News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Why is a 6.9 water pump so expensive?

Started by Brian Crump, 01 January 2008, 10:37 PM

Brian Crump

Why is a 6.9 waterpump so expensive? I am told that the last one currently in stock in Australia was sold this week for approx. $3500.00. This is making R-R ownership cheap!!!!
Regards,
BC

Bandolero

Because the MB spare parts people who make the price decisions in Germany are A**holes.
Also, the dealers want to make top profit.
I was quoted AU$4850 plus GST at the dealership, so you were quoted a discounted price.
Russell Bond - (Adelaide, South Australia)
1978 450SEL 6.9 .... #5166 .... 12/78 (Sold.) [url="//www.ezycoat.com.au"]www.ezycoat.com.au[/url]

116Benz

And people wonder why places like Autohausaz do such good business shipping stuff over here. For the life of me I can't think why. ::)

Big_Richard

CraigS

Because it is unique to the 6.9 (and the early ones will also fit the 6.3). They can be reconditioned as someone has mentioned, and I have mine done at a company in Melbourne for around $300.
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

Des

I know it has been mentioned they are "different" to other MB's but is there anything special about them? any magic or trickery, I'd imagine they have to pump a lot of water, like the oil and oil filter I am guessing they are quite large compared to other cars?

Wolfgang Germany

Quote from: BC on 01 January 2008, 10:37 PM
Why is a 6.9 waterpump so expensive? I am told that the last one currently in stock in Australia was sold this week for approx. $3500.00. This is making R-R ownership cheap!!!!
Regards,
BC

§3500,- really?? From a MB-dealer?  :o

Since this year the 6.9 waterpump (A 100 200 3201/80) costs 517,-Eur (without 19% tax) in Germany. Till 31.12.07 the pump has cost 387,90 Eur (without 19% tax). The price includes the change with the old part.

By the way, it´s normal that the prices increase. MB would like to minimize their high costs for storage. The last two years MB sell the most of their (intersting) old parts for W110 up to W124 to the mb-clubs with al lower price. The rest was scrapped by MB! This included really rare parts for example Interieur stuff, motorparts or chasisparts. That´s the way of business!

Here is a link to the german MB-club VDH, which became a lot of parts.

VDH-Mercedesclubs

116Benz

Scrapped? I suppose it was inevitable, but what about if one of those scapped parts became a needed item again, do they make provision for someone to make more? Or do we scour ebay in hope that another one turns up?

Wolfgang Germany

Quote from: 116Benz on 02 January 2008, 07:37 AM
Scrapped? I suppose it was inevitable, but what about if one of those scapped parts became a needed item again, do they make provision for someone to make more? Or do we scour ebay in hope that another one turns up?

If there are enough people who need a part, mb will produce this part. But it must be a lot of people, do you understand?  ::)
For example the 15" alloy wheel (W108/W116 barock design) was reproduced by MB in 2005. But this was a tough and long process from people out of the club to convince MB.

In the future the VDH (which cooperate with MB) will be a good source for old parts. And of course ebay.

116Benz

At least theres a backup supply if it gets difficult..

nathan

i agree with bandalero, you got a discount!
i got suckered and bought the 500 dollar repair kit which strangely doesnt include all the (bearings?) stuff one need to refurbish the pump...what a gip!
wait till you ask about a starter too!
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

Brian Crump

Gentlemen,
The intent of this question was to ask what is so special about the 6.9 waterpump that means it is 10 times the price of the 450SE pump. I am interested in knowing if it is so different that the cost is warranted.
Please do not take my question as a complaint against anyone for costs and please do not read into this thread anything other than the original question.
Regards,
BC

Wolfgang Germany

Quote from: BC on 02 January 2008, 04:25 PM
Gentlemen,
The intent of this question was to ask what is so special about the 6.9 waterpump that means it is 10 times the price of the 450SE pump. I am interested in knowing if it is so different that the cost is warranted.
Please do not take my question as a complaint against anyone for costs and please do not read into this thread anything other than the original question.
Regards,
BC

I think it´s only the demand. For a car what was built only 7.380 times (450SEL->101.182) you don´t often need a waterpump.
So the costs for storage are huge. And that´s is the reason while the price year for year will increase. This part is causing costs.

CraigS

I agree with Wolfgang. As mentioned, with only 7380 units produced (and 6526 6.3's and 2677 600's), it is failrly easy to see how the costs could be excessive. For example, one single fuel injector for a 6.3/600 costs in excess of US $1800, or A$16,500 per set !
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

116Benz

When you put it into perspective like that, yes it makes sense. Thing is, what about the likes of 600's? did they have the same problem? They were in production till 1980, and shared alot of the same stuff with 6.3's

Imagine if it was the same problem only a water pump for an M110..that thought makes me shudder... ::)