Started by Des, 17 March 2007, 01:59 AM

Which sort of Mercedes Owner are you?

Mercedes Enthusiast magazine
7 (70%)
Mercedes Classic magazine
3 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Des

I am only aware of these two magazines for our cars, Mercedes Classic Magazine, and the Mercedes Enthusiast, which one do you prefer reading?

Over the last few months I have started reading both (I know they are expensive) with Mercedes Enthusiast weighting in at $10 at the only news agent I can find here that stocks it. and with Mercedes Classic Magazine topping the scales at $14.50. Price isn't really a great concern for me, although glancing at other magazines at the newsstand I can't help but notice their generally cheaper....$7.95-$8.95. Sure these Mb mags cater for a smaller market and costs and profits need to be covered. I'll give them that.

Content and presentation wise I lean towards Mercedes Classic Magazine, its presented more like a history book, full double page pictures, nicely scripted fronts for the articles, heavier feel to the magazine. Feels more like something a Mercedes gentleman would want on his bookshelf. Or maybe the back seat of his car when the time arises to have a read. Both magazines are definitely catered for people with large wallets, much bigger than mine. With Mercedes Classic main focus on cars that have been totally restored to "as new" condition regardless of expense spared. Many seem to have been restored via the Mercedes Classic center and this magazines definitely provides a subtle medium for Mercedes to promote their work, hats off to them for that. Mercedes Enthusiast tries to balance their work, they do cover a lot of the spectrum, several hundred thousand dollar AMG wiz bangers and the apparently large classic MB market that exists in the UK. Maybe for my taste they just don't seem to cover enough.

I would be interested to hear other people's comments, and are there any other dedicted MB magazines out there?

Brian Crump

Andrew280SEL

Enthusiast for me

But thats probably not fair, since Ive never read the classic one.

The first enthusiast issue i read featured the article about the V8 w116's.

Im sure you know the one I mean  ;)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

Tomi

Quote from: Andrew280SEL on 17 March 2007, 05:16 AM

We get the classic mag for free, started last year as a gesture from our official MB-club. Nowadays I would think all the MB clubs around the world (common forum, with sum of u guys already there) are more in cooperation, and I have thought they all receive this magazine.

I am not aware of a w116 article in the enthusiast mag. That would be great to have it scanned in the library.
In the classic mag. 2/2004 there is a nice article on the 6.9 w116, I keep that in my collections.

about these 2 magazines, the choice is quite hard,
for the classic: + very good fotos, + extremely well presented cars with a sense of feeling transmitted to the reader, - concentrated mainly on the top level models which are in top condition.
for the enthusiast: + more common models presented, + more mechanical advice, + more mechanics and the real stuff, less feelings .

I think both are good and needed, but I ended up voting for the enthusiast.
regards

WGB

I have been reading M-B Enthusiast since the 4th or 5th issue and have almost the complete set.

I have a subscription direct with the magazine in the UK and it arrives by airmail each month a few days after release and 2 to 3 months before that issue arrives in the local bookshops for a slightly cheaper price.

The Pitshop Bookshop in Perth gets them in airmail and usually has the latest issue plus the previous 2 or 3 months available.

I find the M-B Classic a bit esoteric for me but buy it from time to time if there is an interesting restoration article - I have one on restoring sunroofs which is topical at the pesent for me.

M-B enthusiast has a mix of modern News, articles on older cars and/or series of cars plus there is usually an article on one of the newer technologies available in the new cars eg the Bi-Xenon lights with turning beams as in my ML 500, Infra -red night vision in the new S-class and this month has the new self-parking option.

The detail can be a bit light and it focusses on mainly UK news but as a general M-B enthusiast who likes old and new cars (Yes Patrick - especially the new "plastic " ones) I get a good read each month.

Bill

Grant V

I read both magazines, as well as 'Classic and Sportcars'; 'Classic & Thoroughbred Cars' and 'Octane'.
Being a classic car nut, I prefer Classic Mercedes, which has great articles and good photos. I do, however, find it VERY formal and VERY inline with Mercedes' corporate image.
Mercedes Enthusiast is a good spread for the marque and features a few good classic articles, but modern cars and tuning doesn't really float my boat.
"You've bought another bloody car?!? We should have you committed!" he shrieked, storming out of the room

bahnstormer109

I read both "classic" and "enthusiast".

in fact i have a subscription to both and have every issue of both from issue #1 to current.

that reminds me, i need to go and tidy them up and put them all in order..... :P
Paolo,
Brisbane, Australia.

72 300SEL 3.5
84 280CE
86 560SEL
86 230TE

oscar

Bahnstormer, how many issues would that be?  When did they start?
1973 350SE, my first & fave

bahnstormer109

Hi Oscar,

"MB Classic" comes out quarterly and began with 1 issue in late 2002. theres 16 issues altogether so far and the next one should be due soon #1/2007. they come out every 3 months around march, june, sept, dec. but sometimes delivery from germany gets stuffed up.

"mercedes enthusiast" began with issue #1 in Nov 2001. we're now up to issue 65. i was a bit slack renewing this year and i missed 64 so ill be getting 64 and 65 together soon.

i grew up reading firstly "wheels" magazine when i was about 10. i soon got sick of reading about commodores being roadtested against falcons and started reading the britsh mag "car" then got sick of new cars altogether and started getting the british mags "classic and sports car" and "thoroghbred and classic car" which are both great (and this probably explains my perverse fetish for british cars today). but i usually only bought these when they had articles about benzes in them so when dedicated benz mags came out i jumped on them.

admittedly when i was a kid it was my mum that got them for me, i cant be bothered checking the shops for them so i just subscribe now.

i keep all my mags as reference points for info on models and pics etc. ive also been known to get sick and spend days in bed surrounded by piles and piles of these mags.

ive never been a big fan of TV or computer games. i only watch TV once a week and thats when Top Gears on. and i only have 3 DVDs 2X top gear and "coltranes planes and automobiles" on loan from a friend.
Paolo,
Brisbane, Australia.

72 300SEL 3.5
84 280CE
86 560SEL
86 230TE

gregdeklerk

I prefer the Classic too. I grew a little tired of the Enthusiast because they started to concentrate on the newer models more.

Danny Berry

Quote from: Andrew280SEL on 17 March 2007, 05:16 AM
Enthusiast for me

But thats probably not fair, since Ive never read the classic one.

That wouldn't be the one with the "Unique" RHD 350 SEL, would it?

OzBenzHead

Quote from: styria on 18 March 2007, 03:18 PM"In Aller Welt" [...] I have copies of it dating right back to 1958. I'll soon advertise those on Ebay. 

I know I shouldn't even be considering such a flagrant extravagance (when I ought to be building a large garage!), but, Styria, old mate, you will let me know when that's about to happen, won't you? Please?    ::)
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

bahnstormer109

Styria,

i agree with your sentiments re mercedes enthusiast mag completely. maybe we should send them a collective email from W116.org

ive been a bit dissappointed with their articles featuring the 116. they really talk it down and focus on its age and lack of monetary value. i remember one article on the 116, the author wrote that they are merely to be considered as cheap cars to be run on a "strict schedule of petrol, water and if really necessary oil top ups". and when something goes wrong with it, to get rid of it.

is this mercedes enthusiast, or the dog and lemon guide???

out of all the mercs ive owned the 116 is the one with the most dedicated forums that ive found anyway. theres a lot of 116 enthusiasts out there, just as many as any other chassis type if not more anyway.
Paolo,
Brisbane, Australia.

72 300SEL 3.5
84 280CE
86 560SEL
86 230TE

Andrew280SEL

Quote from: Danny Berry on 18 March 2007, 05:11 PM
That wouldn't be the one with the "Unique" RHD 350 SEL, would it?

yep, the very one!  ;D
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9