News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Which sort of Mercedes Owner are you?

Started by Des, 17 March 2007, 01:59 AM

Which sort of Mercedes Owner are you?

Mercedes Enthusiast magazine
7 (70%)
Mercedes Classic magazine
3 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Brian Crump

Well said, Bahnstormer. In my humble opinion, Mercedes Enthusiast is written by journalists who would prefer to be driving an MG TC. That is, they are not unbiased or impartial; they have simply latched onto a niche market and are attempting to write for it. We see the same here in Australian newspapers when the sycophants of the Daily Terror write up every Holden/Falcon as though it was sketched by Pininfarina and engineered W.O. Bentley himself.
It's not a uniquely British or Australian trait - journalists of other countries tend to write up their own as superior and some journalists have about as much technical understanding of a motor vehicle as my dog does of flying to Mars.
The exception seems to be the French motor magazines. They are hyper-critical of French products. I guess it is a type of cultural cringe?
Regards,
BC

gregdeklerk

Brian, I can't see you releasing Olga or Bea into the custody of some Russian cosmonaught, by the name of Boris.

Brian Crump

Greg - how did you know my fantasy is a black Moskvitch? :o
BC

gregdeklerk

Quote from: Brian Crump on 19 March 2007, 04:55 AM
Greg - how did you know my fantasy is a black Moskvitch? :o
BC

Brian you surprise me! I thought it would have been a Molotov Cocktail ;D ;D ;D

Brian Crump

oscar

Styria's comments on the "constant power race" and what seems to be a focus on the collectable models makes me think the enthusiast mag has missed the mark.   So too Bahnstormer's thoughts and perception that "they really talk it down and focus on its age and lack of monetary value". 
So monetary value, power and collectability makes a classic for an enthusiast ???

Why does this red carburetted 280S in my yard capture my attention, imagination and admiration.  It's the lowest spec w116, it's no powerhouse, it's cheap, needs work, yet I just want to fix it, go drive it, hear it, and feel it.  It's a beautiful car.  This is what enthusiasm is all about.

I'll buy the mag if I see it in a newsagent, there's just none that stock it locally.  Fair enough, criticise the cars as none are perfect, but I'd rather read about, as styria said "issues of cost etc. in restoring a 6.3", a pagoda, a ponton, a 1975 w116 280S. ;)
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Andrew280SEL

'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

gregdeklerk

Quote from: oscar on 19 March 2007, 05:18 AM

Why does this red carburetted 280S in my yard capture my attention, imagination and admiration.  It's the lowest spec w116, it's no powerhouse, it's cheap, needs work, yet I just want to fix it, go drive it, hear it, and feel it.  It's a beautiful car.  This is what enthusiasm is all about.

Oscar, I know how you feel! It is this damn forum that gets you going. You can't seem to get enough of these cars!! I am on the scout for a late model 116. They get under your nails, in your hair and play with your psyche.

A few years ago I needed to replace the rear bumper and grill and it turned out to be cheaper to buy a whole car for spares for these items. The car was a 73 280SE, a non-runner and a rust bucket, but the chrome was good. I had her in the back yard for a few weeks while I slowly stripped her. Oddly enough, I got quite attached to her. I even polished up her boot to see what she would look like. Then the Minister put her foot down and the old girl had to go. A fellow wanted the gearbox and he agreed to take the whole car. I remember being quite sad at seeing this battered and stripped 116 disappearing down the street on the back of a flatbed!! Stupid hey?

Greg

oscar

It's a familiar story Greg.  I got my 280S as a $700AUD parts car.  $300 for the car $400 for the kenwood stereo etc.  There's too many good points about the car to rob parts from it. 
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Grant V

Quote from: bahnstormer109 on 19 March 2007, 04:06 AM

ive been a bit dissappointed with their articles featuring the 116. they really talk it down and focus on its age and lack of monetary value. i remember one article on the 116, the author wrote that they are merely to be considered as cheap cars to be run on a "strict schedule of petrol, water and if really necessary oil top ups". and when something goes wrong with it, to get rid of it.

I read an article some years ago where Mercedes Enthusiast pitched the 6.3 against the 6.9. Make no mistake, the 6.3 is a phenominal car, but there is no way that, air sprung and all, it can possibly compare to a 6.9 in terms of ride and general composure. I reckon that the 6.3's iconic status totally eclipsed their judgement and I truly think that the W116 is quite possibly the most overlooked and underrated Mercedes yet. Buy now before people discover the world's best kept secret!
"You've bought another bloody car?!? We should have you committed!" he shrieked, storming out of the room

Martin 280s

Quote from: oscar on 19 March 2007, 05:18 AM

The supposed experts in the field of classic cars tell all about the 'great' cars which were made e.g. Bugatti, Bentley etc. I too think they're fabulous cars but not for my pocket.
However, a think a classic is a car we can relate to. A memory from our childhood, a famous car from the telly...anyone remember the TV series 'the Saint' with its white Jaguar XJS? Or Arthur Daley's Jag in 'Minder'?, The Ford Torino from 'Starsky and Hutch'?
I bought my 280s, not basic spec though, because it is beautiful, a car from my youth, although I don't remember ever seeing one. The directors of the firm where my dad worked had W123's. I know that the W116 is NOT a blue chip investment but it's realistically priced, easy to keep, and gets admiring looks and it's my passion without a doubt ;D
In Brazil, all things American with a V8 are "Chariots of the Gods", they command absurd prices and  still from Ford, GM etc. If they were a pre-war Packard or a Duesenberg etc. maybe I could understand the reason for wild prices but a 1960's Ford offering Lincoln Continental for R$120,000 (+/-US$57,000) is crazy, but...It's a classic, so they say..and don't THEY just!   

WGB

FYI - the April Edition of Mercedes Enthusiast arrived in the post today.

Not a jot about 116's though

Bill