News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

What's your next project?

Started by 1980sdga, 29 May 2011, 10:36 AM

1980sdga

I guess we're all either doing repairs or have something on the horizon. Maybe some cosmetic stuff or just finally ironing out a little niggle.

I've GOT to get my center driveshaft bearing replaced, plus figure out what's going on with my balancer and get new tie-rod ends installed. I also need to jump on my wet carpets  ::)

So, what do you guys have on deck?

TJ 450

The next job on my 6.9 will be fixing the central locking, and replacing rubber seals as required. Refurbishment of the sunroof system may also be required.

Then I will arrange replacement of the front lower ball joints and control arm bushes, and the yoke bushes.

After that, I will remove the dash and floor sound deadening, so as to re-foam the HVAC box, fix some minor rust & paint, apply Dynamat. I might also have the wood redone, along with the dash re-skinned at the same time.

These projects will be done in good time, at my leisure. 8)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Papalangi

This summer, I really need to seal the front and rear windows and make at least two more side window roll up and down.  Long term, I need to stop the oil leaks, they are destroying my driveway.

Michael
'83 300SD, I'm back!  It's the son's new car (12/2020)
1976 450SEL, 116.033  Sold it to buy a '97 Crown Vic.  Made sense at the time.
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8

1980sdga

Quote from: TJ 450 on 29 May 2011, 11:16 AM
The next job on my 6.9 will be fixing the central locking,

Tim

I've done quite a few things to mine, and for some reason, fixing the central locking has been the most rewarding thing I have done!

I would love to drive a 6.9! I once owned a 71 type III (Squareback) VW and it had an early Bosche FI.  It's what convinced me that FI was the way to go. I can't imagine having a similar FI on a 400+ cid motor!

Sometimes I miss having a hot-rod...

Big_Richard

Quote from: 1980sdga on 29 May 2011, 04:14 PM
I can't imagine having a similar FI on a 400+ cid motor!

Sometimes I miss having a hot-rod...

The 6.9's are brutal in cold dense air, in fact I suspect they produce a lot more power than the quoted figures.

however, in the warm they are much less exciting but still quick-ish.

thysonsacclaim

Coming up: rims being either painted, powder coated, or the aluminum polished and coated like mags. They're 15 inch and I've searched every possible avenue for replacements (I don't want a different size since I have very expensive, brand new 15 inch tires). And the new Mercs, post 126 I believe, have a different offsets and I won't use spacers. And I don't want Dubs.

Beyond that is spraying POR 15 on every possible crack, crevice and potential rust area.

And replacing a few components in the A/C system and converting it. Thank god I don't have the Climate Control system in there. AC is a damn necessity here. 90% humidity + 97 degree weather = hot and drowning in your own breath.

Nutz

Quote from: thysonsacclaim on 03 June 2011, 09:00 AM
Coming up: rims being either painted, powder coated, or the aluminum polished and coated like mags. They're 15 inch and I've searched every possible avenue for replacements (I don't want a different size since I have very expensive, brand new 15 inch tires). And the new Mercs, post 126 I believe, have a different offsets and I won't use spacers. And I don't want Dubs.

Beyond that is spraying POR 15 on every possible crack, crevice and potential rust area.

Have you tried POR 15 aerosol paint yet? Good stuff :)

1980sdga

For the AM:  Clean the garage, replace center driveshaft bearing/support, shifter bushing and seat slider D-ring.

That's the plan...

thysonsacclaim

Quote from: Nutz on 04 June 2011, 06:58 PM

Have you tried POR 15 aerosol paint yet? Good stuff :)
[/quote]

Nope. I didn't know they were made one! I was going to purchase the quarts and a spray gun and shoot the underside of the hood & trunk (both black) and for various brackets, I decided I am going to paint them with the POR 15 product called Metal Mask. It looks like brushed metal and comes out very nice when sprayed.

The rims I think I am going to polish to a mirror finish and either anodize or coat in the POR 15 clear, which is super chip resistant and does not peel or yellow.

The air cover I decided I am going to POR 15 it black, but the arrows and the M-B logo in the center are going to be painted the the Metal Mask (silver). It's not OEM-style, but I think it will look real nice.

The valve covers I've also been polishing. The aluminum they used is cast and not pure as say billet / aircraft aluminum, but it holds a shine surprisingly well despite that. I will then clear or anodize those, too.

Oh and the MB logos on my wheels were painted or coated with some kind of metal. Most of that is coming off, so I'm going to give them a caustic soda bath and replate them in brass, or paint them.

Lots of work coming up, but I have to bide my time as I am still waiting on the heads. I'm stripping everything down