News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Brooklands M-B Club (UK) annual meet - pics here !

Started by James R, 21 July 2007, 02:29 PM

James R

Hello all.

My Dad and I had a great time at the UK M-B Club annual meet today at Brooklands. Thought I'd share a few pics of it with you.

http://www.kodakgallery.co.uk/Slideshow.jsp?&localeid=en_GB&mode=fromsite&collid=837757267133.863637497133.1185045198021&conn_speed=1

It was held at Mercedes-Benz World at the historic motor racing circuit, Brooklands. For those that don't know or that might be interested in a visit to a M-B related excursion when you're in the UK, M-B World is a state of the art building and track within what's left of the old Brooklands circuit. It houses brand new cars of every single model of car currently built by M-B, from Smart to Mayback and including all the AMG models too. Its on four floors and is like a department store for M-B cars with a different department for each class (including one with all the AMGs....oooh).

All cars are open and unlocked. There are staff to help demonstrate the cars (and sell them) but they are under strict orders not to make the first move and in fact you hardly see them. It makes for a very unhassled way of trying a car before you buy it. There is also a track there as you'll see from the photos. They run driving "experiences" there where you can do 1/2 or full days at the wheel or, as I did, pay £25 to be taken round the track for 15 minutes. I went round in a CLK63 flat out. They have a skid pan (the circle shaped bit of track in the foreground of the pictures), handling and brake testing parts of the track. Its great. Really great.

The club event was a bit of a damp squib. Our summer in the UK this year has been truly awful and it has rained all day today. Nevertheless, people braved the damp conditions in everything from W123s to 300SLs.

I have some other news. I am looking to sell my 6.9. Jamesette is pregnant with baby number three and we need the money (or rather we don't need to be spending money on older cars according to Jamesette so I have to do the decent thing). I will post some pictures and further details tomorrow. Its a sad day.

Enjoy the pictures.

All the best,

James
1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

torana68

James,
Whats the condition of the remains of the track like? wasnt there to be money spent on restoration of Brooklands?
Roger

James R

Hi Roger,

To be honest, the old Brooklands track itself is in pretty bad condition. You can see pictures of it if you click my link above. What you see there is pretty much all that's left of the old banking. I don't think there are any plans to restore it - it would be impossible to restore the whole thing because most of it has been removed and built on. There's quite a bit of industry around the old track now. The track that M-B World uses is purpose built by M-B within the old circuit. Shame really.

James
1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

torana68

James,
Thanks for the info, its a great shame its been allowed to crumble.
Roger