News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Who has owned their 116 the longest?

Started by gregdeklerk, 27 March 2007, 07:40 AM

gregdeklerk

If the engine number is defaced, are the digits unclear? They will not give you a roadworthy if so. Then it is off to police clearance for you. I am not sure who has to do the restamping though?

CraigS

If it was in Australia, there would not be a concern over the engine number. If they coudn't find the VIN, that would be a different matter. I am sure the machine shop that resurfaced the block could give you a letter explaining the situation that should be acceptable to the authorities. Worth a try at least. Worst case scenario is to get the block restamped, or a plate riveted to the block aka Mercedes style when they install remanufactured units.

Quote from: s class on 27 March 2007, 09:23 AM

There is one other bugbear - when the engine was overhauled 7 years ago, the block deck face was skimmed and the engine number became defaced in the process (M110 owners will immediately appreciate why - the engine number is on an extension of the block face).  I have been completely unsure how the roadworthy people will view this. 
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

adamb

To get back to the original purpose of this post: I've owned #2062 6.9 for 5 years exactly TODAY.

Wahay! Do I head champagne cocks popping? No? Never mind...  ;D

Des

1 year and 2 months

not long, time seems to fly though.

Mforcer

I bought my car about 8 years ago. I did first see and ride in my car about 30 years ago... does that win something? :)
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

gregdeklerk

Quote from: jjccp on 27 March 2007, 08:42 AM
I'm curious to see if anyone can beat this...........

I purchased my 1977 280 SE on August 26, 1988.

On the flip side, I bought the 6.9 last October.

Looks like jjccp is in the lead! In 1988 we had no cell phones, communism was live and kicking and I was still in school!!

jjccp

1977 280 SE
1978 San Juan 23
1979 6.9 #6846

oscar

Quote from: jjccp on 30 March 2007, 08:31 AM
You mean I won?

For the moment ;)  BTW, which one gets driven the most at the moment jjccp?  The 280 or the 6.9?
1973 350SE, my first & fave

jjccp

Quote from: oscar on 30 March 2007, 08:57 AM

For the moment ;)  BTW, which one gets driven the most at the moment jjccp?  The 280 or the 6.9?

Hi my friend Oscar,

Since it's been winter weather here, that means snow and salt. So neither was driven for the last couple of months (I have a 3rd car for work). But I've had them both out in the last couple of weeks. I usually decide if I'm in the mood for black or gold.

I have a serious predicament. It's not really practical for me to have two 116 cars. So I will need to make a decision soon. I've had the 280 SE for 19 years, have almost everything working perfect, all new interior, jamming music and have it set up to pull the boat. OTOH, I've always wanted a 6.9 and now have one and it's a thrill to drive. I'm also considering taking the 6.9 to the drag strip this summer. The drag racing video's we have posted here have inspired me. Can you imagine the looks I will get from the people in this city? Detroit really is the home of American Muscle Cars. I might get strung up if I beat a GTO.

Anyway, there might be a very nice 116 for sale soon. Just not sure which one.
1977 280 SE
1978 San Juan 23
1979 6.9 #6846

oscar

Quote from: jjccp on 30 March 2007, 12:07 PM
Quote from: oscar on 30 March 2007, 08:57 AM

Hi my friend Oscar,

Since it's been winter weather here, that means snow and salt. So neither was driven for the last couple of months (I have a 3rd car for work). But I've had them both out in the last couple of weeks. I usually decide if I'm in the mood for black or gold.

I have a serious predicament. It's not really practical for me to have two 116 cars. So I will need to make a decision soon. I've had the 280 SE for 19 years, have almost everything working perfect, all new interior, jamming music and have it set up to pull the boat. OTOH, I've always wanted a 6.9 and now have one and it's a thrill to drive. I'm also considering taking the 6.9 to the drag strip this summer. The drag racing video's we have posted here have inspired me. Can you imagine the looks I will get from the people in this city? Detroit really is the home of American Muscle Cars. I might get strung up if I beat a GTO.

Anyway, there might be a very nice 116 for sale soon. Just not sure which one.

Man!! What a predicament.  I'd hate to have to choose.  Besides, you'd have to give up your title in this thread if you gave up the 280. :o

Every now and then (like this easter) a nearby airstrip in Narrandera gets converted to a dragstrip.  I'd love to rock up in a bi-turboed 6.9 with nitrous and blow the GM's and Fords away.  Anyway, if you do tackle a GTO and win, at least you'll know they wont catch you.  ;D
1973 350SE, my first & fave

kenny