News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Yikes!

Started by Nutz, 01 November 2010, 04:02 AM

Nutz

"In 1979 Sepp Maier caused with his Mercedes S-Class an accident in his home town. He slid in rainy race road in an oncoming vehicle. Two women were injured. Sepp Maier came with fractures and bruises to the hospital. "

Sorry if this is old news.

vlv8vic

Sheesh.  Normally seem to suffer only scratches and slight bruising (the car that is).  Must have been some pace behind it...

oscar

Not old news at all, I don't think we've seen that pic before.

But damn!! Had it been a RHD car he'd be gone.  Actually, can't believe he survived at all.  I've never seen a w116 like that unless a crusher has had a go at it.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

flutes

Fractures and bruises?! Holy shit I can't believe he walked away from that. MB engineers were ahead of their time.
Matt
1977 450SEL

TJ 450

Wow, that's serious indeed!

If you believe the Wikipedia article, he was intoxicated at the time of the accident.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

MB_Mike

It is sick that when I look at that picture all I see are the parts that could be salvaged  :-[

Tail lights, rear euro bumpers, bundts, possibly euro head lights...
1987 Home market 560 SEL

Big_Richard

He's very lucky to of lived thru that..

Its not necessarily the crushing that kills in more minor accidents. Humans are quite fragile and were never meant to deal with the kinds of forces possible in a car accident.

My friend had an accident like that a while ago and the damage was no where near that bad, but he hit his head on the drivers door window. He was still alive for 15 minutes after but when moved all the blood run out of his body thru his nose and he died. Nothing anyone could of done for him.

nathan

MB mike, im with you. before i read your post i was wondering if there was one piece of that car that had been salvaged and was still in existence!
looks like a 6.9 as it has xwx's
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

flutes

That's very sad MT.  I think the movies have given us wildly unrealistic expectations as to what the human body is capable of - you look at your average action movie with people being thrown across a room, or Tony Stark falling 1km from the sky and just because he happens to have a thin layer of metal around him he somehow doesn't sustain massive internal damage from the deceleration.
Matt
1977 450SEL

Squiggle Dog

That makes me thankful for the side impact bars that the USA models have. It appears the other car hit him, so there wouldn't have been as much deceleration force on his car, but I bet the people in the other car really felt it!
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

Mforcer

That will just buff out! Maybe a bit of bondo too ;)

Yikes indeed. I also can't believe that anyone could survive that crash.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

s class

Nathan,  I too spent some time wondering if it was a 6.9.  It seems surprising that the suspension would still be up if it was a 6.9, but still possible I guess.  No sunroof, but then again, many of the euro delivered 6.9's were fairly barren compared to export models, and some were supplied without sunroof. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

thysonsacclaim

It is sad about the accident MT, and unfortunate that even today we still have lots of fatalities. The interstate I use every day, Interstate 4 (I-4), is rated as third most likely to generate a fatal accident. The other interstate I use, but not as often, I-95, is rated number one. I-4, unlike I-95, runs only in Florida. So for I-95, some of that could be due to other states. [http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/stories/2010/05/31/daily21.html]

Having said that, I was in an accident when I was 18 where a car two ahead of us went to turn but came back out of it and decided not to. The car in front of us adjusted, as did we, but the driver behind us slammed into the rear end of the Cavalier at 65 MPH. I was in the front passenger seat and ended up nearly in the trunk. No bones broken, but the back a bit screwed and I had a major concussion.

As the concussion caused me to be out of it, unable to talk well or stand up straight the driver of the car that hit us had the nerve to ask if I had been drinking... as if it would have mattered since I was the PASSENGER.

The nerve of that guy pissed me off... and naturally he was uninsured and his kid unbuckled and ended up in the floor boards.

Squiggle Dog

I wonder where the passenger seat went... :o
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

ulysees

Whew!!   that's about as bad as it can be but, look at the hood and trunk lids...????

Thanks for posting...  but, don't try this at home ;)