News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

What DON'T you like about your W116 ?

Started by CraigS, 15 June 2007, 12:27 PM

OldMercs3

Two things: 1) Bad gas mileage, I average around 10-11mpg in the city.  You'd think an EFI car, even a 1973 EFI car should get better fuel economy than my old '66 Chrysler with a 440 and a 4 bbl carb.  2) Warped glove box doors, are they all like this?

Martin 280s

Quote from: OldMercs3 on 18 June 2007, 04:43 PM
Two things: 1) Bad gas mileage, I average around 10-11mpg in the city.  You'd think an EFI car, even a 1973 EFI car should get better fuel economy than my old '66 Chrysler with a 440 and a 4 bbl carb.  2) Warped glove box doors, are they all like this?

My glove box door is ever so slightly warped.

However, all told you can't knock these cars as most of the are in their 30's and still cut it with newer cars from the same stable. Needless to say as even superior to some modern machinery.

Long live the W116! ;D ;D ;D

Grant V

My 116? Now let's see...the shitty paint job, the buggered carpets, the speaker holes in the dash, the speaker holes in the door panels, the crappy woodwork, the right-hand-drive glove box lid on a left-hand-drive, but apart from that I LOOOOOOOVE my 6.9!
"You've bought another bloody car?!? We should have you committed!" he shrieked, storming out of the room

pambos

The glove box door which sits proudly on the one side; the 3-speed only gearbox and the bloody nut on the rear side of the instrument cluster that loosens and causes an irritating noise on bumps.

Ah ... and the indicator lights on the instrument cluster that  sit low and half a mile from eachother and you cant see them when the steering wheel is turned.

johnnyw116

i am perfectly satisfied about the W116 i have no negative comments about the best car in the world of 1972  :-*  it really surprises me to read about the passenger side mirror view or about the dashboard
the mercedes benz engineers did much research the W116 no other brand can match this german quality  8)
JohnnyW116

CraigS

I forgot one thing - the fuel gauge ! I have found that the gauge itself is no indication of how much fuel is left. The best, and only, indicator is the light - be it red or yellow as the topic of another discussion is trying to determine. When the light comes on, irrespective of how much the gauge says, get to a petrol station - especially if driving a 6.9 !
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

Andrew280SEL

Someones probably mentioned this, but I'm not fond of the fuel filler flap. It has no way of staying open, it just springs back into place making one have to hold it open while doing the other things. It is possible to jam the cap in between the flap and body to hold it open, but still.

Other than that, nothing! The w116 is great!
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

Grant V

Quote from: CraigS on 22 June 2007, 02:32 AM
When the light comes on, irrespective of how much the gauge says, get to a petrol station - especially if driving a 6.9 !

Mmm...I've been caught out before. Fortunately you only do this once.
"You've bought another bloody car?!? We should have you committed!" he shrieked, storming out of the room

johnj

The price the stealerships charge for parts
      The 116 for it time was the best car
      Today it is still better than most modern
       cars                             johnj                                           

pambos

I have to admit, driving the 350SE, compared to the new SL, Smart ForFour Brabus and G-wagen, it is actually soothing and genuinely relaxing. I find that my driving is a lot less aggressive with this car, not because you cannot drive it aggressively but it just happens.

I've driven up to 1200km in a day in Greece, and it just eats distances for breakfast.

Martin 280s

On the subject of the mirrors, I think this flaw is from the days when a mirror on the opposite side to the driver was not compulsory.
If I sit in the passenger seat I can adjust the passenger side mirror perfectly but not the other one and the same is true from the driver's seat.
Maybe they offered the other mirror as more of a cosmetic accessory then a useful piece of equipment(?)
We know that the MB engineers worked long and hard on this car but, cars are ever 100% perfect in a practical situation.

James R

Anyone remember the first Ferrari Testarossas that came out in the mid-80s ? They only had one wing mirror, the look of which ruined the whole aesthetics of the car.
1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

Martin 280s

Quote from: James R on 22 June 2007, 05:44 AM

Location: Home, Home on the range, Where the deer and the antelope play, Hampshire, United Kingdom

James R , What a sweet location to be!...Although I prefer County Durham or Northumberland, that's where I grew up