News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

What came in the glove compatment

Started by Stork, 06 March 2011, 04:18 PM

Stork

Unfortunately my 1975 US 280S's glove compartment only came with the owners manual. So I was wondering what else came with the car when new (radio info, maintenance paperwork, or what ever they are called, etc.). I would like to start to look for all the print that came with the owners manual (including the pouch that it came in).
Does anyone make correct reprints of these?
I have already found the black parts booklet.
Pictures would be great!
Thanks!

I found this 1980 300D:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-w116-1980-300sd-Owners-Manual-SET-Case-NICE-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3c9261bb86QQitemZ260153916294QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature#ht_4216wt_1167

Are these what I should be looking for or was the kit simpler in 75?
Only wish I can find one for the 280S

Robert

jbrasile

Robert,

For your 75 280S you should have:

Owner's manual
Service booklet
Dealer book
Radio manual
Antenna warranty
Maybe an emissions booklet since the car is US spec

The pouch is the one you see on the 300SD ad.

If I missed something maybe someone else will remember. I have a complete set from my old 280S that got totalled, the car was a 1 owner when I bought it so it came with the correct literature. I get back to Sao Paulo on Tuesday and will check to see if there was anything else.

Tks,

Joe

Stork

Thanks again Joe!
Starting a new thread about my cars stamped plate, there are some numbers there that I don't know what they mean.
So far I have:

Owners manual
Service booklet
Dealer book (parts book I believe)
emissions booklet

No radio or antena warranty or manual
No pouch

I'll let you know when the wire go out. Have a safe flight!
Robert

koan

I've got a red tag that hung off the cruise control stalk with instructions.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

oscar

Not for the glove box but this one hung off the rear view mirror.  Here's a couple of scans showing it folded out, both covers and the page with English.  I had my doubts if W116s had them but a few others a while back said they did.

For the radio it'll depend on what radio you have.  Not every w116 had a becker but if you're after some authenticity, even though your car might not have had a becker to begin with, get a becker and just keep an eye out for manuals on ebay.  Here's an assortment of waranty cards plus covers of various becker booklets to get an idea of what to look for.

1973 350SE, my first & fave

Stork

Fantastic guys! Thank you! Koan, that red tag would be great to have since I have cruise control in my 280S! Can you do a high resolution scan of the tag. Maybe I can take it to a printing shop and they can make it for me... unless you are selling yours ;)
I am on the prowl for the radio booklet and antenna radio warranty. I have the Becker Europa cassette radio.
Oscar thanks for the images now I know what to look for... can you measure the card for me that way I can start to see if I can reproduce it?
Thanks to all and keep the info coming!
Robert

P.S. I am going to try to contact the original owner (it is a two owner car) don't know if the chap is still walking around but it never hurts to call and see if they have anything in the garage!

oscar

Wow, I didn't think you'd have cruise in a 280S.  I took scans of that tag too but didn't post em but here's what it looks like, front and back. 

Because of the different paper and card used in each piece I've shown I reckon you're still better off trying to find originals, however, I'll do some better scans to PDF format so you can have 1:1 printable copies.  Will try and do that in the next few days.

1973 350SE, my first & fave

Stork

Cool! thanks! Perfect I am sure I can have these made, but If I find an original it might be easier to make them. When you have some time send me the measurements in MM instead of inches.
Thanks again!
I will try to post a picture of the engine bay so you can see the cruise in the 280S!
Robert

carl888

This is what came in the glove compartment of the 280 SE, an Australian car from March 1974.  I don't believe there would have been too many regional differences except for the USA and Canadian cars that had a suppliment I think to the owners manual for the emissions equipment.  And of course different languages for the respective manuals. 

I am unsure if the goodies are complete, plus, I've added a few things, like the touch up paint, which I was told the cars always came with in the 1970's.  I also added the Becker Mexico instructions and the Becker demonstration tape as I fitted this unit when I bought the car some four years ago.  Everything else was with the car.

If there is anything there you don't recognise, let me know and I'll list the items.

Regards,

Carl.

gf

oh that sux! all mine came with when i got mine was an old sock, a spanner and a broken country music tape!

gavin116

Robert, this is what came in my glovebox. As you can see I too have a few missing items, like the owners manual.  Seen a few almost new ones on ebay, but over $30 postage! I will hold out.  Although it is not in the photo, I also have the clear plastic folder that houses all these items.  I also found the clamp and nuts that keep the battery secured in place.  On the key front, I am missing the oval key.

Can't wait for our grille badges.

Gavin

Glovebox contents
1979 450SE "Mrs White"
2022 Touareg-R 3.0TSi Hybrid
[url="http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/"]http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/[/url]
[url="http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613"]http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613[/url]

calvin streeting

Hi..

Can someone please scan a copy of the owners manual (for all those that don't have a copy :( )

many thanks

calvin

Type17

Here's what came in my glovebox:

The leaflet at the top-left is an application form to join the (MB-approved) Mercedes-Benz Club, which was (and still is) the official UK/Ireland MB owners club. The first owner of my car (who had it until he died in 2004) never did join, but I joined last December - only 34 years late, then  ;)

@Calvin, I'll try to scan the owner's manual sometime, but it has 88 pages, so it will be a while - was there anything specific you wanted to know, as I could scan those pages first?
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

KenM

Calvin the owners manual is here in the library, just pick your model and it's there with the other manuals.

calvin streeting

Quote from: KenM on 16 May 2011, 02:05 AM
Calvin the owners manual is here in the library, just pick your model and it's there with the other manuals.

The library owners manual is for a 280-450... no mention of the UK 350se.. I wonder how many pages are different

calvin