News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

We have embarked on a W116 journey...

Started by the_robster, 19 November 2015, 03:45 AM

the_robster

Thanks for the info on the vacuum valve. Wasn't aware of that. Will check a.s.a.p.

Jed

Also, check the seals around the tailights.  They are known to leak and allow water in the trunk.

1979 Mercedes 6.9 #5206 - restored
1979 Mercedes 6.9 #6424 - ongoing restoration
1976 Mercedes 6.9 #484 - restoration?

floyd111

Aren't those second mirrors often used in taxis and police cars? Is it possible your car has a secret past, even brief?

the_robster

Hey Floyd,

we've thought about that too. However, there is no indication in the cars history that would confim that. After the newspaper, there were three owners proir to us. All of them privat registrations. No companies or authorities.

Hotbasco

Great car! Those are expected items to deal with... I did all my calipers. Speaking from 1975 W116 German car you may want to:

* Replace the rubber brake lines all around for safety. Flush those fluids very well as well as all new filters.
* Dealer sold me the OEM spark plugs. $2.60 each. I don't see how you can save a lot more money than that.
* Run Liqui-moly injector cleaner through those injectors. Perhaps several times. Fuel gums up.
* Run liqui-moly Ventil cleaner for the valves.
* Consider replacing the points... ignition is everything on these V8s.
* Replace the two ignition resistors on the front fender by the coil pack. (white and blue Bosch or BEHR rectangles)
* Replace the voltage regulator on the back of  the alternator.
These last three should insure good spark to your motor.

Good luck! Have fun. it is an adventure.

the_robster

Hey everyone,

we've been quiet for some time now. The Benz has been in winter storage and we got her out about a month ago. Fixed the exhaust chatter and many small details here and there.

Planning to take some trips this year, the highlight being driving down to Stuttgart to the Mercedes Benz Museum and bring the Benz "home" for a visit.

Here are some pictures:

Peter

Looking good Rob, a really nice car  :D