News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

What would you call . . .

Started by Big_Richard, 26 November 2011, 07:34 PM

TJ 450

It wouldn't surprise me if the US bumpers were lighter in weight, as all the 5MPH bumpers I've come across were alloy/plastic (SAAB/Volvo).

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

koan

Is the alloy boot lid and bonnet all alloy or is it just alloy skin on a steel frame?

koan

Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Hemersam

Major Tom: at least you don't have B. Obama "running things." Count your blessings!
Hemersam
Garland, Texas, USA

1980sdga

Was the aluminum hood/trunklid combo 300SD specific?  Seems like it would be more at home on a 6.9  ;D

I checked my hoods with a magnet. One is steel and one is aluminum...  I believe it's alloy skin on a steel frame.  I'll check the boot lids.

Good job boys!  We managed to drag bumpers and obama into this one  :o :o

I'll blame Jimmy Carter for the fact that we got watered down 6.9's.

Big_Richard

your 6.9's are fine once you remove the horsepower thieves from the exhaust system  8)

1980sdga

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 29 November 2011, 02:32 PM
your 6.9's are fine once you remove the horsepower thieves from the exhaust system  8)

I thought they were lower compression?

Big_Richard

Quote from: 1980sdga on 29 November 2011, 02:58 PM
Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 29 November 2011, 02:32 PM

I thought they were lower compression?

They are slightly,

Australian version engines have the same compression ratio, internals and all of the same emissions crap, except for the catalytic converters as the USA version. Their power output is only slightly less than the "euro" version.

the catalytic converters fitted to the US versions ARE the horsepower thieves as thats the ONLY difference to the Australian version cars and produce the least power of any version available.

1980sdga

We were undergoing a change from leaded to unleaded gas and most domestic CR's were around 8.5:1  :P Then there were the catastrophic converters  ;D

It is good to know that NA 6.9's have such potential. I hope to own one some day  8)

Nutz

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 26 November 2011, 07:34 PM

obviously no such car exists..... and it certainly couldnt of been called a 280SL  ::)

Conundrum. Why don't any of the SL's have 'E' in designation, using the same formula. 450SLE, 280SLE, you get the jest. Without the 'E', shouldn't they all be carbed?

KenM

Quote from: 1980sdga on 29 November 2011, 12:26 PM

Good job boys!  We managed to drag bumpers and obama into this one  :o :o

Too funny, at least we haven't mentioned the forward looking illumination devices designed to enhance one's night driving experience...  ;D

Big_Richard

Quote from: Nutz on 30 November 2011, 03:17 AM

Conundrum. Why don't any of the SL's have 'E' in designation, using the same formula. 450SLE, 280SLE, you get the jest. Without the 'E', shouldn't they all be carbed?

Your dead right, I forgot about that one.

however, maybe the E was redundant since there were no carbed or diesel w107s.... but i bet there were in previous body types...

Nutz

The ones that really made no sense were the W108 280SEL 4.5 , 450SEL 6.9, and 190E 2.3/2.6