News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Who has owned their 116 the longest?

Started by gregdeklerk, 27 March 2007, 07:40 AM

gregdeklerk

We need to impose some basic rules on this one. It needs to be on a single car and unbroken ownership. You need to have owned it personally and not in the family. Might I propose that the member who wins this may get full boast rights and perhaps lay claim to the title: godfather 3?

I don't get anywhere close as I can only muster 2 years and 3 months!!

Greg

Grant V

"You've bought another bloody car?!? We should have you committed!" he shrieked, storming out of the room

oscar

Hey, I get a chance to chime in and take the lead before someone says ten years ;D

3yrs for the 350se. OMG, I'm winning!! ;D
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Martin 280s

I've had mine for almost three and a half years.

oscar

:( Well I had fun whilst it lasted.  Thanks Martin ;)

gregdeklerk

Quote from: oscar on 27 March 2007, 07:52 AM
Hey, I get a chance to chime in and take the lead before someone says ten years ;D

Oscar, perhaps we should try and hide the thread from S-Class?

oscar

gregdeklerk

Quote from: oscar on 27 March 2007, 08:11 AM
and styria

How long? But that is cool. Then we can call him godfather I & III.

Nutz

Ah man,this isn't fair. I had owned my '76 450SE Euro since 2001 prior to moving here :(

gregdeklerk

Quote from: Nutz on 27 March 2007, 08:17 AM
Ah man,this isn't fair. I had owned my '76 450SE Euro since 2001 prior to moving here :(

Nutz, that is still 5 years, which puts you into the lead!!

Grant V

PB - the 6.9, or the teenage secretary?
"You've bought another bloody car?!? We should have you committed!" he shrieked, storming out of the room

WGB

Why do you call a teenage secretary "it"  ;D

gregdeklerk

Quote from: Patrick Bateman on 27 March 2007, 08:22 AM
if i remember correctly - the year was 2003, I was having relations with the teenage secretary at work and took her for a driving lesson in the 6.9. I believe i took ownership of the car on January 7th if memory serves me right. Time flies when your having fun... And I'm STILL messing around with it every single weekend after this long and haven't got sick of it yet ;)

So she was so good at spinning your wheels ;D that you let her spin the 6.9's!! ;) ;)

jjccp

I'm curious to see if anyone can beat this...........

I purchased my 1977 280 SE on August 26, 1988.

On the flip side, I bought the 6.9 last October.
1977 280 SE
1978 San Juan 23
1979 6.9 #6846

s class

OK I have a MAJOR confession I have never before spilled on this forum.  I bought my 280SE in January 1997 - 10 years and 2 months ago - but I was only a student at the time and in his wisdom my dad decided the car should be registered in his name - and it still is - although I paid the full purchase price and every bit of maintenance since.  My dad hasn't even driven the car in the last 10 years.  So depending on how you look at it, I've either owned my 116 for 10 years, or I've never owned a 116 at all. 

It is starting to bother me more and more since my dad is getting on a bit and if he passes away, the car will be in his estate when I regard it as mine.  I am endeavouring to make it my next project to get it into my name.  THis is the real motivation why I have finally fixed the front crankshaft oil leak, and will this weekend be tackling the reverse lights - because yes, I need a roadworthy certificate to effect the transfer. 

There is one other bugbear - when the engine was overhauled 7 years ago, the block deck face was skimmed and the engine number became defaced in the process (M110 owners will immediately appreciate why - the engine number is on an extension of the block face).  I have been completely unsure how the roadworthy people will view this.  But hey I suppose unless I try I will never know. 

FWIW my dad also regards the car as mine and is more than happy to sign it over - I just need the roadworthy certificate. 

Hmmm 

Ryan (who doesn't actually own a 116)

PS - FWIW all my other cars are correctly in my name with no problems.

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL