News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Another attempt at starting the Wiki

Started by WGB, 13 July 2011, 08:34 AM

WGB

I received a message this evening from KenM about using the wiki and having been frustrated before I attempted to insert my old pictorial on the M117 chain replacement.

This time I managed to insert it but the pictures have only come through as accesible links which must be opened individually to see them.

Oh well from humble beginnings.

Bill

calvin streeting

Ok a few wiki  syntax tips

Headings
== Level 2 ==
=== Level 3 ===
==== Level 4 ====
===== Level 5 =====
====== Level 6 ======

Lists
* Bullet
* Bullet
** Sub Bullet
** Sub Bullet
# Numbered
# Sub Numbered
# Sub Numbered
# Numbered

Images
[[File:Example.jpg]] is for a inline image

links
[[Main Page]] = Internal  link to Page called "Main Page"
[http://mediawiki.org] = External link
[http://mediawiki.org MediaWiki] = External link with different label

for more see Link

Mforcer

Thanks Bill for getting this started again. The wiki has great potential but a small learning curve for everyone not already experienced with editing wikis.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

WGB

Hi Michael and Calvin,

Thankyou for the assistance.

I have written code for medical programs in C and Cobol in the past (?30 years ago) so I am sure I will get a working knowledge of this and will try to get past the basics.

I have added the M100 timing chain I did as well and will now go back to refining these two.

I also have a reasonable amount of digitised information in PDF format including the M100 engine manual in a much smaller file size  than you have on the site and in PDF with bookmarks (indexed) .

These are files that I have either purchased, digitised myself or crunched down to usable size of 5 or 6 megs from original file sizes of 60 meg plus and am quite happy to upload for use of everyone here.

I did the same thing with the M100 site and uploaded the lot to an FTP site and it sunk without trace.

I have sent some of it to Topklasse and they have now opened a technical section but generally there are not many members there who explore the depths of their own 116's as people do here.

My reason for getting the information out is that it is obviously useful and also that I do not wish to lose it should something go wrong with me or my computers.

Bill

Big_Richard

Whats the url of the wiki ?

Can we have it in a more obvious place ?

I keep forgetting about it, and im sure others do too.

koan

How do I read WGBs creations?

Only way I could get anything was by using the search box and a lot of what I clicked on was 404 not found.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Mforcer

http://wiki.w116.org

I am having trouble finding pages in the wiki too but keep trying as it seems that some pages have been deleted(?). I have been using the RecentChanges link on the left navigation box to find pages.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

KenM

Thanks for having another go at it WGB, I can see your timing chain articles there now. I do think that the wiki is important to have operating successfully as we need a central point from which to find technical articles etc

amongst all the other stuff on the site. I must admit that I don't fully understand how the wiki works but this is simply a matter of practice. I believe that anybody can edit a page, is that the main idea like the actual wikipedia?

Would it be helpful to have a link to it on the main page somewhere?  Hopefully we can make this work for the benefit of everybody.

Cheers,

admin

*Bump*

The Wiki is now becoming a formal part of the W116.org site.

I hope everyone can share and benefit with each other.

Enjoy!

thysonsacclaim

Really glad to see more interest in the wiki idea. I think it will be quite nice once the kinks are worked out.

Ive been meaning to help populate it, but Ive still been a bit under the weather. Havent touched the car in weeks, or the site for that matter, but its looking up now.

New look is great, too.

Casey

I think the concept of "just search for what you want" is broken.

Instead, the main page should be a hierarchically organized index of all pages on the wiki, and when you want to add something new, the first step should be to edit the main page, and add in a link to what you want to create.  Then when you click that link, it will take you to the page to create it.  This way, it's really easy to see everything available when you first go to the wiki.  Yes, you can click "Special Pages" and then "All Pages", but this is non-obvious and not organized at all.

I'll contribute some stuff whenever I get a camera again...