News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

BADGES and the CONCOURS

Started by Brian Crump, 16 September 2007, 01:36 AM

Brian Crump

WELL DONE for the badge-persons!!!
Mforcer delivered them to the Concours today and they look GR8 on our vehicles.
It was a good turn out of the usual felons and their friends - pictures later...
Christian, you have one VERY smart 280SEL - it's a real winner. And as for Michel with the 690SEL, what can I say about the colour; you must wear safety goggles when viewing it in the sun. It even had some people scratching their heads about its badge 690SEL - even more so when Michel explained to them it had been a special order delivered to the Emir of a wealthy oil state... ;D
Nice to see the Gleaming Beauty looking so polished -and Mforcer and Rae in their red 450SE that somehow qualified for a free wheel clean by the team at Auto-Glym. (Mforcer, wash yr wheels please before you come out with us - and no, that APEC pass on the screen is not an excsue!!! ;D).
I chatted to an owner of a 280SE who had entered and is looking for a donor car to buy for parts for his restoration - hopefully he might join us here on the forum. I'll bet the chance of a badge will convince him.
Class 11 went to the silver 450SEL that has won for the past few years and which we saw a while back on this site.
I was rather chuffed and surprised to take Runner Up to Best Road Car in Class 18 - all I did yesterday was wave the water blaster over it - I know now I should have spent at least an hour or two in preparation.
Thanks all for a fun day - gotta rest the eyes now from looking at a certain red car... ;D
Regards,
BC

Michel

Some Pics

Andrew280SEL

Wow, that looked like a heck of a day! Such a clear sky too, weather worked out for yas then. ;)

So, everything went silky smooth?
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

oscar

Quote from: Brian Crump on 16 September 2007, 01:36 AM
I was rather chuffed and surprised to take Runner Up to Best Road Car in Class 18 -
BC

8) Congratulataions BC!!!!!!  ;D With black arches too, I wont tell :D  That's marvellous BC, well done.  What did you get, a medal, trophy or free entry to Pebble Beach?  I know concours acknowlegement isn't the object of our strive towards perfect w116's but I know if I got a nod from the judges and a token to say so, I'd be pretty full of proud.  Well done. ;)

BTW BC, on the topic of badges, I've been meaning to ask for ages, what is the yellow square badge?

Michel, thanks for the pics and the 690sel looks fantastic, wish I was there (if only to pick up my badges :D ) and sorry I couldn't make it.  Anymore on the 280sel and the 450sel ie Christian and NTSG's car?  The rear shots look fantastic.  Oh, some other models too.  Did anyone take any photos of 6.3's other 109's and show me those 50's and 60's 2 doors. Tah ;D
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Brian Crump

Oscar - I got a lovely piece of cardboard and an invite to the Presentation Dinner!!! I have no clue as to if there is anything more than that and I don't really mind. All I did literally was to throw the water blaster over it yesterday and use the airhose to blast the dog hair out of the inside -  and then at the Concours I wiped it down where the water marks were.... ::)
The real thing is that 2 116s got awards which says people noticed them!!!!  ;D ;D ;D Hey, with that badge you can't miss them!!
The other badge is an RAA badge the original owner had and believed should go with and stay on the car.
In my (never humble and usually correct) opinion, Christian's car is better than mine and should have beaten me had he been in the same class. (Don't ask about his wheel arches  ;D).
Regards,
BC

oscar

fotografa from the club forum has posted an album.  Some marvellous cars there.

http://picasaweb.google.com/shaneher/MercedesBenzConcours2007

116Benz

Thanks Oscar,

I wish I was there, I saw that beautiful 280SE 3.5 cabrio a few years ago when the concourse was in front of the Opera house. There was some stunners there by the looks of it.

WGB

"That" badge has been a long time coming and the earlier design proposals even date back to the old Yahoo.com Group I believe.

Looking forward to mine arriving.

Pleased to see you guys and gals had a great day.

You have a great bunch over in NSW and I hope to meet up again with a little more time in hand than last time.

Michel - your car surpasses any superlatives and I guess will be a sign of things to come whenever the 6.9 starts to get enough recognition to turn into real values which make upkeep a financial necessity rather than just a money-pit.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the restorers make cars better than the originals with all the faults including the rust issues sorted.

Bill

Brian Crump

And more pics at - http://www.carsofaustralia.com.au/events_gallery.php
Check out the 690SEL and Mforcer's engine bay. ;D
Regards,
BC

CraigS

Having seen the over-restored cars at the German car shows and swap meets, I hope this never happens !

Quote from: WGB on 16 September 2007, 09:37 PM

It will be interesting to see what happens when the restorers make cars better than the originals with all the faults including the rust issues sorted.

[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

CraigS

I know there has been a few references to it in various threads, and I know for sure that Oscar gave them high praise in one thread. Not sure about others though.
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

CraigS

I do like the design, but no, I didn't by a badge. I have a pet hate of badges and stickers adorning my cars. I have one from the Adenauer club for the 300 that is sitting in a drawer somewhere, and likewise similar badges from various MB clubs. When I bought the 6.3 from Qld, it had an old metal RACQ badge on it, and I sold that on eBay. I notice my latest 6.9 has a similar one., so that will also go the same route.

Mforcer

Umm.. No one can tell you what they think of the badge as no one apart from the Sydney, Australia members that attended their local event have received them yet.

My fault. I have been away for work but am sending them today without fail.

Sorry again to everyone that has been expecting their badge!!! :-[ :-[ :-[
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

oscar

Quote from: CraigS on 30 September 2007, 03:07 PM
I have a pet hate of badges and stickers adorning my cars.

Sacré bleu!!   But what if the badge looks better than the car  :o ;D  I'm kidding of course.

Quote from: CraigS on 30 September 2007, 02:30 PM
Oscar gave them high praise in one thread.
I'm swaying.  I'm swaying towards an enamel badge of the pink shirt model.  :D ;D ;D

I haven't seen the badges yet.  I'm becoming feverishly anxious and have taken to printing the image onto 4 reams of paper and plastering them to my ceiling and walls in the spare bedroom.  Badgette, I mean, Oscarette kicked me out of the main when I said to her, "I badge you" during an intimate moment.  Even the kids are badgering, I mean suffering.  Renamed now to Badge and Mini Badge.   Badge me Pappa Badge! I'm becoming badgessed.   ;D

Mforcer

Quote from: Mforcer on 30 September 2007, 03:10 PM
Umm.. No one can tell you what they think of the badge as no one apart from the Sydney, Australia members that attended their local event have received them yet.

My fault. I have been away for work but am sending them today without fail.

Sorry again to everyone that has been expecting their badge!!! :-[ :-[ :-[

Can anyone guess what happened?... Work sent me away again the following day and only now have I returned :( I better not make any guarantees today but I will have a busy badge day.

The good news is that Rae was able to send some of the badges while I was away, Thanks Rae!
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200