News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

What's the most reliable shipping method these days from Autohaus to AU?

Started by flutes, 28 October 2010, 03:28 AM

flutes

Matt
1977 450SEL

KenM

I think USPS is as good as any Matt, haven't bought anything from Autohaus but other stuff I've had sent from US by them always gets here in good nic, you should get a tracking number for parcels so you can trace the progress. There is a shipping calculator on their website so you can check what you are being charged. If you have heavy or awkward items, there is a chap who ships in bulk and can fit other goods in with one of his shipments, might work out to be at a good price if you are not in a hurry. I can PM you some details.

koan

Don't know what the choices are but I avoid DHL who in, my opinion don't make much effort to deliver which usually means I have to go to the depot to collect.

If USPS is UPS, I've often had to pay duty etc. on UPS shipments, I suspect they might be a bit keener than the others in the customs department.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

flutes

Matt
1977 450SEL

WGB

UPS Expedited - 4 to 5 days from Arizona to Perth (plus a few days to get the 15km from the airport to my Surgery).

I have received two parcels from Autohausaz using their reduced rates that they have offered over the past few months.

I have a patient who works for UPS and I asked her why expedited was a lot cheaper when it sounds like it should be more expensive.

She said that expedited means - second business day after arrival delivery, while express is delivered first business day.

Hey half price for an extra day sounds pretty good to me and is competitive with all the other rates.

I have had no problems with any of the delivery systems - ever - but I am careful to keep the value of the package well below the AUD$1000 that sets of the Customs hound dogs.

Bill

vlv8vic

I use expedited and everything seems to get here (Southern Victoria) in well under a week from the time I pay.  Probably a tad pricey but it gets here in good condition and good time.
Father in law operates the local courier connection which I must say also gets things to my place quicker than it might normally be done so.

TJ 450

I've received a few Autohaus orders over the last few weeks, all sent via UPS. The first two went smoothly, although the most recent one came to Perth, then was in Mascot (NSW) later the same day, and was redirected back to Perth. A major stuff-up there I suspect. 8)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

thysonsacclaim

I don't live in AU, of course, but I would suggest UPS. I have a business account with them and we also use them at work.

I've never had an issue with them and they have detailed information on their tracking page. Inside the contiguous USA, I think USPS and UPS are equally fine, especially with USPS having flat rate shipping boxes with a 70 pound weight limit. "If it fits (in the box), it ships" for the same price ($9).

Also, for UPS, I've had customers who wanted something delivered ASAP for business needs and were willing to pay $70-$125 for shipping.

UPS picked up the package from my house in Florida at 10am Friday and it was in California by 2pm Saturday. That makes my clients (and me) happy.

Tony66_au

Quote from: koan on 28 October 2010, 03:33 PM
Don't know what the choices are but I avoid DHL who in, my opinion don't make much effort to deliver which usually means I have to go to the depot to collect.

If USPS is UPS, I've often had to pay duty etc. on UPS shipments, I suspect they might be a bit keener than the others in the customs department.

koan

Koan, USPS is United States Postal service mate.

And for what its worth ive never had issues with UPS unless I order over $1000 and Ive been using them for years with Summit, Year one and Classic industries.

FedEx however im no longer comfy with after a few issues and some mysterious charges

koan

Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Tony66_au

Tony66_au

Edited to... Oh I cant edit lol

Tony66_au

Sorry, to clarify this a bit better UPS seem to have the contract to deliver United states postal service parcels over a certain size in Oz.

But they would be initially lodged at a post office in the US.

Confused the hell outta me too lol

So United Parcel service, Brown vans = UPS

USPS is the US Postal service, from memory White vans with blue and red stripes.

thysonsacclaim

The biggest difference for me, as a US citizen, sending or receiving packages overseas is this:

The tracking number for UPS (United Parcel Service) shows where your package is every step of the way.

The tracking number for USPS (United States Postal Service aka gov mail) only shows when the package left and when it was delivered.

Since you would be using a USPS tracking number even with UPS having the contact to deliver in areas of AU, you still will get only limited information on the whereabouts of your package.

It may not matter much to most folks, but I like being able to track every step of the way. UPS will tell you if it has been held at customs, if there are delays, and so on and so forth. USPS doesn't provide this detailed information. You'll really only know if your package was held if it has been re-sealed and took a long time to arrive!

Anything overseas I usually use UPS both as sender and recipient.

craigb

Off the top of my head I can't remember which is which but the discounted one on autohaus i used since it was about the same and I thought it must be better. What it didn't say though is they can't deliver to a PO box. So this started a bit of back and forth, I thought all those bank fees for international stuff for changing the amount, so then decided to get it delivered to work, which is complicated and by the time it was sorted i had to go out in the field that was more complications and then they had trouble with the long not normal street address getting cut off the label and not being able to ring me because i was out of mobile range......... all turned out fine but the warning is that if you are like me and you live semi rural where there are no clear street addresses and couriers never find you..... use the cheaper one! I just dont understand that they will deliver it to anywhere I tell them except the local post office where the people know us by name and are there all day ready to take it from them etc etc - my guess though is that it is Australia Post policy to try and cut competiion to their own service?
1980 280s