchopped version to Andrew?
If the angled view is decided upon and the unchopped version of the logo is available, that would make a perfect centre piece for the badge.  Especially with w116.org being used.
hopefully Andrew will oblige.

That would be great.... it could save me 3-4 hours of drawing. I can draw it myself but being on the work all the time it's hard to do anything else.
So I'll come back soon and again please accept my apologies....

Andrew in Romania

Des

Quote from: Andrew116 on 16 January 2007, 10:16 AM
:(  I'm sad... because evryone is loosing interest... or is it just me...

No not at all, I think you have all made some wonderful designs and comments, only hard thing will be for a decision on which badge to go for.

Andrew116

Here are with and without the star the new badges and withou "First s-class":

Going on with details... started drawing...
Lots of work... maybe tommorow will get it done.
Waiting for opinions..

Andrew in Romania

Des

Andrew I like the one you just posted with the star in the background, looks perfect

WGB

I like the one with the star in it - the first one on the previous post - looks brilliant.

Can't be a Mercedes-Benz without a star.

Bill

Des

For the colour scheme if you used the badge like this with, well I'm not sure what colour for the car in the background?

oscar

You're right Des, the background should be the metal/silver base colour.  It would be good to get the tiny balls effect that's is on the radiator badge but this might cost more.  Even if it's flat, silver should be the colour there. 

My preferrences would be -
-I like the wording Andrew has in his last post.
-Dark blue surround with silver borders similar to canadian badge and our radiator badge.
-Background Star, same dark blue with silver edges
-Car angled in the middle of the badge,not up top. The colour should be bright purple - Just kidding  ;D  White car. Although I may seem biased having a white car, I think the car will stand out the most this way.

I don't suppose we could colour code each badge to match our own cars ;D ? That would raise the cost a bit.  I'd have red, white and black ;)