News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Why not a w116?

Started by FredCar, 05 October 2007, 01:21 PM

FredCar

Hi,

I currently drive a 1984 W123 230E 5-speed, but have been thinking about adding a W116 for some time now.

The dream is of course the 6.9 but realistically I'm looking at a 280SE or 450SE.

What should I look for as weak points in them mechanically? And are spare parts available in the same way they are for the w123? And at what cost?

Finally how quiet is the W116 compared to a 5-speed W123 at motorway cruising 70-90 mph?

Thanks,

Frederik

s class

Hi Frederik

Welcome to our group.  Where are you located. 

W116's tend to suffer from wind noise at speed, though I'm not sure if its any worse tha 123's.  In many cases the wind noise is due to the front door rubber seals being in poor condition, and is easily fixed.

The different W116 models have different final drive ratios.  A 280SE will be doing about 130km/h at 4000 rpm, and a 450 will achieve the same speed at somewhat lower revs.  As a reuslt of this, the 280SE can suffer from mechanical noise at higher revs, but it is a VERY pleasant noise indeed.  All of them are very tough if properly maintained, and happy to cruise at high speed.

On the 280SE, watch out for oil smoke due to worn valve guides and worn bores on higher mileage cars.  On the v8's you MUST have the timing chain stretch measured.  The chains gradually stretch with use, and once the stretch becomes excessive, there is a danger of the cahin jumping on start-up leading to bent valves.  Replacing the chain and related items is not terirbly expensive and will assure you of long trouble free mileage.

The different 116 models have very different characters, or personalities.  They are all VERY nice, but I suggest you try out a couple and see what you are comfortable with. 

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

FredCar

Thanks, that's really useful.

I'm in Copenhagen Denmark.

Gasoline is quite expensive here, so a 450 SE or 6.9 would be a strictly weekend vehicle, whereas a 280 SE would be day to day affair. Though as I have my w123 (love it to bits) I will be able to alternate. I might also consider registering the W116 as a Classic vehicle to keep costs down.

I understand you correctly, that the wind noise is not supposed to be there?

Thanks,

Frederik

s class

116's do suffer from worse wind noise than modern cars, though often it is even worse than it ought to be due to rubbers in poor condition.  My 280SE has rubbers in excellent condition, and the wind noise never bothers me.  In contrast my 6.9 has poor rubbers and the wind noise is quite bad. 

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Brian Crump

Welcome Frederik.
Any of the 116 range is robust and well-engineered so long as they have been reasonably well maintained and do not suffer from rust. In Australia rust is not really a big problem but with a Danish winter being hard on cars you may want to look for one that has been stored inside.
If it is a weekend car then it will not matter which one you choose - buy the one that is in the best possible condition for the amount of money you wish to spend.
The wind noise S Class talks about can be partly cured by new door seals that are easy to fit and not expensive but the 116 will never be as quiet as a car from 2007. That mechanical noise is part of its charm.
Regards,
BC
PS: Maybe ask  Crown Princess Mary if her family has one back home in Tasmania that they can send across for you to try out?  ;D

FredCar

Thanks for your quick responses guys. Lapping it up.

I know of course we are dealing with old cars. But my question regarding noise was compared to a w123, not a new car.

I've spent some days noise isolating my own car, and the result is really rather good. I would do the same to a future w116.

I'm a sucker for w116s and w123s. Might be because I was born in '79, with the cars being common sightings in the early 80's they've made a lasting impression on me.

As new cars are taxed by near 200% in Denmark the decision becomes even easier.

FredCar

Quote from: Brian Crump on 05 October 2007, 04:20 PM

SNIP

PS: Maybe ask  Crown Princess Mary if her family has one back home in Tasmania that they can send across for you to try out?  ;D

Regarding our CP Mary, I'm currently using her as an example for my better half to illustrate how a wife should greet the mother of her husband: http://multimedia.jp.dk/archive/00051/mary_nejer_for_dronn_51526b.jpg

Didn't go down to well I'm afraid...  ::)

Brian Crump

Oh Dear - I imagine your life will be so short you may not need worry about which car to buy!!!!!  ;D
I have driven very few W123s and from my brief experience of them the noise level in a properly sealed W116 may well be less.
If in doubt, install a good HiFi system and play Wagner on the Autoroute..... ;D
http://www.soundclick.com/pro/view/01/default.cfm?bandid=187329&songid=3600018&content=song
Regards,
BC

FredCar

Quote from: Brian Crump on 05 October 2007, 04:46 PM
Oh Dear - I imagine your life will be so short you may not need worry about which car to buy!!!!!  ;D
I have driven very few W123s and from my brief experience of them the noise level in a properly sealed W116 may well be less.
If in doubt, install a good HiFi system and play Wagner on the Autoroute..... ;D
http://www.soundclick.com/pro/view/01/default.cfm?bandid=187329&songid=3600018&content=song
Regards,
BC

Going down in a blaze of glory.

My company actually did this for a show: http://www.buwaldahybrids.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2797 so I just might be able to shut any unwanted noises out with Wagner... :D

FredCar

What fuel consumption is realistic at 100 km/h in either a 280 SE or a 450 SE both automatics.

Brian Crump

For a 450SE automatic on the open road I get about 13l/100ks - that's at a steady 100-110kph. The same for my ML320 and SSII. Petrol in Australia is cheap at about 0.90 Euros per litre (depending on the RON and day of the week).
Regards,
BC

FredCar

Ok, I get about 8L/100km in my 230E, so that is a difference.

Then again if you divide by the number of cylinders, yours is actually more economical than mine.  ;)

As said, a 450 SE would be a leisure vehicle, so that's not too bad.

13B

Most of us buy these cars with our hearts, not with our heads.  Don't worry too much about petrol economy figures, engine rpms at 100 km/h etc.  Go drive one, if you like it then buy it. 
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

oscar

Quote from: FredCar on 05 October 2007, 04:43 PM
Regarding our CP Mary, I'm currently using her as an example for my better half to illustrate how a wife should greet the mother of her husband: http://multimedia.jp.dk/archive/00051/mary_nejer_for_dronn_51526b.jpg

Forget the mother in law, how about how to greet the husband :D  I can tell you now Oscarette wont be too impressed.

Hey Fred, how about a 350?  I can't quote efficiency figures except to say they're really not much different to the 280 and I've never driven a w123 so I can't compare noise etc except to say regardless of wind noise, I'm the kind of nut that will open the window and drive close to fences to hear the engine better. ;D 

Just curious if 350's were on your list too.

EDIT
And another thing, like what 13B says, go for test drives.  I'd be keen to hear your take on what you notice on top of everybody elses thoughts.

1973 350SE, my first & fave

FredCar

It is a matter of the heart over the head of course. Just wanted to get some facts straight.

Regarding a 350 I've never seen one for sale in DK, so that's the reason. Currently there are 280's and one 450 for sale.

Test drives are difficult to pull of as a result of this.