News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Who drives Their 116 daily?

Started by Yesmar, 04 October 2010, 10:12 PM

Yesmar

wow this is great to see. it makes me want to get mine back on the road daily. i was driving it a couple days ago, and its just the most comfortable, sturdy car I have. and i don't know why im not driving it more often. there are a few issues i want to get straightened out  on it, but i think this thread has motivated me to get her back in tip top shape! I'm literally driving about 300miles a week. and it would be nice the 116 help out .
- Ramsey

thysonsacclaim

I drive the 450 a few times a week, but have stopped recently because I discovered a head gasket leak. It is very, very minor and is only affecting one cylinder... but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I'm planning on doing the chain and gasket sometime in the next few weeks. I am taking most of the top end off, so I will decide then based on what I find if I want to start the EFI conversion now or not.

But... I do wish I was driving it to school every day. I walk past it to get into the Dodge Dakota Quad cab... just isn't the same in the truck.

s class

My 280SE had been my daily driver since 1997, continuously, apart from a 2-year folly with a W140 in 2006-7.  Mileage is now indicated at 481000km. 

I use the car for daily home-work-home in traffic, all my runarounds to industrial areas that I do for my car activities and day-job, I use it for long distance family holiday trips, I use it for long distance business travel, I use it on bad gravel roads for safaris, I transport building materials in it, and , oh, I even used it as my wedding car in 2004. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Big_Richard

Quote from: s class on 13 October 2010, 07:23 AM
My 280SE had been my daily driver since 1997, continuously, apart from a 2-year folly with a W140 in 2006-7.  Mileage is now indicated at 481000km. 

I use the car for daily home-work-home in traffic, all my runarounds to industrial areas that I do for my car activities and day-job, I use it for long distance family holiday trips, I use it for long distance business travel, I use it on bad gravel roads for safaris, I transport building materials in it, and , oh, I even used it as my wedding car in 2004. 

Are you going to open a bottle of champagne when it ticks over the 500,000k's mark ? 8)

s class

I probably won't open champagne, but I will open the engine.... my goal is to reach the 500 000km mark before the next engine rebuild.  The engine is a bit weak at the moment. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

craigb

Yep my 280 is a daily driver and I love it. There is a late model diesel Peugeot parked next to it, not a bad car and now and then I grab the keys to that one but it only ends up reminding me how much I love the Benz. The Pug has really become the wifes car (or the car when we need to stick the dog in the back of a wagon) and she has always had the fear of it being such a big car, and it is a manual trans. But the Pug decided to throw its oil filler cap away and it took a week to get one in from the dealer and so I drove the 113 while the wife took the 116. Was getting a bit nervous when she said things like "its not as big as I thought and its pretty easy to park etc........... but I suppose I could always buy her another one! But it is all just transport to her and she is happy back in the Pug.  And I forgot to say mine is on a straight lpg conversion, runs perfectly and so cheap to run.

And of course saying all this it will start having trouble.... touchwood...... touchwood......wheres some wood!
1980 280s

Papalangi

Mine's a "daily" driver but since I live 9 miles from work and only work 15 days a month I only put around 3500 miles a year on it.

Michael
'83 300SD, I'm back!  It's the son's new car (12/2020)
1976 450SEL, 116.033  Sold it to buy a '97 Crown Vic.  Made sense at the time.
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8

jjb-w116-hu

I certainly do, in and around town and out of town which the old girl appreciates ! :)

adamb

After selling the 500SEC last Xmas, the 6.9 is the only car I drive. I don't drive much as there's the motorbike and bicycle but every so often it gets a lot of use within town and without. Mileage is now coming up to 79K.

haromaster87

Been drivin my 74' 450 SE since I got it, and I love it! It's such a pleasant, nice car to drive. I came from drivin my moms '98 E320 daily, and I honestly prefer the W116. I'll still take the W210 every so often because it gets better mileage, and I like havin the ABS in the rain. Still though, I find the S-class just so much cooler to drive. It feels so solid. And even without ABS it stops really well. The AC blows cold, it's just an amazing car that I'm happy to drive every morning. Honestly, I'd be happy just keepin this car and refreshing it as needed.

ulysees

Yes my 300SD is my daily driver up here on the B.C. coast...  he's got just over 435,000 km on him now and runs very well. Front suspension needs some work and windshield and back window leak but not terribly.
He's my truck and does everything i ask. Just finishing up the garage so he'll have a home where i can get to work on him when i have the necessary time and funds...

Tony66_au

My current daily is an 87 230TE (M102) with 410'000 km on the clock but its a bit underpowered for my liking, When I picked up my 450SE I drove it for a few weeks daily and put a few thousand km on the clock but some issues forced me back to the wagon for now.

That said Ive given up on new cars and im spending my cash on making the 2 Benz's better daily drivers and that is what they will stay.

Cheers.
Tony