News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

FINAL POLL: Grill Badge

Started by oscar, 27 February 2007, 04:12 PM

Pick One Only

H
7 (31.8%)
S
1 (4.5%)
T
14 (63.6%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: 05 March 2007, 04:12 PM

oscar

I was just about to say, I'd rather avoid a poll and was hoping anyone passionate about the size would speak up.  I was for the smaller size but after holding these cutouts and viewing them on the grill, i have to say the 3" badge looks more attractive and I retract the pizza plate reference I made on the other page :)

Looking at some photos of cars with club badges and so forth, some appear to touch and rest on the metal strips, ie they're about 3" in size.  There's some smaller ones too but I'm all for the 3" size after trying both sizes on the car today.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Martin 280s

I think if the badge fits between the strips rather than over them it certainly would be more professional looking.

James R

I agree with my Brazilian colleague. Smaller is best. (Stop it)
1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

Martin 280s

Quote from: James R on 08 March 2007, 03:37 PM
I agree with my Brazilian colleague. Smaller is best. (Stop it)

James, Hate to tell you but I'm a fake Brazilian...born and bred in the north of England!

P.S. My middle name is also James! A friend of my mum's once had an Irish Wolfhound called James, too.

gregdeklerk

Oscar, just a question: Will the manufacturer ship the badges directly to those who have placed orders? It seems simpler this way then you don't have to send them out!

Martin: I see that silly Bush is in your neck of the woods for a visit!! They closed a whole lot of roads in SP!!

oscar

Hi greg; mforcer is likely to take on shipping and payment details from here on in.  I did ask the manufacturer originally about sending some badges individually.  I didn't really get a difinitive response on that.  I'd assume they'd like to put all the badges in one box but it does seem pointless of sending badges back to the US for example.

I believe mforcer is away for a few days.  So I wont speculate atm on how the ordering, payment and shipping process will eventuate. When he gets back hopefully more details will follow some time after.  Meantime, we'll sort the size issue out and I want to fix the dimples before a the mould is made.  Sometime soon hopefully a "hands up who wants in" will be posted.   :)

James R

Well Martin, although you're a confirmed Notherner, I shall forgive you because you have so much James history !

James

PS...Bush in the woods ? Isn't that where they're supposed to be ?
PPS...I want my badge. NOW !
PPPS..Just kidding !
1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

macatron

As for the mounting method, I will be happy with whatever is decided.

However, I do prefer the larger size as the two I currently have (M-B Club of America and my 250,000 km award) are both 3" in diameter.  I'd hate for this one to be dwarfed by the other two!

Incidentally, I'm looking forward to 2008.  Bush will be out of the White House and the new C Class will be at the dealerships.   ;D

Edit - I'll see about posting a picture of my grille and badges tonight for everyone's reference for size.

oscar

Thought I'd share the latest image with you all.  Here's the gallery link if your on a work computer and can't view imageshack pics

I'm finished fiddling with it.  Basically it's had the dimples rearranged so they're concentric circles unlike previous examples that appeared off centre and spiral like.
Realigned text which was off and had to redraw star. 

That's about it.  The pedantic like myself will see little rough edges but all will be smoothed out by the badgemaker artist.  Ooh and macatron, do please show us your other badges.  Cheers.

macatron

Well, I can no longer hide the fact that my car isn't perfect up close!  But, here are the badges I do have for everyone's reference.

The high-mileage award would be smaller but for the fact that the milage designation sticks below.  Top to bottom, the whole badge is essentially 3 inches.

Here, you can see that I put some fender washers behind the badge and in front of the grille itself.  The reason I did this is because the high-mileage badge is just big enough to rest on only one of the aluminum grille strips.  This means that it would have been angled either up or down.  With the washers, it rests flat on the grille and doesn't touch the aluminum strips at all.  I put threadlocker on the nuts so I didn't have to tighten anything enough to risk cracking the plastic.

Both badges have two studs that protrude through the grille and bolt up in different ways.  Thread locker keeps everything secure.

oscar

http://forum.w116.org/the-org/final-poll-grill-badge/30/

maca, that spacer idea is a top idea as is the thread locker.

Your car looks really nice btw.  Not all US 5mph bumpers have a chrome top I think? Looks much better. I see you got a bit off pinstripping too! ;D

Martin 280s

Quote from: gregdeklerk on 09 March 2007, 12:43 AM
Oscar, just a question: Will the manufacturer ship the badges directly to those who have placed orders? It seems simpler this way then you don't have to send them out!

Martin: I see that silly Bush is in your neck of the woods for a visit!! They closed a whole lot of roads in SP!!

Thankfully he's buggered off to torment some other South American country! The Brazilian President is also a fool so imagine Bush and Lula together, more like a situation comedy than political meeting....Bush doesn't speak Portuguese and Lula doesn't speak English, well for that matter he doesn't even speak Portuguese correctly!!!! ::) ::)

James R

Where are we with this ? Are we waiting for the manufacturer to come back to us ? I can't remember. Do we put our hands up yet ?

James
1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

oscar

I was just posting Mforcer when you pipped in front of me.

Here's the badge that was submitted yesterday

click here

;D ;D

Ok, here it is.  Seriously!

click here

As for the rest, do as Mforcer says.