News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

WHAWWW!! (Yes, The 350SE Prompted this reaction...)

Started by 116.025, 19 February 2007, 09:38 PM

oscar

Oh no, don't say that, I'm thinking about getting a set.  They're starting to grow on me, well, not literally, you know what I mean :)

Any more news on the fuel issue chad? All sorted and back together?
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Quote from: s class on 01 March 2007, 05:35 AM
SO when can we see pictures of this here 350?

The long answer is, when work lets me go back to working more normal hours and I have more time for the forum...

The short answer is: NOW!

Under Drive.

Well, I was going to post more of the pics here, but it doesn't seem to be working.  It's giving me an error...

Anyways, I sorted out the fuel issue and it is running again.  I also tightened the belts (which are obviously not the correct sizes, because even brand new, the alternator belt is almost adjusted full out just to get it right...) put the mirror glass off of my 280SEL on it, and a couple of other odds and ends.  I've got to decide what I'm going to do about the exhaust leak, I hope some metal tape will get it through the inspection.  I can't wait to get it licensed, which I think will happen Monday.  I'm trying to decide about tires, the Yokohamas on the rear are slick and nearly out of tread.

And believe me, it sounds much better in real life than that rather low-quality video.

BTW, the US lights could be yours for the right price, anyone interested should PM me.

oscar

Hi Chad,

Just had a look at your photos, here's the link for anyone else

Very nice!!!!   ;D  Don't know anything about the wheels and the brand, sorry. ET23 offset?  Should be ok I assume.  The idea of 225/60/15's sounds appealing.

Your dissolved fuel line has me thinking I better check mine out.  That's scary.

Your Becker Mexico could very well be original.  Most had chrome bezels and the pinstripe facade but later models (not sure which year they started) ended up with a more modern looking all black facade that was put in some w123's and early 126's as well.  Either way, it's not out of era for a w116 to have an all black becker mexico.

The side repeater is interesting.    I remember seeing a 220 cabriolet that was formerly owned by Madonna that had similar repeaters and I wouldn't be surprised if they were attached to satisfy a state law originally.  But I've never seen them on a w116 let alone towards the rear.  It looks very similar to the ones pictured below.

Good to see your fuel line's back in order.  What did you use? rubber or steel/aluminium? 

Re: missing strips off your grille.  I got replacements from AutohausAZ.  You probably know where to get parts but just in case you haven't looked yet, at this particular site, if you go to:  Makes > 1977 Mercedes > 450SEL > Body, Trim & Lighting > Clips and Miscellaneous Trim Pieces , you buy vertical and horizontal clips for the mouldings, then go to:  Makes > 1977 Mercedes > 450SEL > Body, Trim & Lighting > Weatherstripping/Moulding to buy horizontal and vertical mouldings.  Not a priority I know but they're so cheap, might as well replace the whole lot whilst your at it. 

The biggest problem with sourcing parts for a 350 I've found is that no US sites list 350 parts as such.  So many things and I mean a huge majority of parts are the same as 450 parts unless they're specifically for a M116 engine as opposed to an M117.

Good luck on Monday, fingers crossed :)

1973 350SE, my first & fave

Mforcer

Not sure who made those rims either but the KBA 40439 looks like an AMG part number to me. I would expect the rims would be stamped AMG somewhere if they were made by/for AMG though.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Quote from: oscar on 04 March 2007, 07:27 AM
The side repeater is interesting.    I remember seeing a 220 cabriolet that was formerly owned by Madonna that had similar repeaters and I wouldn't be surprised if they were attached to satisfy a state law originally.  But I've never seen them on a w116 let alone towards the rear.  It looks very similar to the ones pictured below.

Interesting, I've never heard them called repeaters before.  Yes, they are part of some US reg, since they are on all US-spec 114, 115, 108, 109, 111 coupe/cab, 113 cars which didn't have a tail light that wrapped around with enough room for reflector and bulb.  It just seems like the US 116 lenses would be so common they would have used one instead ruining the look like that.  ::)

Good to see your fuel line's back in order.  What did you use? rubber or steel/aluminium? 

Rubber Fuel injection line at the local Advance. 5/16", I believe.

Re: missing strips off your grille.  I got replacements from AutohausAZ.  You probably know where to get parts but just in case you haven't looked yet, at this particular site, if you go to:  Makes > 1977 Mercedes > 450SEL > Body, Trim & Lighting > Clips and Miscellaneous Trim Pieces , you buy vertical and horizontal clips for the mouldings, then go to:  Makes > 1977 Mercedes > 450SEL > Body, Trim & Lighting > Weatherstripping/Moulding to buy horizontal and vertical mouldings.  Not a priority I know but they're so cheap, might as well replace the whole lot whilst your at it. 

The biggest problem with sourcing parts for a 350 I've found is that no US sites list 350 parts as such.  So many things and I mean a huge majority of parts are the same as 450 parts unless they're specifically for a M116 engine as opposed to an M117.

Good luck on Monday, fingers crossed :)

I have trumped the need to use US sites(and even the desire to try to acquire a copy of the EPC), from now on (or at least, once I get a bulb for the fiche reader) I will be looking up my own part #s and buying like that, as I have come into possession of a (nearly?) complete set of MB microfiche ranging at least from the W111s to the W140s, maybe a little older, also including the engine and transmission fiche, with international market spec coverage for most of the cars.  I gotta hurry up a find a bulb!

And I drove her in to work this morning, I'm hoping the tires will pass and I can patch the hole in the exhaust so it will pass inspection when I give it a go on Saturday, since I have to have it inspected w/in 10 days of licensing it.

Quote from: Mforcer on 04 March 2007, 06:14 PM
Not sure who made those rims either but the KBA 40439 looks like an AMG part number to me. I would expect the rims would be stamped AMG somewhere if they were made by/for AMG though.

That would be really cool if they were AMG, but I haven't seen their logo yet.