News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Grille Badge

Started by macatron, 29 December 2006, 07:00 PM

oscar

A few more to ponder trying to match the ideas above. Maca's front on appearance makes a comeback ;)

All drafts of course. The German flag filling in the entire background,  I'm not to sure of though I don't mind the colours. I tend to agree with James although the dimple design needs some more contrast in colour I reckon.

1973 350SE, my first & fave

gregdeklerk

Guys,

Once we have finally agreed on a design, as far as the mounting of the badge goes, I have had some experience with the badges we have made for the Mercedes Club here. I suggest that we stay away from welding or soldering mounting screws to the back of the badge, as these just tend to break. We should rather do what Mercedes does with their high mileage badges - they drill holes on either side, so the mounting screw holds the badge in place and there is no danger of breaking.

What do you think?
Greg

macatron

Hi All,

Inspired by Oscar's post, I've decided to post another variant of my front-on theme as frankly, I lack the skill to make a suitable 3/4 pose.  I'm not sure how elaborate a design can be replicated on these badges...

Martin 280s

The proposed designs are very jazzy but, I feel they're just too busy. A simple badge would be much more fetching as we shouldn't detract from the car. But why put a picture of the car on the badge when the badge is attached to the car?!

Andrew116

Quote from: Martin 280s on 05 February 2007, 05:12 AM
The proposed designs are very jazzy but, I feel they're just too busy. A simple badge would be much more fetching as we shouldn't detract from the car. But why put a picture of the car on the badge when the badge is attached to the car?!

Hi Martin, you might be right as concerning the grille badge... but, as the others say, it's not only about the badge.
As I read these days, key rings, stickers etc. were proposed. So you came up with a great idea on simplifying one of them.  ;)
Hope the others will jump in with thoughts.

PS: Still drawing the Corel version... the program is buggy so if I forget to save... I start all over again  ::)

Andrew in Romania

Martin 280s

Quote from: Andrew116 on 05 February 2007, 05:23 AM
Quote from: Martin 280s on 05 February 2007, 05:12 AM

Hi Martin, you might be right as concerning the grille badge... but, as the others say, it's not only about the badge.
As I read these days, key rings, stickers etc. were proposed. So you came up with a great idea on simplifying one of them.  ;)
Hope the others will jump in with thoughts.

PS: Still drawing the Corel version... the program is buggy so if I forget to save... I start all over again  ::)

Andrew in Romania

Andrew, I think a  badge like your 'picture' below your name on the left would be good, similar to the grille badge, maybe in blue and gold, just the wreaths and a star with the dimple background.

James R

I like Macatron's last concept as it is simple. I'd make it even simpler by taking out the globe part.
1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

gregdeklerk

He who has the vision, has the job.....  Why don't we just take a vote on the design and let democracy do its thing?

James R

Which design, Greg ?
1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

oscar

How about I put all the main badge designs on one page in another thread for everyone to vote on?  I'll make them all the same size.

EDIT:
No vote yet,  but one will come soon.  I like all of them.  What a mess! :D :D Too many to choose from.  Plus Andrew might have something polished up his sleeve so I'd rather wait till he finishes his project/s.  Afterall, he's put most of the effort in and there's no way I could've come up with my variations had he not done the hard yards so I could copy and change them.  I can't even draw concentric circles. :-[ Shame there wasn't one badge available from the get-go.  Nevermind, it's been an interesting excercise.   I thought I might just throw them all together for everyone to look at in one spot.  gregdeklerk also mentioned something interesting about preference for screw holes v's soldered screws.  Appearance wise I'd prefer hidden soldered screws but I've never owned a badge before.

Anyway, have a look at them, make comments if you will.  See what Andrew has to say or add.  Then we'll vote, and gauge the interest in the selected design and wording.  If you've got something else, even if a handdrawing, post it in now and one of us can try and photoshop it like the other badges.

Cheers ;)

A  B  C  D
E  F  G  H
I      J  K  L
M  N  O  P
Q  R  S   T

Quote from: Michel on 09 February 2007, 01:41 AM
I am wondering if it is not too much trouble 'numbering' or 'naming' the badges you've just posted.
It will make it easy to discuss..
Can you?  ::)

You're right.  All fixed up now. Cheers

James R

My vote goes for "H"

Happy weekend everyone.

All the best,

James
1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

koan

I've been quietly watching the great badge debate, it must be the most active thread ever, lots of contributions and comments, and we have kept it "nice" as well.

To me the important elements of the badge should be that it is obviously Mercedes-Benz, it should be simple but have class and finally, distinctive. My interpretation of this is that the star and circle should be prominent, only two colours keep it simple and choice of colours should make the badge distinctive. Blue and white are the obvious choices but black on white or white on black would look good, or possibly red and white.

Maybe we should think about what the Stuttgart designers would have done for our badge, I doubt they would have gone for the multicolour designs.

The 116 image is redundant, It makes no sense to put a w116.org badge on anything other than a 116.

I like Andrew116's early designs, the uncluttered star and circle with appropriate text. I have  taken the liberty of altering badge M from oscar's compilation by deleting the map, flag and car.

Something like this should be suitable for badges, keys, cups and bags etc.

Can we make the vote a two stage process, narrow it down to four and then chose one of the four?

As far as firm orders go I think we should commit to purchasing one (or more) of what ever badge the democratic vote comes up with.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Martin 280s

I like design S, it would really stand out in blue on gold. However, blue on sliver would be a charm to combine with my car!! ;D

Brian Crump

If we use the word Mercedes we potentially breach Daimler-Chrysler copyright and would need to seek their permission before using it. The same applies for the use of any brand name. Sorry to be the bearer of not such exciting news but it is better to deal with that now than include a name which we then have to ammend. www.116.org is owned by the admisintrator of this site and of course he is able to authorise its use on a badge.......do we have any copyright lawyers on the site who can clarify this?
Regards,
Brian

oscar

Andrew,
was there any other designs you had before voting begins?

I added Koan's suggestion as "S" and martin's as "T".  Couldn't reproduce a flat gold appearance for the background or change the wording colour for lack of graphic skills but I'm sure you guy's can use your imagination.

I'll start two voting threads in the next couple of days.  One will be for the design, the second for the wording.  I agree with koan that the choice be narrowed down however I'll throw them all in at first then we'll see where the interest lies and go from there. 

Michel,
the owner v non owner poll.    You could start one out of interest sake but from your post I was wondering if you're worried about non prospective purchasers voting in an unpopular design.  Unfortunately, an owner poll would be as open to abuse as the badge poll IMO.  It's the kind of forum that one wouldn't expect to witness that kind of sabotage but you never know.  We shall see what happens but whilst the polls will be confidential, any doubts could be quashed by individuals posting what they voted for.

Brian,
interesting point.  I'm sure many will think it's pedantic but it's been something I've been thinking about if I do ever get round to making moulds of indicator lenses and ignition wire holders.  A sheriff may come knocking on my door with summons by Bosch and Daimler if I make them for anyone other than myself.  FWIW, when I was into model trains a little while back the very topic came up whereby model manufacturers required permission to replicate current trademarks owned by the many private rail companies around today.  However, logos of bankrupted or no longer existent entities with no subsequent owners didn't.  Same goes for replicating model parts of manufacturers of old no longer existent model manufacturers eg Lionel. 

Mercedes Benz are very much still around, but if a cease and desist order was attempted, I wonder if the fact the whole brand name wasn't used would be a saving grace.  Mind you, I'd hate to argue that the badge does not resemble an MB radiator badge. :-[

A  B  C  D
E  F  G  H
I      J  K  L
M  N  O  P
Q  R  S   T