News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Grill badge for W116...

Started by Stork, 09 March 2011, 10:33 PM

Stork

Well, I did a search and found that there was a grill badge for the W116.org around 2007. Are these still available? Since you guys have been the best help out there I would like to promote the site/club on my grill.
Robert

thysonsacclaim

I think it was a one off thing done at the time and are NLA, from what I read. I saw another member some months ago asking about these since his had fallen off or broken or some such thing. Don't remember who it was.

I'd be interested in one as well. Perhaps a member has extras? Hard to say if they would want to part with them if they are NLA, though  :)

I wonder if a company like Cafe Press or similar could make these for the site so the ORG wouldn't have the overhead of having to purchase a lot of them. IIRC, companies like Cafe Press simply print/press out items on a demand basis.

Adam

Mforcer

From memory, there was a minimum order for about 30 which was mostly pre-sold at the time. They have all since been sold.

If there is enough interest I would be happy to organise another run of badges.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Stork

Might as well start...Two for me...

calvin streeting

I would consider one.. what was the cost.. and can some one post a pic...

Stork

Once I have an idea in my head it is very hard for me to stop thinking about it until I do something about it. So last night I started searching vintage grill badges. There are some very interesting and beautiful ones out there. Since I am a simple man I have always thought that less is more. That being said two badges caught my eye, the  German (Deutschland) and the ADAC badge with the eagle or whatever the animal is (looks like a dragon to me). Anyway it looks great so I decided that using a similar eagle but with the W116 added to it and I came up with this:

Now since I am not computer savvy I would have like it to have a Germanic font (but readable). Anyway I was thinking that one could also replace the years at the bottom with the milage achievements 100,000, 150000, 200,000, 250,000, etc.
So what do you think?
Robert

oscar

Quote from: calvin streeting on 10 March 2011, 04:00 AM
I would consider one.. what was the cost.. and can some one post a pic...

Below is what they looked like.  I think about $25-30 AUD each from memory.  Another design is a good idea.  Something different, maybe something comemorative too later on for the 40th anniversary for the commencement of production but we're still a little way off for that.  There were about 20 different variations to get to that badge below, but I'd love to see some other ideas.  Don't mind the eagle.

EDIT:  There was actually 21 different designs before the final one was selected.  You can view the rough designs and final design via the following 3 links in the gallery.

http://gallery.w116.org/v/garage/oscars/grill+badge/
http://gallery.w116.org/v/garage/oscars/grill+badge/2
http://gallery.w116.org/v/garage/oscars/grill+badge/3

1973 350SE, my first & fave

Hemersam

Anyone know for sure whether any of the badges pictured on Oscar's post are still available? I'd sure like to buy one if they're still for sale by someone.
Hemersam

Stork

Well, with Oscars permission you can have any of those made... I found a company in the US that asks for $200 for the mold then a minimum of 40 at $25 as always price drops with volume.
Robert

Stork

Oscar fancy designing a 40 years badge? I will be more than willing to give input!  ;D

oscar

Mmm possibly, got plenty of time before that anniversary.  Was the official release 72 opr 73?  

It took ages to get to that final badge and a hell of a lot of time on the puter.   I only managed to do it because I had a lot of time on my hands whilst we were building a house.  Or rather the builders were building our house. 

Also re permission and copyright etc, I would assume admin has full rights to those images.  I hate legal talk and disclaimers but I assume I have previously or am happy to reliquish forthwith any rights to images produced by me for badges bearing the name W116.ORG.

Is forthwith a word even ::)
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Stork

Hehehe... lawyers and their funny talk... Like you said; time we have, but maybe we can start with asking others to draw up ideas and slowly build up an archive then we poll and take the next step and so on...
I believe it was late 72... any historians care to enlighten us?
Robert

WGB

From memory Mforcer and several others put a lot of effort into those badges and teh design thread should still be in the back pages..

My 6.9 proudly displays one and from memory I have a spare floating around that I will put on my 450 that was advertised for "free" by an Eastern State ex-member after the "Schism" but I haven't seen it for a year or two.

I will have put it somewhere safe.

Bill

arman

I would also like to have a W116.org grill badge. I think 20-30 AUD or USD is really very priceworthy. I mean it looks like a very beautiful badge. Very nifty to have all the chrome of our cars as bare shiny metal in the badge.

I wouldn't mind leaving the badge as it is. I like it. It's perfect.

I understand that this kind of project needs to be financed up front. One can always decide to order some more when the order is actually placed, for future members or those in doubt ;)
I'm willing to pay up front. Now the question is how many really want a badge and pay up front? I assume we need to come up at at least 30 pieces to order. Does the original mould and colour specs still exist? Does the original supplier still exist :)

Mforcer could you ask for a quote at the original supplier to see how prices really are today?

Best regards!

1974 W116 450 SEL 340.000km
Black exterior (040), olive green velours interior (966)
[url="http://gallery.w116.org/v/show_room/Armans450sel/"]http://gallery.w116.org/v/show_room/Armans450sel/[/url]

Martin 280s

I have that very badge on my car and can boast that is the ONLY one in Brazil!