News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Grill badge for W116...

Started by Stork, 09 March 2011, 10:33 PM

Stork

Quick update... I just sent them an email to see how the prototype is coming out... Once they write back I will let every one know.
Have a great weekend!
Robert

Stork

Good news badge is on its way! I will take pictures and post once I get it...
Robert

Stork

And here it is! So if you want one, send me an email to rab550@mac.com and I will start to take a tally...

Another close up shot to show that the lines inside the eagle are silver as well...

I will put it on my W116 later on today, just need to get the hardware...
Enjoy!
Robert

Stork

I forgot to put the price. For W116.org members it will be $30 USD plus shipping. I will be approving the order for 40 badges Friday. I will also put these on ebay (once I get them), but at a higher price. I will find out manufacturing time frame and post it here.
Thanks to all that have placed orders!
Robert

bronzy935

I would like to buy two please: postage to UK.

Stork

Hello all, just doing a recap of who wants a badge. Please let me know if you want to be added to the list or taken off. I will figure out post to Europe, Australia, Africa, etc. this week. I am also working on finding the correct mounting hardware. I did not like the ones that they provided. The new hardware should get here Wednesday. I decided to go with stainless steel.
Delivery time to me is around 3 weeks. So figure you should get yours 2 weeks after I get them. I will send everyone an email for payment instructions once the badges are in. So start saving one dollar every day from this Monday and by the time I get the badges, you can purchase one! ;D

2 powerglide    
1 Hemersam    
1 1974450SEL  
1 koan        
1 UTn_boy        
2 gavin116        
1 macatron        
2 bronzy935      
2 Ryan                
2 Michael
2 oscar           

Thanks to all!
Robert

P.S. we have 15 so far (plus another 4 from friends down in South Florida) It looks like I will be placing an order for 40 (minimum order) So if you want one act now...

MB_Mike

Thanks for all the work you did on this Stork. It looks very nice, but I am going to take a pass at this time. I am sure you will get a great response to this from others and you seem to be off to a great start.
1987 Home market 560 SEL

Stork

No worries Mike, there will be plenty left for now if you change our mind. I am still waiting for the hardware once here I will put it on my grill and take some shots.
Robert

oscar

Two for me too stork please.  Just sent email 8)
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Stork

Okay guys, I am a bit pissed off at myself for not thinking through this issue. I received the hardware today and put the badge on the bottom right side of the grill...

Looks good right, but when I went to open the bonnet/hood it would not open. Why because bolts are too long and caught on the the A/C pressure unit. Easy fix, purchase shorter bolts or cut the bolt after placing the badge.
So I decided to move it to see how it would look on the other side...

Looks great! And the long bolt fits fine. But then it hit me and I almost slapped myself for it. When I did the measurements for the holes I only did them for the lower part of the grill not anywhere else, And I just realized that I am not the only human on earth... So I took it off and moved it around the grill and now the measurement that was taken for the lower area of the grill does not equate to centers of the rest of the grill. That and I never took into account the slight angel of the inner fins. So this is what it would look like else where on the grill...

Now it could go on top of both chrome horizontals but it has a tendency to slip. So unless something is place behind the badge to give it more leverage this is most likely the way it will remain. Another option is to bend the bolts to the angel of the fins... but to me this is just rigging it.
So now I ask all of the future purchasers of this badge what should I do?
Here are my options:

1. Build a new badge and move the holes 8mm up, then it would center with the rest of the grill. By doing this, one will not be able to center it on the bottom right or left of the grill (and It will cost more money since I have to order a new mold).
2. Go ahead and order the badge the way it is, in which if you want it centered the only area to place it will be the lower right of left side of the grill.

I am leaning toward option one cause it gives the greatest possibilities but I have to pay for a new mold :(

oscar

Just speaking for myself here but it doesn't worry me too much.  I'm happy with option 2 and even happy to put my own fasteners in or make a plate to fit it elsewhere on the grill if I have any problems.  I'm willing to go with the majority but FWIW I'm happy with it as is.  Looks stunning. 
1973 350SE, my first & fave

macatron

I'm with Oscar...  I'm not too worried, either.  I'll make it work one way or another.

Mike

s class

I'll live with it the way it is.

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Stork

Hey guys, thanks for the positive reinforcement!
I have decided to go ahead and make a new badge. I just can't live with myself knowing I could have corrected my mistake and didn't cause of money... I will just charge more for the eBay badges, but for W116.org members the price stays at $30 plus shipping. It will take another 30 to 45 days to manufacture the badge so I will keep everyone updated.
As for the mounting holes... I took the measurements once more and it will never really be on center due to the angle of the inner fins so I will make is as close as I can for 75 percent of the grill.

Robert

wonwon6

Bloody fantastic job!

I'm down for two as well. (replied to email)

Ross