News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Which 116 should I choose?

Started by Tobh, 15 May 2024, 10:50 AM

Tobh

Hi guys!

I've been in the market for a 116 for a little while now, and have found 2 cars that I'm currently considering.

The first one is a gold 1975 450SE with only a little over 70 000 km on the odometer. I have been to check out this car and it is super clean. It is completely rust free and almost looks new and it drives beautifully. An interesting thing about this car is that it was ordered new with almost no extra options. It has an electric sunroof, but that's about it. It has no AC, no central locking, manual windows and not even the rear 450SE-badge. The owner wants around $18 500 for it.

The other car is a green 1975 350SE with around 120 000 km, so also relatively low mileage. I haven't looked at this car yet in person, as it's located a bit further away from where I live. But from the pictures it looks really clean and is pretty much rust free, according to the owner. This one is going for $11 000.

I intend to use whichever car I get as a daily driver during the spring/summer months. I currently don't have a garage, but I will store the car inside during the winter. The 450 is close to perfect, and I feel like it might be too nice, as I intend to put some mileage on it. But then again, these cars deserve to be driven as well. The 350 is a bit cheaper, so that's also a factor. I'm pretty sure both of them would make good summer dailys, but I just can't make up my mind. 

daantjie

Depending on which fuel injection they come with in my opinion. Stay away from DJET and go for KJET. DJET is a nightmare to diagnose and parts are expensive and scarce.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Tobh

Quote from: daantjie on 15 May 2024, 02:58 PMDepending on which fuel injection they come with in my opinion. Stay away from DJET and go for KJET. DJET is a nightmare to diagnose and parts are expensive and scarce.

I assume both are d-jet since they're both from 1975.

BMA

Agree to Tobh, both should be D-Jet, which is more complex to maintain, but if it works, it has haven some advantages to K-Jet in Fuel consumption and slightly more power.

If optically you like both the same, I would recommend the 450. Very similar fuel consumption but more torque from down low. Kind Regards from Germany, Björn
happy having finally a 6.9 # 7271 in my garage, ...so nice to cruise!

Randys01

7 grand difference ?.mmm the gold  one looks fabulous. Id agree with Daniel  K jet over D if you assess them to be equal adjusted for price.

Pete49

I tend to disagree with the Djet knockers. I have a '75 450 DJet and not a problem at all. All systems have their benefits and downsides and to be honest my 450SEL is coming up to its 200k miles(UK import) birthday and has been trouble free.
What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.
Edward Langley,  Artist (1928-1995)

daantjie

My point is both systems are great if everything's fine.  Try finding a DJET expert or parts.  Good luck.
KJET was installed in literally millions of cars over more than a decade so the parts supply and support is infinitely better.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Tobh

Thanks for the replies, guys!
I'm not too worried about the d-jet vs. k-jet issue, especially if the car has been properly maintained, as these two seem to have been.
I'm also just wondering if I'm foolish for going for a car as nice as the 450 here, to then drive it every day except for in the winter? But then again, I'm sure those will be pretty trouble free miles/kms, with a car in such a good condition.

Pete49

Why have a car and not drive it. They will deteriorate if not used regularly. They're not good as garage queens, leave that to the collector and enjoy your driving days.
What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.
Edward Langley,  Artist (1928-1995)

w116john

that gold car looks great with that interior, and leather is easier to keep repair or replace than the velour in the green car.

whatever about the d/jet k/jet argument ( kjet parts are easier to find and cheaper) i always think about, how nice a place is it to sit and drive and of those two the gold wins.

enjoy the search
john

Tobh

I am tempted to go for the 450 (the gold one). I'm not sure if I've ever seen a 116 in better condition than this one. And with such low mileage. Hopefully I'll be able to negotiate the price a bit.

w116john

tobh
just for curiosity are the available to see on a website?

Tobh

Quote from: w116john on 17 May 2024, 04:52 PMtobh
just for curiosity are the available to see on a website?

Unfortunately not. I've only been in contact with the owners privately.