News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Grille Badge

Started by macatron, 29 December 2006, 07:00 PM

Mforcer

I am still keen to see the grille badge develop but I feel that further work is required with the outline of the car. I don't think we can be ready to look at badge suppliers until we are all happy with the actual design. Unfortunately I don't have the photoshop skills (nor even a copy of photoshop) to assist with the design.

As for something else, I will be looking into three possible items using the site logo found at the top of each page;

• a key ring,
  • window stickers for the rear window of your car, and
  • 'business' cards to place under the windscreen of other W116 we may pass by, encouraging them to this site.

More food for thought :)
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

s class

styria,

I agree with most of what you say.  You mention dropping the site address from the badge to give it greater appeal (and hence sell in larger numbers).  That's fine, but then we loose some of our individuality, which I think some of us are looking for in a badge.  I for one would like to see the site address on the badge - that's the only way the badge is going to address our main aim of growing the site's quality and appeal. 

Granted, it will cost us more for a badge of greater exclusivity/narrower appeal, but I suppose then it comes down to prices.  I too would be interested in 2 or three - price dependant.  I imagine if the price were right, we may reach the 60 mark, though it could be difficult.  So I suppose the next step from here is to find out what an approximate cost would be, per badge, ,assuming an order of 60.  I think that once we have a budgeting price, members would be more willing to commit to purchase.   If we can't get 60 firm committments at that price, well then its a no-go.

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

gregdeklerk

Surely we should run a poll to get the confirmed numbers?

Andrew116

Sadly to say I didn't take the pictures... From the license plate I know it's about 200 kms from me but the pics I remember to be from another benz gallery.

Concerning the car's line... I can draw it in Corel and also convert the text to curves... well this is what I do 5 days a week  ;D

See ya soon... Andrew

macatron

Hello All,

I am sorry for my absence; I have been at my bachelor party.  I have read through the posts and here are my thoughts.

First, the badge should be made of cloisonne.  It is a superior technique to enamel and is similar to what one would receive from M-B for the high-mileage award.  I have found someone on the web (in the USA) who could produce such a product for what I think is a reasonable price.  Here is the web address: http://www.arniebrown.com/.  Of course, I haven't dealt with this person but the quality seems to be quite high.  Also, we'd have to commit to a certain qty.  Pricing is included on the site in USD.

I like my design (obviously) but I will admit that it lacks artistic flair.  The reason I like mine is because it is simple and I think given the process of manufacturing these badges, whether cloisonne or enamel would reward a simple design.  However, I also think that Andrew116's execution is elegant and very stylish.  My main concern is the level of detail - could it be reproduced in cloisonne or enamel?  I'm not sure.

In reading peoples' posts, I now feel like my statement of "First S-Class" is too controversial.  I think W116.org is good because after all, this is where we congregate.  I do think we all agree that "International W116 Enthusiasts Group" or something very similar should appear on the outer blue ring.  I also am quite fond of the laurel branches.

Ultimately, what I think I would like to see is "INT'L W116 ENTHUSIASTS GROUP" on the top and "W116.ORG" on the bottom with laurel branches separating the two phrases.  I think the abbreviation will be necessary so that the typeface isn't distorted.  All of this would be silver relief with an M-B blue background.  In the center, I would like to see a white background with a line drawing of the W116 like the one that appears on the top of the forum's pages.  I think it would be kind of fun if we could use European bumpers with the 4 headlight setup of the American cars to stress the international angle of the web group but I don't know how much support I'll get on this!   ;)  Perhaps the car could be filled in with silver or some other color.  Accent colors would definitely help it pop off the badge.  Lastly, I would like to see the 3-point star in the background.  I think a blue star would be tasteful.

I would like to have a grille badge over a key ring simply because I think it is a big yet tasteful way to show pride in one's affiliations and activities.  In my area of the globe, it is something that is quite traditional for Mercedes-Benzes in particular because of M-B's issuance of a grille badge for their high mileage award.

Sorry all as this post is a bit rambling.  I will see what I can do to illustrate my revised proposal.  What a great group we have!!!

Mforcer

Quote from: macatron on 29 January 2007, 11:52 PM
What a great group we have!!!

My thoughts exactly!

Before continuing, I just want to add that regardless of anyones position with the site or preparing the badges, we all must accept that not everyone will like all the ideas. I am sure we can work out a badge design together :)

I like my design (obviously) but I will admit that it lacks artistic flair.  The reason I like mine is because it is simple and I think given the process of manufacturing these badges, whether cloisonne or enamel would reward a simple design.  However, I also think that Andrew116's execution is elegant and very stylish.  My main concern is the level of detail - could it be reproduced in cloisonne or enamel?  I'm not sure.

I agree with this; a simple outline of the car would look best on the small scale.

In reading peoples' posts, I now feel like my statement of "First S-Class" is too controversial.  I think W116.org is good because after all, this is where we congregate.  I do think we all agree that "International W116 Enthusiasts Group" or something very similar should appear on the outer blue ring.  I also am quite fond of the laurel branches.

Ultimately, what I think I would like to see is "INT'L W116 ENTHUSIASTS GROUP" on the top and "W116.ORG" on the bottom with laurel branches separating the two phrases.  I think the abbreviation will be necessary so that the typeface isn't distorted.  All of this would be silver relief with an M-B blue background.  In the center, I would like to see a white background with a line drawing of the W116 like the one that appears on the top of the forum's pages.

I think it would be kind of fun if we could use European bumpers with the 4 headlight setup of the American cars to stress the international angle of the web group but I don't know how much support I'll get on this!   ;)  Perhaps the car could be filled in with silver or some other color.  Accent colors would definitely help it pop off the badge.  Lastly, I would like to see the 3-point star in the background.  I think a blue star would be tasteful.

I would prefer not to abbreviate with INT'L but rather have "INTERNATIONAL W116 ENTHUSIASTS GROUP" or even just "W116 ENTHUSIASTS GROUP". Even without mentioning International, we are not mentioning any particular country.

My preferred alternatives would be "INTERNATIONAL ENTHUSIASTS GROUP" around the top and "W116" or "W116.org" around the bottom. Why repeat the term W116 when the image should reveal the focus of our club? I would absolutely love to see W116.org on the badge but will leave that up to everyone else.

As for the Euro vs USA style bumpers, I feel that we need to respect the home land of our cars and what the original design was.

I am not convinced about the 3-point star on the badge behind the car. I feel it may add to the clutter on the badge and detract from the car. Being a badge on the grille, there should be a large enough 3-pointed star just above the badge ;)

I would like to have a grille badge over a key ring simply because I think it is a big yet tasteful way to show pride in one's affiliations and activities.  In my area of the globe, it is something that is quite traditional for Mercedes-Benzes in particular because of M-B's issuance of a grille badge for their high mileage award.

Who said we can't have both?! :)
Michael
2006 B200

macatron

Oh yes, I certainly agree we can have both.  But, if we are forced to choose grille badge over key chain, etc., I wanted to cast my vote.

Also, I see the validity of your statement that W116 should not be repeated.  I would vote, then, for "INTERNATIONAL ENTHUSIASTS GROUP" AND "W116.ORG" separated by the laurel branches.

I can take or leave the 3 point star behind the car in the center.  I like the execution of it in Andrew116's design.  Perhaps it could be incorporated in another way?

Lastly, I see your point about the bumpers.  I figured it wouldn't be a popular suggestion especially as I get the impression many see the American version as a bastardization of the form.  However, I do love those headlights...   ;D  I concede that it doesn't make much sense to combine aspects of multiple versions and when in question, it seems most logical to revert to the original.

At this point, I feel my view is maybe even TOO well-covered so I will back off so that we can hear from the other members!

s class

Guys, I agree in general with the direction this is taking.  My desires (with respect) are :

1) laurels separating the upper and lower text
2) the lower text should be W116.org - since this is who we are
3) upper text.  I think it needs to be as brief as possible due to limited space.  If "INTERNATIONAL ENTHUSIASTS GROUP" will fit, that would be great.
4) I like the idea of the car at an angle, either something like Andrew has drawn, or what's at the top of our page.  The simplicity of the line drawing on this page may win through due to practicalities. 
5) whether its enamel or whatever I really know nothing about this, so I'll leave it up to those who do. 
6) I prefer a grille barge over a key-ring, as at least a badge can be seen at club meets etc.  No-one will ever see my key-ring except me, and I already have a number of key rings from MB museum and others.

7) wherever in the world the badge is made, someone needs to be willing to handle the shipping, and be able to receive payment, either by credit card or paypal.

Ryan (respectfully plugging his wishes)

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

oscar

Macatron, I thought you'd be in Honolulu on a beach by now on your honeymoon.  Didn't expect to hear from you for a while.

I agree with maca's type of cloisonné enamelling and thanks for the link to the badge maker.  I've been googling badgeries over the last few days with mixed results.  These blokes seem to have just what we'd want with the right quality and the screws attached in the right place. Here's the link again since it's on the previous page http://www.arniebrown.com/

I like their explanation of the manufacturing process and the thickness of the badge will give the badge strength unlike the factory pressed radiator badge.  So I'd be happy to go with these guys.  At $23.50US it's a good price for under 50 badges.  These guys can accept paypal too. The badge maker would have to be approached to see if many payments or a single payment is required. 

I nominate shipping to be organised by maca.  He volunteered for it in a roundabout way on the first page. ;) 

Re the design;

-the car IMO should appear ambidextrous.  My attempt at a line drawing reflects it with no steering wheel or wipers visible, so does the website logo.  The bumpers are the only problem, but you know ::) Euros look  8) ;D
-I too am happy with the wording and surround with laurel etc.
-I like the angled car better as I think it shows the car's shape more than front on.  On a 3" badge with a 2" car, true the detail has to be kept to a minimum. An eventual final line drawing or use of the above logo will reflect that I believe.
-As for the rest. Background star and colours, with or without, I'm easy.
-keyrings, yes them too.  If there's enough interest, I'll have three of those too.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

James R

I wonder if we shouldn't have a vote and get on with it now ?

(1) Someone (Michael / Mforcer - suggest that be you) needs to propose something (i.e. choose the final design) and then for the W116 massive to say how many they would like to buy and what of (badges, key rings, stickers etc).

Then.

(2) Someone needs to approach a supplier (Oscar - suggest you approach the company you saw on the net) and project manage the order and delivery (OK Oscar ?). The owner of this part of the project should say if he needs money up front (via a Paypal account ?) or if he's happy to work on trust or if the supplier can handle the charging directly to individuals.

I think (just my humble opinion) that we've talked this one through enough and that we should act now. What do you all think ? Discussion could last for ever unless someone takes a decision and acts. Just being practical is all. Hope no one is offended because that's not at all my intent.

Cheers,

James
1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

macatron

Hi All,

Hawai'i is in 3 weeks!  Until then, I'm still hanging around.

The only thing we need to do is finalize a .jpg image of the badge, I believe.  I think all the ideas are floating around out there and all we need to do is put them into a finished image for people to approve.

I will try to get another trial version of Photoshop.  Mforcer, would you be able to get me a complete version of the image from the header of the website?  I'd like to use it because it is ambidextrous as suggested (steering wheel doesn't appear) and it is simple enough that I think it could be reproduced in cloisonne.

I'd like this to be taken care of before addressing the supplier regarding payment especially as I've never worked with this medium before and am not sure what limits or changes the mfr. might suggest.  How does that sound?

Mike

oscar

Thumbs up from me! ;D 

BTW maca, my full version of photoshop was downloaded off Limewire.  Give that a shot. Rego details are in a readme file with the download I think.

oscar

Must be time to bump up the grille badge again :D :D

But seriously.  I've had a long think about styria's post re the design.  He's right about the likeness to other MB badges.  That may or may not be a bad thing, yet I've tried to open my mind to the possibility of making it stand out more or just to be different.  There's elements of the MB logos and trademark's I personally don't want to lose but taking it to the extreme, who said it has to be a round badge?  But I'm not that open minded at this stage.  :D

I know there's an air of C'ARN.  That's aussie for "Hurry up please" :D But I don't mind the wait to make sure we get one that we are all mostly happy with. 8)  Styria's brought on some more ideas and although I'm 50/50 about changing wording, plus I don't know how to, just focus on the colours for a moment and whadya think? I like the german flag/colours. Anything else? Any more ideas, don't hold back.  As usual, keep in mind my photoshopping is very substandard. ::) Cheers.

I'd do more straight ones but photoshop wont let me

James R

The problem with putting the German flag behind the car is that people with either think that you are German or that this forum is German. I think best to keep it simple and leave it with the golf ball style dimples as the background. IMHO.

James
1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

Mforcer

It may be worth trying variations of the three colours such that the the outer circle is one of the three colours, the inner background is a another and the vehicle itself is the last colour. Just an idea :)
Michael
2006 B200