News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Grill badge for W116...

Started by Stork, 09 March 2011, 10:33 PM

Stork

That is why being the dictator with this badge is good... I am always willing to hear advice but it does not mean I have to take it ;D I am doing this for me and I figured others would want one as well. Anyone can do one it just take a bit of time and some money. At the end of the day if I sell them all I break even, and that is fine by me. What is most important to me is that people enjoy my creation and are happy with it. Who knows if more than 40 folks want one I will make another batch. Not only that but now I kind off like making these! I have a few other ideas but as they say baby steps, baby steps ;)

oscar

Quote from: Stork on 15 March 2011, 01:11 PM

Quote from: Stork on 15 March 2011, 07:39 PM
That is why being the dictator with this badge is good...

Have to agree.  You put something out there and in the end it goes ahead or not.  I love the image we came up with for the ORG's badge and as stated, many hours, posts and tweaking were undertaken to get there.  It would've been so, so much easier to put the image forward and "say here it is, who wants one" but unfortunately there was nothing refined to start with and without the input and work done, we wouldn't have that image.  So ultimately, not only was the process worth it but also needed.   

I do hope the ORG's originals get a rerun at some stage for those that want one and missed out and I wouldn't mind seeing another ORG badge in the future for whatever reason or occasion.  For an individual effort though, I'm pretty impressed so far stork.  Your image is growing on me and when it comes to adding to a small collection of merc badges I think I'd like one of yours to add to it. 
1973 350SE, my first & fave

s class

I bought two of the original badges at the time, one is on my red 6.9, the other is on my 280SE daily driver.  It has done thousands of km there, and seen all weather.  It has stood up to the elements very well, and I still regularly get people asking me about it. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Stork

Okay color is a better red, dates and dash have been centered, eagle has been cleaned up (but they missed thinning out one of the feathers) and the 4 was moved over a bit. The W was also rounded off a bit to flow with the curve of the badge.
Everything looks good to me apart from the feather and now the 0 seems like it should move left a bit so I asked them to do it.
Here is the newest jpeg:

Stork

0 has been moved over to the left a bit and the thick feather is now thin. I still think the number 2 should curve at the bottom maybe the top of the 7 should curve as well.

calvin streeting

Stork

Standard 3 inches, for now.

Stork

After seeing how the original W116.org) badge fit on the grill I decided to do some measurements so this way I can move the mounting hole down a bit. Once done the the badge can center itself between the chrome horizontals (these are 3 inches from bottom to top). So now when you put the badge on, it will fit perfectly.
Robert

MB_Mike

Robert, thanks for the effort and I will be curious to see the final design, and perhaps even a buyer.

If we are keeping a tally for a re-run of the original ORG badge please add me to the list.
1987 Home market 560 SEL

Stork

Alright! Almost there! the only thing that is bothering me is that the 6 looks like it is over rotating so I asked the to rotate it back about .25 mm. I think that will do it... everything else works now the 2's and 7 now have a slight curve and blend into the badge and the 4 and 0 are now line up with the W and 6 which now makes them part of the information on the badge before they got lost inside the eagle. and I have moved the mounting hole down 6 mm so one can aline the badge between the chrome horizontals. One more proof and I think we are ready for the prototype!
One question for all of you do you think the tips of the 'W' need to be curved a bit more? They are a bit curved now but I don't know if it is just an optical illusion...
Here is the latest proof:

koan

The W116 doesn't look quite right to me, maybe because it starts and ends with characters needing more space than the middle pair.

Think it would look better if the 1s were closer together and closer to the W and the 6 moved closer to the 1, then the whole lot centered in the available space.

The 2 in 1972 is too high.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Stork

Good catch on the 2 in 1972... Since I am close to this I miss some things. I will see about the W and 6. I do think the 6 is off... Either way I will have them move things around to see how they look.
Thanks again!

UTn_boy

Robert, I thought that when you were wanting to curve the 2's and the seven you meant that you were going to make them resemble a calligraphic 2 and 7, which I thought was really neat since the crest is of the calligraphic era.  Maybe my eyes are failing me, but I didn't see a difference in the numbers after the fact.  Oh yeah, if you have a batch made, count me in for one, too.  Thoughts?  AARON
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

sannerud

Nice badge, but I don't see the link between ADAC and W116? Personally I would rather have the bird that represents all of Germany attached to my grill...

http://www.rollintl.com/roll/grcoat.htm

Stork

This particular bird design was created from a few old German badges which I took ideas from each and put them together. One was a 1930's ADAC badge, that is where I got the basic idea of simplicity. If you look at the ADAC badge you can tell that there is a big difference in design from my eagle. Frankliy I found their eagle a bit flat and lacking detail. The other was from a vintage Dueshland badge where I got the idea of the feathers and inside feather design see below, and from another Deushland badge I got the legs and talons. All put together we get what I have here... The eagle design for Germany has constantly change over the years. I choose to create an older looking eagle design since our cars are vintage (going on 40 years).

This is the badge that I got most of my design an inspiration. The body was exactly what I was looking for and I really liked the lines between the feathers giving the eagle motion. the head was a bit dull and I didn't like the way the legs where all red:

Here is the ADAC badge. This badge lead me to the idea of simplicity in design.

Robert