News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Besides cars what do other people fix?

Started by koan, 26 March 2009, 11:25 PM

koan

Just wondering. Since Christmas I've put new a seal and bearings in washing machine, a new fan in drier, replaced pilot burner / igniter in pool heater, ripped down picture rails and plastered up the holes, fixed fridge ice maker, took a door off that wouldn't close, chopped a bit of f the bottom and refitted the hinges so it fits the opening evenly, fixed front door frame where it was coming away from wall and a lot of the usual house maintenance

So do you do the same things or is it just me being  tight fisted?

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

GreaseMonkey

All of the above, and old watches as a hobby.
Chris M.

Bandolero

Make and fly model aircraft and also collect and repair old watches and clocks, as I am a watchmaker. (Since 1967)
Russell Bond - (Adelaide, South Australia)
1978 450SEL 6.9 .... #5166 .... 12/78 (Sold.) [url="//www.ezycoat.com.au"]www.ezycoat.com.au[/url]

TJ 450

Other than cars, it's electronics and acoustics for me. I'm usually doing something with analogue synthesizers, Hi-Fi, Loudspeakers, computers etc.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Yesmar

I gatta hobby of fixin up some home made wine, from pressed grapes to bottles to tummy

also have to repair dings in my surfboards fiberglass,   

yardwork.

back in the high school days me n my one buddy grew thes plants ...   oyea back then wed bmx i can fix bikes very good n fixin trails/ buildin halfpipes quarter pipes  me n a group of us built i fairly decent skatepark

other then  that ...   odd jobs/ pointless little tasks around the house
- Ramsey

koan

Speaking of "plants" the one thing I don't do is gardening. I'm sure the activity gives lots of pleasure to some but to me it's one of those jobs that's never finished, you get the place looking OK and two weeks later there's weeds popping up and things to be pruned, it just goes on and on, pointless.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Papalangi

Fixing things is what I do for a living.

Spent some quality time the other day with some TNA Robag VFFS baggers.  Made in... Australia!

I very rarely pay for repairs, oil changes, tire installation and exhaust system welding are about it for cars and I fix that which goes wrong around the house.

This summer I'll be doing a mild rebuild of a DeWalt model MBC radial arm saw made in 1955 or so.

Michael
'83 300SD, I'm back!  It's the son's new car (12/2020)
1976 450SEL, 116.033  Sold it to buy a '97 Crown Vic.  Made sense at the time.
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8

13B

4 stroke lawn mowers
vintage TRS-80 computers and accessories
builds flat pack furniture (don't ask... well.. I have kids who ruin everything so there's no point buying nice furniture..yet)
various maintenance tasks around the house

I.

450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

Yesmar

" I don't do is gardening. I'm sure the activity gives lots of pleasure to some but to me it's one of those jobs that's never finished, "

its something i enjoy   even after i just cut the grass really good  ill just hang out on my patio n drink a couple beers n admire my well done job
- Ramsey

69ltr

What I try not to do is the three "p's".That Painting,Plastering and Plumbing.
For work I build road cases for transporting delicate equipment around the world.
Equipment from Denture moulds to V8 supercar engines and windscreens.

Regards
Darren

WGB

All of the above with the addition of people - I am a Doctor.

Don't do watches however I do repair clocks, not so keen on the garden but do keep it tidy, do less painting these days.

Bill

zedster

1979 450 SEL "Spinne Blaue"

KenM

G'day all, well I'm new to this forum so why not start with a whinge? I seem to spend most of my time fixing holes in the bank balance made by her indoors, beats me how she does it really. I fix industrial air conditioning in my day job and video recorders, nintendos, fluffy toys and whatever else the kids lay their hands on at night. Oh, and about once a month I'm allowed to spend a few hours on the benz, makes life worthwhile...
Cheers,
Ken

Mcruder

I do not fix anything in/around the house at all. I might replace a lightbulb under extreme duress. I guess that is because I have to fix up other people's mistakes every day in my day job. Generally I am the last person in the line having to fix things that at least 4 others tried to fix.

450SE_melbourne

Not much of a handy-man. I did try to repair my marriage. Bombed out on that one...
At least I have both carspaces in the garage to myself now.  ::)