News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Where for all the W116?

Started by Mforcer, 05 September 2005, 02:34 AM

Mforcer

I have just returned from traveling around parts of central and eastern Europe and was most surprised as to how few old cars there were like our beloved W116. In five weeks I saw only four W116 and one of those was on display at the Mercedes-Benz Classic Center (photos coming soon!) :?:

Looking at the members of this fourm, it appears that the majority of owners come from Australia and the United States of America. It would seem that these countries have in common cheap fuel, unrestrictive motoring laws and high disposable incomes to allow for the repairs and maintenance of the older cars.

Is it because that these cars were not regarded as being as exotic as they are in other parts of the world and so not considered colletable?

Is it just the higher cost of running large, old cars that are relatively inefficient and expensive?

Is this what other people have found? I really am surprised that I didn't see more old MBs especially in Stuttgart.

Where are all the W116 :?:
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

hokman

I've the same question too, since the 116 was quite a popular model.  I think most people can't see the beauty and advantages of them, and took them to the breakers as most are worth more in parts.

Two days ago, I read the mercedes enthusiast magazine.  And there's a feature talking about the biggest mercedes spares centre in the UK.  There is this big yard with mercedes stacked on top of each other, and three stories buildings filled with parts.  There are many newer mercedes like W140 and w201, and their parts worth much more than 116.  So I guess there's so much 116 broken for spares that the plentyful amount means a cheap price.  For example a 116 V8 engine costs only ?300.  A door for w140 costs more than twice of that.

Mforcer

This raises the question of why are all the cars being kept for spares if there are no cars on the road needing spares? I wonder how much it will cost to send all the spares to other parts of the world to where these cars are still being driven.
Michael
2006 B200

Denis

Hi

Here in France, they are either scrap or vave been exported to north Africa or the Middle east.

Any good W116 or W126 coming to the scrapyard is immediately repaired, cleaned, even painted and shipping to Marocco, Algeria, Tunisia or the middle east.

These cars are great family carriers and in dry, warm countries, dont rust ! They "fry" to bits but getting fabrics is easy.

When the W116 becomes rare in those countries, tehn W116 will BE collectible.

Denis from Paris

oscar

I wonder how many we have in Oz.  As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I live in a town of 26,000 and there's at least 9 116's registered, mostly 280's.  Going on that figure, that's just under 7000 roadworthy w116's nationwide. WOW!!!  Yeah that sounds about right???  Who knows.

I'm amazed there was only one 116 at Salzburg.  As you mention Styria, fuel cost is a major factor for many especially in Europe.  In Australia, despite the recent price rises we are lucky to still be amongst the cheapest.  Mind you, the price is still high and I wouldn't be surprised if the rate of 116 retirements increased over coming years.

What about  USA?  I remember reading Hokman's comments about the small number of 116's in his part of the world in Canada.  Is there anyone there that can comment about 116 prevalence in the states?
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Denis

Hi MB350

Here is a revealing inspection of the state of things about the W116. Just have a look at ebay.de, do a "suche" for Mercedes W116. You will find tons of tiny parts and a few complete cars that are sold for next to nothing. the cars are being parted. Why ?

Fuel costs ? yes but there is more to it, German and other Euro national taxes on weight/displacement make a heavy, 30 rear old Mercedes with a "big" engine a very poor purchase for those looking for low cost transportation. They pass up a W116 and buy and old Renault Clio, VW Polo or Opel Corsa.

What does this say ? W116s are worth... nothing :-( AND it's time to buy all those cheap parts. And then what ? well, when the parts are gone and even the 280SE will become rare...(pause)...the W116 will begin to be appreciated...slowly, it's like a W114 250C, nice car but dull interior. There was some sort of low key tone to 70's MBZ that create a "value" problem. Anyone having seen a W109 glove box door in THICK, real wood knows this. The W126 went uphill but with "plastic".

What currently ais  W116 in Europe ? OK fellows, dont cry but here goes : it's a car for a turkish family in Berlin, a car for a gypsy family in Hungary, a car for a mafiosi bunch in Ukraine...need I go on ? The W116 is NOT really desirable. I bought mine with service records for 800? and the guy would have taken 500, but the records were complete and he had new brake pads.

The 6.9 ? a bottomless pit for fuel costs with big registration taxes and complicated, expensive parts. Worse still, Euro pollution legislation may eventually punish "big" engines, like the M110 ;-)

Last year, I dared go to the Renault training services in Boulogne, near the old factory on the west side of Paris, with my 350SE. Gypsy car hey (laughs) ? so at break, we got on the internet and I said : Want to see what W116s are good for ? I downloaded the Ronin video clip...(he-he) the car that gets blasted to bits is a ...Renault... (no laughs)?

Ok, I'm going to take advantage of this situation of what is an unrecognised good wine.

Regards to all the aussies enjoying nice weather, it's getting quite cold in France.

Denis

hokman

Quote from: "Denis"Hi MB350

Here is a revealing inspection of the state of things about the W116. Just have a look at ebay.de, do a "suche" for Mercedes W116. You will find tons of tiny parts and a few complete cars that are sold for next to nothing. the cars are being parted. Why ?

Fuel costs ? yes but there is more to it, German and other Euro national taxes on weight/displacement make a heavy, 30 rear old Mercedes with a "big" engine a very poor purchase for those looking for low cost transportation. They pass up a W116 and buy and old Renault Clio, VW Polo or Opel Corsa.

What does this say ? W116s are worth... nothing :-( AND it's time to buy all those cheap parts. And then what ? well, when the parts are gone and even the 280SE will become rare...(pause)...the W116 will begin to be appreciated...slowly, it's like a W114 250C, nice car but dull interior. There was some sort of low key tone to 70's MBZ that create a "value" problem. Anyone having seen a W109 glove box door in THICK, real wood knows this. The W126 went uphill but with "plastic".

What currently ais  W116 in Europe ? OK fellows, dont cry but here goes : it's a car for a turkish family in Berlin, a car for a gypsy family in Hungary, a car for a mafiosi bunch in Ukraine...need I go on ? The W116 is NOT really desirable. I bought mine with service records for 800? and the guy would have taken 500, but the records were complete and he had new brake pads.

The 6.9 ? a bottomless pit for fuel costs with big registration taxes and complicated, expensive parts. Worse still, Euro pollution legislation may eventually punish "big" engines, like the M110 ;-)

Last year, I dared go to the Renault training services in Boulogne, near the old factory on the west side of Paris, with my 350SE. Gypsy car hey (laughs) ? so at break, we got on the internet and I said : Want to see what W116s are good for ? I downloaded the Ronin video clip...(he-he) the car that gets blasted to bits is a ...Renault... (no laughs)?

Ok, I'm going to take advantage of this situation of what is an unrecognised good wine.

Regards to all the aussies enjoying nice weather, it's getting quite cold in France.

Denis

W116 is my favourite benz of all time.  Seeing the king of cars degrade to such a level, I should be crying.  The W116 combines the best of both new and old worlds.  Combining classic chrome and prestigeous, imposing, dignified  ministerial styling with new world technology such as anti-dive geometry suspension.  Does other newer benzes still use this suspension design?

Denis

Styria, hokman

Sorry I was hard but that is Euro reality.
I too wished I had a 6.9 because the hydraupenumatic is very WELL known in France : suspension maintenance on such suspensions is much cheaper than almost anywhere else in the world !

Hokman, a passenger once insulted me by saying I was driving a "auto de ministre" : so you are 100% right, those people have no class. Do you have a motorcade with your W116 ?

As I said, it's time to enjoy and buy up before the inevitable rise in value :-)

BTW, another thing I heard against the W116 is that it is too "american" (chrome), funny as nobody says that about the W109s ... automotive racism ? probably...

And yes styria,  I am painfully aware that aussies are seeing the rise of their wonderful summer - enjoy.

Tchuss aus Frankreich

Denis

oscar

Hi Denis

The cheap prices on ebay for parts are incredible.  Unfortunately the language barrier has restricted my buying even though I bought an English/German dictionary to assist.  Regardless, I've picked up a new door check in original packaging from the UK for 15GBP or $30AUD posted.  Both side mirrors off a 300sd for $40 AUD posted from Canada.  

Its a bit of hit and miss with quality, you get what you pay for.  But I love a bargain.  After spending around $80 over the past year I purchased my 7th headlight and now have one perfect as new lens for my drivers side and one perfect reflector for the passenger side.  All stowed away for the impending makeover, one day.

OzBenzHead

Quote from: "mb350"... the language barrier has restricted my buying even though I bought an English/German dictionary to assist. ...

I got so frustrated at not being able to read all the German-language-only M-B web sites (and eBay ads in German only) that three weeks ago I commenced a course in German. Sure beats using AltaVista's BabelFish.
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

Mforcer

OzBenzHead, now THAT is dedication! :shock: You do realise that your translation services will be called upon here? :)
Michael
2006 B200

OzBenzHead

Quote from: "450SE"OzBenzHead, now THAT is dedication! :shock: You do realise that your translation services will be called upon here? :)

Don't rush me - I'm still very much in my novitiate!  :lol: Ich erlerne Deutsches langsam. :lol:  I've taken to watching, listening - and concurrently reading - the news on Deutsche Welle (Germany's "ABC" broadcaster) via broadband.

There were some interesting articles on DaimlerChrysler - e.g. 8,500 jobs to be cut! - and its ongoing problems with profitability and quality.

At least the idiot who is largely responsible for the drops in profitability and quality - Jurgen Schrempp - has been given the flick and replaced with a new head of M-B. Schrempp presided over M-B for the last decade, which is the period over which the quality and reliability of Benzes fell into disrepute.

If nothing else, the learning exercise should prevent brain rot!   :lol:
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

oscar

Aussie Dave

DOH!!

No.

I know what you mean. Looks like I'll be using the left side for decoration.

hokman

Quote from: "styria"Most of the company's present problems can be sourced to the Smart Car which is proving to be an absolute millstone as far as profitability is concerned. It is a marketing strategy that has misfired. Regards, Styria

Haha, quite true.  The profit for this car is like 99%.  4 wheel leaf spring sus, de dion rear.  A $2000 ATV is more high tech than this.
And the only good car from the smart line the roadster that harks back to small sports cars of the really old days is being killed off because it's not as profitable.