News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Grill badge for W116...

Started by Stork, 09 March 2011, 10:33 PM

sannerud

OK Stork, I rest my case. You've done 10 times more research than me... Keep up the good work! :)

Stork

Stork

New proof, I had them shave the tips of the W and enlarge the 7. Not satisfied with the 7 and the 2 so I am going to take the 7 back to original size and make the 2 smaller. Also the left leg is much longer than the right so I am going to make it shorter. Everything else look good so far.

Stork

The second to last proof. Just making the left leg thinner and rotating the # 1, in 2012 a bit, it looks over rotated. Also moving one of the lines between the feathers closer to center it between the feathers, and curving the top right hand line between the feathers. Once done it is off to the prototype stage!

Robert

Mforcer

Another one: the spine on the lower right wing feather is shorter than the lower left.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Stork

Good catch! Thanks... I passed it on. It is amazing if one is too close to a project one can't see the imperfections!

Mforcer

I think there will always be imperfections but it comes down to the imperfections you can live with, or when you have just had enough :)

It is the imperfections that make it unique :)
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Stork

True, just trying to take care of the obvious.... The badge design is now done just waiting for the final proof and then we are off to the prototype stages ;D

Stork

Here is the final proof! I left a few things off to give the badge that hand made look which I think I have managed. I had another proof where everything was perfect and it just looked generic. I am very happy, hope you will be as well!
Now its off to the prototype stage! Here is the last proof...

gavin116

Dear All

I would like to order two of each badge.  I thought that the neck and the body of the eagle may need to be aligned in the same plane?  (It has a very long right shoulder under the "4", and a much shorter shoulder on the left under the "0").

Going to pick up my first W116 on April the 6th! (450.032, 1979, with only 43,500miles.)

Happy days

Gavin
1979 450SE "Mrs White"
2022 Touareg-R 3.0TSi Hybrid
[url="http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/"]http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/[/url]
[url="http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613"]http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613[/url]

Stork

Hello Gavin,
Since the head is turned the chest, neck and head are off center line. Even though this is not an exact interpretation of an eagle I tried to make it look correct if the bird was to pose like this. I also stayed away from making everything exact. I wanted that old badge feel where things where hand drawn then put to production. Not like today... which it is computer generated so everything looks exact and thus one dimensional. This is the final proof and it is how the badge will look.
I am only making this badge not the original W116.org badge. The site is taking numbers to see if there is enough interest to make another run of the original badge. So far I think we are less than ten, someone correct me if I am wrong.
Robert

macatron

The mounting studs broke off both my originals so I'm definitely down for 1 of these new ones!

Mike

M110COUPE

Great work,

Not wanting to stir the pot, but that design would also be great as a sticker on a clear background that could adhere from the inside of  the windows. ( just for the fuddy duddys that might be concerned about the badge getting ripped off the grill by a souvenir hunter, or by the mpg concious who might work out that the extra wind resistance of the badge make their car dip under the 12mpg etc etc hahaha, or the cleaning freak who cant sleep at night thinking about the dirt thats built up between the bage and grill.........but seriously the sticker would be great, and be cheap to produce??

M110COUPE

Theyd make great centre caps for the baroque wheels too!  also help in boosting numbers of production orders!!  or am i just getting carried away now... ::)

Stork

M110COUPE,
You do make an interesting point... Stickers would be cool but now you have me thinking about caps and polo shirts and even tee shirts with this logo on the back and the W116.ORG on the left chest... okay time to slow down my brain... lets get the badges on line first... then we think of the others...
Robert