News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

EPC

Started by marku, 16 September 2018, 10:03 AM

marku

Any one having problems with the EPC? Mercedes have been saying for some time that a new system is being introduced to be completed by November. When selecting a part it has started saying "Not valid this model" has any one else experienced this or just me?
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

rumb

Last week it stopped launching on my main computer, I have to use my laptop now to access it.

I get an "unable to launch" error.

EDIT, and now just as sudden it started working???

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

Squiggle Dog

One problem EPC seems to have is that it takes it a while until it's compatible with the latest version of JAVA. So, if your JAVA has been updated, chances are EPC won't work until it catches up. I often delay my JAVA updates just for this reason.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

ptashek

The old EPC is being decommissioned by November. Apparently it's been switched off for German users as early as April this year.
The replacement seems to be the WebParts system that dealers have been using for a while.

The old system still works fine for me with the MB Club UK login, including on latest Java 8 (as of yesterday).
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

Diesel 617

It sounds like the new system is better than the old. Any limitations on the new system?
X3 1980 300SD Blown Heads, trans -Retired
1980 450SEL Parted out/Scrap
1980 450SEL to Diesel Parted Out/Scrap
1979 280SE Euro Spec Cloth Seats Sold
1979 300CD Daily Driver - Sold

Inventory of w116 Parts
[url="https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff"]https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff[/url]

marku

Quote from: Squiggle Dog on 16 September 2018, 04:02 PM
One problem EPC seems to have is that it takes it a while until it's compatible with the latest version of JAVA. So, if your JAVA has been updated, chances are EPC won't work until it catches up. I often delay my JAVA updates just for this reason.

Did update the Java recently so perhaps that is the cause.

marku

Quote from: ptashek on 16 September 2018, 04:18 PM
The old EPC is being decommissioned by November. Apparently it's been switched off for German users as early as April this year.
The replacement seems to be the WebParts system that dealers have been using for a while.

The old system still works fine for me with the MB Club UK login, including on latest Java 8 (as of yesterday).

How is the replacement going to work for us? All Mercedes says is that it is being replaced and any problems should be referred to supplier by which I think they mean the clubs etc. As I have my own subscription I wonder if it is going to work for me after November. I have had problems with subscriptions from Mercedes in the past as they have such pedantic systems that I usually fall foul of some phrasing or other. 

ptashek

Apparently it'll all be cleared up before November at some "club president's" meet-up.

marku

Quote from: ptashek on 18 September 2018, 04:59 PM
Apparently it'll all be cleared up before November at some "club president's" meet-up.

Their yearly couple of days in Stuttgart? I shouldn't expect too much Mercedes is not too happy about club members getting free access. They did remove access to the WIS some time ago to protests from the clubs. Mercedes justified it by saying the clubs still had the EPC. I would guess that considering the club numbers it really undermines the dealer workshops who no doubt complain and of course a nice revenue stream from paid subscriptions from individuals, independents and dealers.

ptashek

Quote from: marku on 20 September 2018, 11:44 AMThey did remove access to the WIS some time ago to protests from the clubs. Mercedes justified it by saying the clubs still had the EPC.

I can access WIS/ASRA from EPC just fine using my club login.

marku

Really? I remember when I was in the club, some years now, there was a big fuss as MB withdrew access to the WIS so I guess it has been re-instated. Lucky you.

ptashek

Quote from: marku on 23 September 2018, 10:14 AM
Really? I remember when I was in the club, some years now, there was a big fuss as MB withdrew access to the WIS so I guess it has been re-instated. Lucky you.

Quite frankly, it's the only reason I bother with the club subscription.
Paid upfront for 2 years it works out cheaper than an individual EPC account, which excludes WIS/ASRA access.

marku

It is very much cheaper and as you said a personal subscription excludes the WIS. I did buy a copy, cheap, from emanualsonline.com which took forever to download but was not expensive. I only use it for the modern cars which has proved invaluable.