News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Why don't I have a first aid kit?

Started by beagle2022, 30 April 2013, 05:56 AM

beagle2022

I feel like the odd kid in school.  My 1979 280sel has no first aid kit, not because it is missing but because it was never there.  The rest of the car is well specified: power windows, cruise control, factory air,  electric sunroof.

VIN is 11602522132654.  I think that makes her a German built RHD auto, but I lose the plot from that point onwards. It lives in Australia and I think was delivered here new (referring to the compliance plate).

Did all the 116's come with first aid kits? Was it an option for careless drivers only?
Sydney, Australia

TJ 450

The first aid kits were standard, so it's likely someone has removed it at some stage.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

CraigS

When you say it was never there, is this because there is no provision for it, or it was not there when you bought the car ? If there is provision for it, how do you know it was never there ?
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

marku

I wondered about the kit. Although in my 450SE the holder is set into the metal parcel shelf it has no lid and the carpet has no opening for access. So you would have to take out the carpet which is properly fitted and sown etc. I know that on the datacard it has the code for omitting the seat belts so perhaps you could also decide not to have the first aid kit.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

Casey

Quote from: marku on 02 May 2013, 01:47 PM
I wondered about the kit. Although in my 450SE the holder is set into the metal parcel shelf it has no lid and the carpet has no opening for access. So you would have to take out the carpet which is properly fitted and sown etc. I know that on the datacard it has the code for omitting the seat belts so perhaps you could also decide not to have the first aid kit.

My green 450SEL was like that. However marker lines on the bottom of the lidless hat deck indicates it's an aftermarket replacement.

Type17

"First aid kit" is option no. 631, which implies that it is an option, and therefore that some cars may not have it fitted.

My car's datacard has a 1 in the 63 option field, and it does have a first aid kit.

Beagle2022, if you have your car's datacard to hand, you may find that the 63 field has a dash ("-") in it.
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

john6007

QuoteThe first aid kits were standard, so it's likely someone has removed it at some stage.
Quote"First aid kit" is option no. 631, which implies that it is an option, and therefore that some cars may not have it fitted.

My memory says that Australia did (with the 116) get higher spec + higher $ cars and missed out on bare bones models. I'm sure lower spec cars did not come with items such as a 1st aid kit.

It reminds me of the Holden HQ Belmont wagon (the super base model). On the (plastic) dash  it hat a cutout for a cigarette lighter but no cigarette lighter.

John
79 - 450SEL 6.9 #5628 &  #6466, 92 - 300CE-24, 98 - MX-5, 89 - Ducati 906 Paso

marku

You are right the data card has a dash in the 63 option. Can't think why anyone would choose not to have it considering the cost of the car. Money was not a problem for the first owner as they went in for other options but didn't have the first aid kit or the rear seat belts even though I guess it was chauffeur driven.

beagle2022

Sorry folks I don't have the data card.  I have replaced the carpet/lining on the back shelf and there is no sign of a first aid kit having ever been there.

Seems weird given the otherwise high spec of the car: power windows, power sunroof, air con and cruise control.

One of life's mysteries I suspect.
Sydney, Australia

marku

You would think that they would simply omit it like mine not put a different parcel shelf in. Isn't the kit standard and not an option? You would have to say you didn't want it but I can't think why and any way it gives access to the tank sensor.

beagle2022

Found a scraggy data card tag on the back of the rear seat.  Option number 63 has a dash.  Mystery solved.  The greater mystery is why it was an option in the first place, especially when it involved a completely different rear shelf! No wonder the accountants took over in the 1990's.
Sydney, Australia

marku

You would think that a luxury car would just about have everything as standard. My 450 is pretty basic when compared to a modern car. The Daimler accountants taking over is another story altogether. Their shot at world domination nearly nearly bled MB to death apart from all the quality issues.

TJ 450

That was part of the MB philosophy, offering very little as standard to keep the base price down, and if you had the cash you could add any of the myriad of options as you thought necessary.

In some markets, the options list was modified so that certain items were standard. This occurred in Australia, as the cars target the high end of the market.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500