News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Does this happen all the time?

Started by gf, 19 February 2011, 07:13 PM

gf

I read a post a minute ago about there is a lot of recent w116 members and perhaps they are really coming into their own now. One thing that really suprised me was before i bought my 116. for 3 years at least i always kept an eye out on what benzes lived in my suburb. not a single 116 spotted in all that time. then i got mine delivered from interstate. And beleive it or not within 2 months 3 other 116s started arriving in garages in my suburb! now whats with that? Im not complaining, just wondering is this a coincidence or does this happen with other cars too? BMW 318s? many no doubt get one without even testing an audi or simular. could it be the same here?

thysonsacclaim

I think partly they're coming into your own, but also once you have one it's like you're in the Super Secret W116 Society  :D  That is to say, you notice them more often.

I've seen 4 116s at the school I tutor at in the course of 5 weeks and 2 at the university I attend, one of which is owned by the original owner who turned out to be my boss. :o

oscar

Quote from: thysonsacclaim on 20 February 2011, 03:56 AM
one of which is owned by the original owner who turned out to be my boss. :o

Cool!

gf, my town of about 28,000 used to have 7 w116s.  A few left, others came including a Tassie plated 450.  But now, there's only one registered w116 I notice occasionally and it's not even mine. :-[  They must have all headed to Tassie, but around here and next biggest town where I'd see a few I don't see any at all anymore.  I don't think they've disappeared so much from my area, rather they're just no longer used so much as daily drivers.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

TJ 450

Most 116's I see these days are in good to great condition and clearly driven by enthusiasts. I've seen the occasional rough looking one around (like mine... but that's only on the outside ;)), but I'm sure even those people like their 116s.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

gf

oscar, the only w116 i ever saw in the riverena in 5 years living in wagga was a silver one with a black interior. yeah theyre rare as hens teeth out there! Hobarts got a high proportion of 116s around but no one on the forum!!!!!!!!! ive seen 2 6.9s, one battered like it went to kursk and back, and a shiny blue 6.9 with velour interior. yes lots of restored/ good cond ones. mechanically mines sorted nicely. all it needs is new dash, front seat, stereo, and rechromed rear bumper.

oscar

Wagga! I'm in Griffith but I go to Circle Star Motors for pink slips and jobs I can't do myself.  They're in Dobney Ave just behind Wagga Motors which are the merc/holden dealers.  But, whenever I go to circle star or drive past there's always at least a couple of other w116's in there from not only wagga but from a lot of other surrounding country towns covering a big radius, not to mention 4 w116 wrecks out back amongst other chassis.  But I never see them out on the road, hence why I think there's still plenty round but stowed away and not used as daily drivers.

gf

I never bothered to look out the back of the benz shop at the time at wagga- probably too busy eyeing all those shiny w124s when they were almost showroom stuff. Youre probably right about them hidden in sheds. mine dissapeared for over a decade cause the owner had a stroke. If you in griffith everyone must think youre the local drug barron driving in a 116!

oscar

Quote from: gf on 27 February 2011, 04:24 AM
If you in griffith everyone must think youre the local drug barron driving in a 116!
;D It's why I don't drive it much now, police would pull me over to make sure the smoke from the car was coming from the tailpipe, not the cabin.  Last year or the one before there was a top condition milan brown 6.9 for sale in Sydney that was once owned by Terry Clark, aka "Mr Asia".  I thought to myself how cool to own a mobster's car but with custom "MRA.SIA" numper plates.  :-\  Hmmm, maybe not round here.