News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

What's it worth?

Started by CA116, 29 May 2007, 12:51 AM

CA116

I'm probably going to be picking up a 1980 300SD tomorrow. It is literally in perfect condition. Perfect paint, perfect motor (95K), never been hit, dinged or repainted. Everything works including climate control and the original cassette deck. The only modifications are a new speedometer (to replace the old 85mph speedo) and rebuilt front brakes. Everything is essentially as it was off the lot. It even has the original emergency kit.

What do you guys think it's worth?
1980 300SD | 684H Pastel Beige | 204 Bamboo

500eguy

$4-5k? not to sure..... def. worth more than a old worn out one!

SELfor50

I got a 450SEL for $300 with only 145K on the clock... so i'm prob not the right person to ask.
However in saying that i've spent $4k on it getting it mechanically 'tip-top'.
If it's a yard - i'd offer them 50% of advertised price and see where they take you...

CA116

It' has been a single-family car since it was new. Owned by an old woman and until 5 years ago (as the story goes), only had about 40K on it. Since then her son (in his 50s) has been using it as a second car.

I've looked at several 300SDs listed in the $3500 range, but all of them have needed work of some sort or were aesthetically lacking (or both!). Whereas this one has got maintenance receipts through and through and paint that shines like a mirror. The guy even has the original window sticker from the lot.

He said he had it appraised for over 10K, but that obviously won't fly. Nonetheless, the vehicle is in wonderful condition.

michaeld

Diesels are the most valuable w116s right now.

I tried to show that in a previous post by comparing the final ebay sales of 6.9s with the diesels.  The diesels routinely sold for more.  Particularly, as gas prices go up, so goes the value of diesels.

You are looking at a very low mileage model to boot.  Many of the diesels have upwards of 200 and even 300,000 miles on them and STILL go for $3000 plus.  And that's been on eBay, where cars sell for far less than they would in a normal face-to-face arrangement (this because you can't take the car to a mechanic, you're buying based on pics and a description, etc).

I'd say if you could get it for $6,000, you're probably doing pretty darned well.  If you don't have your heart set on a diesel, there are cheaper cars (and cheaper 116s).  If you want a diesel for the good gas mileage (or conversion to a veggie burner), recognize that a lot of other people want that also.  You have to pay a premium for the diesels.

You would also be wise to take it to your mechanic and have him go over it.  If he finds this and that, then you have leverage to knock him off his price.

Also, you don't generally "appraise" used cars.  They are not jewels.  There ARE a few classic car experts out there: does he have documentation that the car appraises for $10k?  Probably not.  At best, he is probably referring to a price guide such as NADA or Kelly's.  These guides are way WAY too high for the most part (unless the car is a genuine classic, in which case they usually are way too low).  They are fairly good for establishing that one yr/make/model car is probably more valuable than another, but only an idiot would rigidly hold to the values.  They're called "guides" for good reason.

500eguy

oh, and post pics of this beauty when you get a chance. I would say my guess of $4k to $5 would be a pretty good range for a good one. diesels have always been hard to find in good shape without millions of miles on them.

CA116

I definitely will post some pictures soon (after detailing and a minor tune up). I drove it home yesterday. It was my first time riding in a W116... with the reflection of passing trees gliding across the hood, all the windows down, and Miles Davis on the stock Becker deck. It was great.

500eguy

i really like the image you are giving me.... very peaceful!

OzBenzHead

Quote from: CA116 on 30 May 2007, 07:42 PM[...] and Miles Davis on the stock Becker deck.

Good taste in music as well as car!   ;D
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]