News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

White knuckle trip!

Started by 1980sdga, 12 April 2011, 12:01 PM

1980sdga

I travel a lot for work and have taken the 1980 sd on the last few trips. My regular "road car" is an '05 CTS-V, so this is a bit of a cool change  :D  Folks just CAN'T UNDERSTAND why I would drive this old Merc when I have a nice Caddy at home, but I'm sure you guys understand  ;D

Anyway...

I took "Tempermental" on a little 350 mile trip on Monday and had a ball driving out but it was pretty windy coming home and I had to fight the wheel every inch of the way. I swear the car was all over the road between 50 and 65 mph. I had tightened up the steering box a little too much (I think) and it may have had something to do with it.

I've been thinking about getting a slightly less used 116 or 126 diesel for a regular road car but this has me reconsidering it. 

So, should I expect this out of an old Merc in better shape?  I'm really enjoying the mileage this car is getting!

Mforcer

I find driving my 116 is the easiest car to drive, regardless of city or highway driving. Part of the appeal of a 116 is the ease in driving.

i am not an expert to diagnose issues but I would check the steering box as you suggest.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

koan

Any car will be affected by a side wind but in a W116 it would have to be a pretty strong wind if you had to "fight the wheel every inch of the way". My experience is that a sudden gust of wind from the side will need a bit of a steering correction and my steering box is not the best but it sounds like you have a bigger problem.

Worth checking tyre pressures are correct first, maybe there is some wear in the steering joints or suspension joints and rubbers.

koan

Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

john6007

I'd agree with Koan, it's tricky in a strong cross wind in a high roof Toyota Hiace but not in a W116.
79 - 450SEL 6.9 #5628 &  #6466, 92 - 300CE-24, 98 - MX-5, 89 - Ducati 906 Paso

Mforcer

I have had my (previous) steering box over tightened in the past and it was a nightmare to drive as you describe. The steering needed to be corrected constantly as the steering would struggle to center itself. Could you have only noticed the issue at higher speeds?
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

1980sdga

Quote from: Mforcer on 13 April 2011, 02:02 AM
I have had my (previous) steering box over tightened in the past and it was a nightmare to drive as you describe. The steering needed to be corrected constantly as the steering would struggle to center itself. Could you have only noticed the issue at higher speeds?

That describes it pretty well.  I was CONSTANTLY correcting! 

I also learned that I had driven through a pretty strong storm system that night with some damaging winds in the area  :o