News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Why I love my 116.

Started by gregdeklerk, 18 April 2007, 12:17 AM

gregdeklerk

I drove the 116 to work this morning, just for a change, which I have not done before. The 190E is the usual daily commuter. My 280SE is 19 years older than the 190E. In all respects, the 116 is a far more comfortable car - that is why I am so mad about it!!

Andrew280SEL

Ahhh the harsh reality, eh greg?  :D

Yep, the 116 is incredibly comfortable.  :)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

robgee

Make it Friday Jeans day Greg cos' are cars are cool and jeans are cool.Sorry about my atire your honour but I'm driving my 116 today I'm sure you undrerstand. ::) ::)

Martin 280s

Occasionally I bring the W116 to work, and when I do so, I park in the Managers' carpark. It really does put 'supposed' executive expresses to shame. All that chrome and style, much better than the bland tinboxes, MB's included, that people drive round in nowadays.

michaeld

You ought to let your w116 get to operating temp at least once a week anyway, just to keep all the "juices" flowing.

I've heard that after about four days, all the oil has drained down into the pan, which creates a "hard start" situation and puts increased friction on bare metal parts that would otherwise have a film of oil protecting them.

But getting to the real "meat" of your post: the w116s comfort.  Aint it so?  I've driven in new late models, and, while they have all the whiz bangs and cup holders and widgets, they just don't have that "precisely engineered for YOUR individual backside" feel to them the way the 116s do.  We don't have a lot of gadgets; just the comfort of large, well designed seat and ergodynamic fit.

I had my 450SEL parked on the street in front of the house and a past-mid-age couple walked by.  The man identified the car by year, and said he had the same model.  He gushed about the comfort and the overall wonderfulness of the car, and said looking at mine had "gotten his juices flowing."  I daresay I could have sold my car right on the spot if I'd wanted (mind you, I didn't).  In any event, he specifically mentioned that he'd had newer Mercedes since, and they just didn't make them light that any more.

gregdeklerk

koan

Quote from: michaeld on 18 April 2007, 11:13 PM

I had my 450SEL parked on the street in front of the house and a past-mid-age couple walked by.  The man identified the car by year, and said he had the same model.  He gushed about the comfort and the overall wonderfulness of the car

What I find is that anyone who as ever owned a 116 says something along the lines of "best car I ever had".

I'm not talking about us lot here but people like the guy next door who said those very words.

koan.
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Andreas

Well i just love driving my w116 I have 3 6.9's and i ain't selling one. seriously thinking of selling my modern car and buying a 280 as a daily driver. The w116 is just so nice to drive what more can i say. You jsut cant go past an s class

ps Des dont sell the 6.9... i think you will regret it. Borrow m0re money for the RR and if you still like it then sell the merc.....the RR will get scratched more...my friends have had Bentlys and RR and they to often found them scratched to pieces if they took them for a drive and parked them in the city.
78 450 SEL Parting out
78 450 SEL Saving for parts
79 450 SEL 6.9  #5332
77 450 SEL 6.9 Euro # 1696
77 450 SEL 6.9 Euro #1577
78 450 SEL 6.9  # 4172
76 280 S     Manual Parting
80 280 SE  Possible Parts Car
74 350 SLC  Thinking converting to race