News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

you tube videos new ?

Started by w116john, 02 December 2020, 02:38 PM

w116john

hi

in need of some boredom relief ,i searched on you tube for w116 and came across these vids from South Africa which i had not seen before. they helped pass the time and any positive w116 interest is welcome.

regards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0HOHaqRYCw

daantjie

Thanks was fun to check them out.  Brings back good memories of a bygone era, growing up in SA ;D
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

adamb

I'd expect every true W116 nut to know these facts by heart.  ;) We should create an online exam and an Accredited W116 Enthusiast Certification ha ha

BCK1963

I didn't grow up in SA but it brings back memories as well to me.
In the 70s I was a kid and sat in front of the TV followig exitedly these Auto Test spots in german TV, the one with the W116 was used for this YouTube Video.
All cars were forced along the same suspension test track and you could tell the difference between a good a bad car at first glance: the very bad ones couldn't be driven along the track at constant speed.
Around minute 4:40 our car passes the cross wind test track with bravour, the very bad light cars were blown into the pylons along the track ;D.    those were the days .....

Have to admit that seeing a driving W116 has a sort of grace and elegance. And I am neutral about it, no pink glasses  8)

Bernd

1976 Merc 6.9   Magnetit blue

BCK1963

All dreaming aside: at minute ca. 11:20 they say that hydropneumatic suspension was available as option in all cars.
That's wrong, isn't it?  It was the one 6.9 feature which could not be bought into other models, as far as I know.

Bernd
Bernd

karmann_20v

Quote from: BCK1963 on 03 December 2020, 10:02 AM
All dreaming aside: at minute ca. 11:20 they say that hydropneumatic suspension was available as option in all cars.
That's wrong, isn't it?  It was the one 6.9 feature which could not be bought into other models, as far as I know.

Bernd
Yes and no. The SLS was available on all models as an option outside of the North American Market. With the the 300SD being exclusive to this market, it was the model that the SLS was not offered on. But the system was not exclusive to the 6.9.

BCK1963

The guy in the video talks about the HPS (hydropneumatic suspension) and not the SLS (self-leveling rear suspension).
SLS was and is available on several cars but not necessarily with the 6.9 unique HPS.
Bernd

karmann_20v

They are all referred to as SLS, whether rear only or 4 wheel, especially in the Mercedes circles. Rear only SLS was not available on the 116, only the 4 wheel system. Same system could be found on a 280, or a 6.9.

ptashek

SLS/"Niveauregulierung", option code 480 was standard on 6.9 as we all know, but as karmann said, it could be ordered with any of the models for about 5200USD extra in 2020 money (834DEM in 1979, when a base 280SE cost around 35000DEM).
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE