News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

YOUTUBE 1978 Mercedes-Benz 450 SEL 6.9 AUTOBAHN

Started by Pieter Lötter, 11 August 2020, 03:58 PM

Pieter Lötter

1974 280SE manual D-Jet,
2011 W204 220 cdi,
My whole life consists of wondering whether or not to make the sarcastic comment.
pieterlotter.oke@gmail.com

daantjie

This guy is crazy, one hand on the wheel doing 220 :o  Impressive none the less.

This mirrors exactly my Autobahn driving experience, albeit mine being at lower speeds.  There are so many trucks on the road, plus tons of traffic and roadworks, you can barely get your foot into it then you have to slow down again, not fun at all.  I drove from Frankfurt to Munich and back and it was a nightmare to be honest :'(  Not what I expected at all.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

raueda1

Spectacular!  In a couple days I'll be headed down Rt 89a, one of the most isolated roads in the US.  A "no services next 90 miles" kind of place.  Nobody and nothing.  This guy is the inspiration for my trip.  Psyched!  ;D
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

AndreasF

Incredible acceleration for a car over 40 years old.  ;D
But the trafic situation is normal for German Autobahnen. Many drivers only see in the rear view mirror that an "old" car is coming and drive into the left lane. Nobody expects the "old" car to be soooo fast. I have the same problem even with my 350SE when I drive about 160 km/h. I believe that many drivers mistake the W116 for a 200D (W123). It was very common as a taxi in Germany and of course incredibly slow.

Andreas (on the Autobahn also that fast, but not in the W116  :P)
350SE (silver) from 1979 (sun roof, air condition, central locking, Becker Mexico, ....)

ptashek

....and that's how you drive'em boys ;)

I can totally relate to that. I go "pedal to the metal" often enough when in Germany, with both hands on the wheel though.
Not sure how long the derestricted sections will last for though, as the greens seem to have already made several attempts to do away with them.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

ptashek

Quote from: AndreasF on 12 August 2020, 02:23 AM
But the trafic situation is normal for German Autobahnen. Many drivers only see in the rear view mirror that an "old" car is coming and drive into the left lane. Nobody expects the "old" car to be soooo fast.

Indeed. I often do the Aachen - Görlitz stretch in one go, and people tend to pull into the left lane just to quickly realise that the "old junk" ain't that slow. But once you pass them, it's often smiles, waves and thumbs up. I know we all love complaining about local drivers, but in all fairness, I think you guys in Germany are some of the best drivers I've ever seen on the roads.

AndreasF

Quote from: ptashek on 12 August 2020, 03:11 AM
Quote from: AndreasF on 12 August 2020, 02:23 AM
But the trafic situation is normal for German Autobahnen. Many drivers only see in the rear view mirror that an "old" car is coming and drive into the left lane. Nobody expects the "old" car to be soooo fast.

Indeed. I often do the Aachen - Görlitz stretch in one go, and people tend to pull into the left lane just to quickly realise that the "old junk" ain't that slow. But once you pass them, it's often smiles, waves and thumbs up. I know we all love complaining about local drivers, but in all fairness, I think you guys in Germany are some of the best drivers I've ever seen on the roads.

Thank You Sir!  :)

Fun fact: My two daughters were or are in school in Ireland (exchange year). I asked the host mother how long it takes her to get from home to school by car. Her answer: 30 minutes, my daughter says: Rather 35 minutes. I need 45 minutes for the distance  ;)
I have the impression that on the small narrow country roads the Irish drive really fast and safe. Unlike the tourists from Germany.  ::)

Do you often drive with the W116 this long distance from Aaachen to Görlitz? That is 700 km... Or do you take a modern vehicle for that?
350SE (silver) from 1979 (sun roof, air condition, central locking, Becker Mexico, ....)

ptashek

I drive from Ireland to Poland every year in the W116. Best time of the year. It's usually a 5000km round-trip if I go via the UK (less if going via France), and I tend to make excuses to take detours. Didn't get to do it this year unfortunately. The car has done maybe 300km...

Last year's hilight was driving along the Platz der Republik near the Bundestag in Berlin, right in the middle of an environmental protest. Oops :) No regrets!

AndreasF

Long roadtrips. That's what this cars are build for!