News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

What will the epc tell me? For those who have access is it worth it?

Started by Diesel 617, 27 July 2018, 06:34 PM

Diesel 617

I am seriously considering a year membership with the EPC @ $75 it may be a bargain. I also plan to use it to look up what parts numbers fit which models and year range for selling. For those that have or had access to it will it tell me the following:

Part numbers by specific model and year? For example the powering pumps on our cars; there are two? variants, they have different seals for the top of the reservoir. Will it tell me which one I need for 1980 pumps?  Another example will it tell me exactly what transmission pan gasket to order for the 722.120?

Will it show part numbers for parts NLA?

How accurate is it? Say some part supersedes another part, does it mean it is a direct fit or will there be a note?

Can it do anything with vin numbers? Esp. pre-81' models

If I think of other questions I'll add them here
X3 1980 300SD Blown Heads, trans -Retired
1980 450SEL Parted out/Scrap
1980 450SEL to Diesel Parted Out/Scrap
1979 280SE Euro Spec Cloth Seats Sold
1979 300CD Daily Driver - Sold

Inventory of w116 Parts
[url="https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff"]https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff[/url]

rumb

Quote from: Diesel 617 on 27 July 2018, 06:34 PM

Part numbers by specific model and year? you can search for all the models a specific parts goes to. you can select a specific model, but not year.

For example the powering pumps on our cars; there are two? variants, they have different seals for the top of the reservoir. Will it tell me which one I need for 1980 pumps?  yes but not directly, it will show the serial number up to/from for a part

Another example will it tell me exactly what transmission pan gasket to order for the 722.120? yes

Will it show part numbers for parts NLA? NO, for that use https://partssearch.mercedes-benz-classic.com/

How accurate is it? Say some part supersedes another part, does it mean it is a direct fit or will there be a note? could be replaced by, or Replaced by but need these additional parts, or there could be a note about something.

Can it do anything with vin numbers? Esp. pre-81' models, yes you can put VIN in or just select a specific model.

EPC is being replace by some unknown platform in a few months.......
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

ptashek

Quote from: Diesel 617 on 27 July 2018, 06:34 PM
Part numbers by specific model and year? For example the powering pumps on our cars; there are two? variants, they have different seals for the top of the reservoir. Will it tell me which one I need for 1980 pumps?  Another example will it tell me exactly what transmission pan gasket to order for the 722.120? Will it show part numbers for parts NLA?

All of the above.

QuoteHow accurate is it? Say some part supersedes another part, does it mean it is a direct fit or will there be a note?

As accurate as anything managed by humans can be. There isn't a better source though.
Superseded parts are marked with a reference to the succeeding part number, and a list of chassis number with exceptions.
When you select a specific part number, and add it to the internal shopping list, it will also add the correct quantity required.

QuoteCan it do anything with vin numbers? Esp. pre-81' models

For pre-90s models the VIN number will only let you search for parts for that specific chassis, engine and transmission combo. You can also search using just the model designation (e..g 116032, to search all parts for the 450SE model, regardless of market or model year). From the 90s onwards, it will also show the production data card, with option lists etc. The parts catalogue covers everything down to the 1950s, but the exploded drawing quality isn't stellar for anything pre-90s, as they're scanned from microfiches; some part groups have no drawings at all.

If you buy EPC access through an officially recognised MB club, you will also get full access to the WIS system.

If you plan on buying a lot of parts, it's very much worth the price. I'd be absolutely lost without it during my own resto.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

ptashek

Quote from: rumb on 28 July 2018, 09:30 AM
EPC is being replace by some unknown platform in a few months.......

I'm guessing WebParts, the same EPC-like system that dealerships have used for a good few years now.

Squiggle Dog

I find it extremely hard to get by without EPC. I've tried some websites that are copies of EPC, but they are frustrating to navigate and incomplete. I do think that the $75 a year they charge is ridiculous, being that it was free for many years. I think $25 would be more in line, or at least give an Mercedes Benz Club discount. $75 a year is more than what my MBCA membership costs.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

rumb

I share a subscription with a friend. This was actually hinted to me by Tom Hanson.

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

ptashek

Quote from: Squiggle Dog on 28 July 2018, 02:00 PM
I find it extremely hard to get by without EPC. I've tried some websites that are copies of EPC, but they are frustrating to navigate and incomplete. I do think that the $75 a year they charge is ridiculous, being that it was free for many years. I think $25 would be more in line, or at least give an Mercedes Benz Club discount. $75 a year is more than what my MBCA membership costs.

It sucks that MBCA does not give you access to the EPC and WIS as part of the membership package.

The MB Club UK does that, via https://clublounge.mb-lounge.com/en/electronic-parts-catalog-epc.html. The login ID is printed on the back of your club card, then you just setup a password and off you go browsing the 650k+ parts. It costs 62USD/year for worldwide membership, so it might be worth joining just to pay less for the access :D And I guess the 10% parts discount we get would be valid for the US too.

marku

When I resigned from the MB Club here and lost the free EPC access I took out a subscription at £55. I also got a copy of the WIS from emanuals online although at 18GB took some time to download. Haven't tried it on any older models but it is fine for current ones. Although the EPC is invaluable the logic employed in listing is often difficult to follow and it would be nice if it listed availability. I think it can be upgraded at a cost but its cheaper just to call a dealer and ask particularly as I have just started using a third MB dealer, very friendly and a commercial one and interested, as I had enough of the car ones as they made it clear that they were not interested and the classic partner I was using does not seem to function after being taken over.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof