News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Convinced my bro to buy a new c class

Started by gf, 21 February 2014, 04:58 AM

gf

I tried but he wouldn't accept a w116, w140 or w126. Oh well!

TJ 450

Nice,

I'm sure he'll enjoy it regardless!

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

powerglide

Oh, Tim!  I didn't know you were so well read.

On GFs comment:  I now have a W204 diesel wagon that replaced my W140.  Let me tell you, the W140 is the best car I'll ever have owned (or driven, including the wonderful 6.9), but it is now replaced by the C220.  The C220 is a very good car, and once you get over the excellence and opulance of the W140, there are lots of things you start to appreciate.  First is the significant improvement in build quality over the previous (SA - built) model.  The other thing is the startling performance - it's no 6.3, but switch off the traction control and you can burn rubber!  It is SO practical, and wifey will actually drive it which makes long trips easier on self.  The other problem now is that MBs built before the notorious quality dive in the late 90s - early noughties period are starting to get old, so it's only the rare survivor in perfect condition (like my 280SE), or specials like the 6.9, or beautifuls like the 560SEC that really are worth having (chuck in SLs, too, I suppose, if you fancy toys for girls).

A bonus of the new C Classe is that it is relatively inexpensive to own (eg, minor service with change of discs/pads was actually slightly CHEAPER than the same job done a few years back on my Holden Barina (alia Opel Corsa).  The same rules apply: change the oil and filter every year, and change all fluids every two years - and always use OEM or OEM alternative (aka best quality) parts. And keep it clean and polished.   I went for OEM roof bars, too, because aftermarket products actually don't fit well, and some don't clear the panoramic sunroof that opens UPWARDS in the W204!  I change the oil at least twice the frequency recommended. So what are the problems? None that I can find, apart from the complexity of the full house of options in my car that I bought 3 years old (best age to buy as leasers drop them as they come off warrantee, and the price is already down to 50% of new). It's a keeper! The E Classe wagon is bigger with a third row kiddie seat that folds down flat, but the cost of ownership is close to double that of the C Classe, and although they drop even faster in price, they are always more expensive second hand, year for year.  Good choice, the C Classe.

Just a few thoughts.
Powerglide