News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

What DON'T you like about your W116 ?

Started by CraigS, 15 June 2007, 12:27 PM

CraigS

The only thing that really annoys me is the securing screw in the carpet below the glove box. I'm sure they could have come up with some form of clip so that it was not visible.

[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

Martin 280s

Sorry to tell you CraigS, I don't have one of those. But what I don't like about my W116 is the instrument cluster doesn't sit right inside the dashboard since it was overhauled, the top pokes out just a bit. 

CraigS

You mean you don't have carpet, or you don't have the screw ? All 3 of mine have it so I am sure it is a factory install. Maybe they try to brush the carpet over it to disguise it.
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

s class

Craig,

The 280S I had was an early car with an uncarpetted plastic knee bolster.  It had no screws - just the three clips styria talks of.  My 280SE however is a late car with carpetting, and it also has the screw in the place you show.  I have seen so many like that I was inclined to suspect it was original.  HOWEVER, it seems oddly out of character with the general quality of fit in the interior of these cars.  So in balance I'll have to suspect styria is right - it should not be there.  I've never taken that bolster off my car, but now I'm curious.  Maybe tomorrow.  I've set aside this saturday to do major services on both the 280SE an 450SL. 

Ryan

Oh and Craig - that wood is really nice. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

CraigS

I will look forward to the results. I would also be interested to see one of these clips, so a photo would be appreciated. Are these clips available ?

Tomi

I also have that screw, well its a black knee pad and a black screw so its almost invisible. I always thought it was originally that way, didnt look as if anything was broken behind, but have to check next time.
The thing I dont like about this car is the gas consumption.
The newer mercedes v8's do better.

nathan

the passenger side rear view mirror is the crappest mirror in history...you cant see anything out of it.  enough 116 bashing for eternity
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

13B

QuoteThe only thing that really annoys me is the securing screw in the carpet below the glove box. I'm sure they could have come up with some form of clip so that it was not visible.

My 3 previous cars all had this screw in place (a '73 350SE, a '77 450SE and then 6.9 #3904), and now I see my current 6.9 has it as well.  I agree with you all it looks too out of place to be original.  I suppose one could check on some original brochures for the cars...  I'll keep my eyes peeled next time at a MBCV Concourse.

Things I don't like about the W116? 

Stupid fuel filler angle makes filling the beast a real chore... with the amount of fuel the sucker consumes you'd think the filler would be on a better angle to prevent the over-fill switch in the bowser going off..

450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

oscar

I can't believe how many of you guys have the above mentioned screw.  I've broken many a clip trying to figure out how things come apart.  These clips that styria speaks of are pushed part way in to the dash then there's U shaped  -  oh look, I'll try to take a photo.  It's much easier.

My pet hate.  Windscreen wipers.  They just don't go down all the way.  Not a wiper motor problem, I can take them off and reposition them to rest almost on the rubber seal.  But at a resting position, they still seem to impede some of the front passenger's view.  Need adjustable front passenger seat and armrests on both seats. 

Edit:  I put pics in another thread CraigS  http://forum.w116.org/interiors-and-exteriors/knee-pad-clips/0/
1973 350SE, my first & fave

macatron

I have that screw showing as well.  My eyes focused on it the day I took delivery of the car.  I chalked it up to being the previous owner's "fix".  Whatever it is, it doesn't appear to be just an Australian or LHD thing...

I pulled out my original Mercedes-Benz 1977 S-Class brochure and in all the interior shots, I could clearly see the area in question but there was no screw.  That's not to say that the pictures couldn't have been retouched.  It is strange that so many people have this same odd bit of hardware for it to not be a factory installation...

john skene

I dislike their propensity to leak water around the windscreen seals, and the foam hinges in the heater box.

Brian Crump

QuoteI dislike their propensity to leak water around the windscreen seals,
Having just driven for the past hour in a Sydney downpour, I have to say I arrived home without any water ingress. Warmed gently by the draftless heating system, lulled by the sweet sound of a throaty V8 and confident in the sure-footed handling.......mind you, ABS would be handy for those odd moments....enough of the advertising blurb.
I replaced my rubbers when I purchased the car and view doing so as a matter of preventative maintenance. I strongly advise it John as a leaky screen will inevtably mean the dirty R word... :(
Regards,
BC

Des

Now I have parted company with my 6.9 I can be critical about a few things

the dash, I'm sorry but the dash and interior let the car down, dash should have looked like this

I don't like plastic, yes the indicators and windscreen stalks feel like good quality plastic, but I would rather metal, or maybe brushed alloy, with engraved markings,
those plastic door sill strips, should have been chromed metal

basically get rid of all the nasty nasty plastic and replace it with wood, metal and leather

s class

Parks, we have discussed the seat adjusters before a few times, an if I recall, many cars have them on the inside, many on the outside.  We couldn't really establish what the pattern is, though it seems dependent on the country where the car was assembled, whether its an early or late car, and the model variant. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

AMG69

easy. HATE the damn central locking leaking (when its not working).   >:(  Mine has its own personality - unfortunatley its female.  ::)  Today it decided not wake up.  Tomorrow it will be perfect I'm sure.  HATE trying to diagnose and fix leaks....sigh.....
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!