News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

We have embarked on a W116 journey...

Started by the_robster, 19 November 2015, 03:45 AM

beagle2022

carefully check the flexible brake hoses.  If they fail it can kill you!  If they are original they will certainly need replacement.
Sydney, Australia

the_robster

Thanks,

I don't know if the hoses are original but they sure don't look brand new. So I got some new brake hoses as well.

We don't want any nasty surprises taking an Autobahn exit, do we? ;-)

the_robster

Hey guys,

just a quick question:

Got the new caliper today, going to mount it on Saturday. I see that the two supplied 19mm bolts already have blue loctite applied to the thread. Would it be counterproductive to spray the hole/bolt with wd40 before screwing it in? I'm just thinking in terms of general maintenance, keeping things "lubed up" and being able to get the bolts out nice and easy in a few years time.

However, I have a feeling that it wouldn't be such a good idea to combine the two, since the loctite is probably on there for a reason.

I'd appreciate your feedback on this.

Thanks

Alexander

ptashek

You could apply a thin film of copper grease to the thread-side face of the bolt, and the non-loctite covered top part of the thread.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

the_robster

Hey Guys!

Hope you had a nice Christmas! :-)

A quick update: We got the beast running, changed the front caliper and put about 150km on temporary plates on her. Put plenty of injection cleaner in. Still running rough on idle though, however pulls very strong without  missing a beat when given some trottle.

Next plan is to sort out a couple of things, like oil leaks, leaking exhaust and get the German MOT in the next weeks. Then we'll be rolling for the next two years.

Here are some pics of the clean up.

shaggy

the_robster

Hey there,

a quick update :-)

drove the car 500km altogether on temp plates. Running better every km driven. Injector cleaner really helps when resurrecting an old benz. No more stalling on idle, engine run smoothing out more and more. Seems like the fuel distibutor and injectors were really gummed up.

Visited the German TÜV/ MOT two weeks ago. Unfortunately, as already anticipated, not a wave through. We received a to-do list, which will be taken care of hopefully within the next two weeks.

We ordered a steering rep kit, fuel line, rear brake shoes for the parking brake, brake lines both rubber and copper since there is some corrosion in the rear, ATF filter and fluid, motor oil  and rear axle oil.

We're going to have the brake and steering relevant work done by a professional though, no messing about here. The CO idle value is way off at 5,2 % , (1,5% required)  We'll see who can help us with that. I suspect there might be some air leaking in somewhere so the previous owner beefed up the mixture at idle. We'll have a pro look at that too.  Were able to fix the Windscreen and Headlamp washer motors ourselves, they were just seized up. My dad removed them and greased them up properly. Some fool had swapped the hoses at the reservoir in the past, so it probably never worked right in the first place.

We should then be set to pass the MOT and get this baby back into regular service  :-)

Will keep you posted.

Alexander and Gerhard

the_robster

Oh yes, also changed the valve cover seals, since the oil leaking originated from here.

ptashek

That's a long list, but nothing that can't be fixed for very reasonable money, with your own hands. I have done the vast majority of those tasks myself, and can say you don't need to be a mechanic to get it right. Just needs a good torque wrench, car jack and stands, and a day or two of time. After all that, just take it for a wheel alignment.

Try it :)

The German TÜV never disappoints.

the_robster

Hi ptashek,

you're right. We were kinda relieved when we saw the list although it is long, since we never actually had the car on a lift to look under it, nor had the chance to have a proper testdrive before we went ahead with the purchase. Quite naive actually :-)

There are absolutely no structural issues or rust under the car as the TÜV guy confirmed. And they really scrutinze a vehicle. He said it's a sound car.

I know we could probably do all the stuff ourselves, but my Dad has met a KFZ-Meister who ran a workshop for 20 years near where my parents live. He knows his way aound old benzes and is going to take of the issues for a very small buck. We organize the parts. Good to know those types of guys:-)

ptashek

Indeed. Having someone local who has worked on those cars as a professional is special.
Please keep us posted on the progress!

the_robster

Ta Daaaa!

Plates are mounted. The German TÜV gave a thumbs up. The car is road worthy!! 

Now we have to take care of a water leak into the lower right trunk space. The rear window seal has a crack and water seems to be coming in there. Either that, or the gas tank filler has a bad seal up in the fender.

We also can't properly turn off the heater. Warm air is continually blown (while driving) into the passenger compartment. I have read on this forum, that it could be some sort of foam piece which is blocking a heater flap in the dashboard. We#ll have to see to that.

the_robster

We're pretty much sure that we are going to remove the trailer hitch. It might have been useful back in the days, but now in it's "show and shine" era it doesn#t need to be sporting it. I sure don't like the look of it. It "drags down" the look of the rear end.

ptashek

Great to see another one back on the road!

Quote from: the_robster on 17 February 2016, 11:37 AM
Now we have to take care of a water leak into the lower right trunk space.

Also check trunk seal channel corners around the trunk lid hinges. Rust holes in that space are very common.

QuoteWe also can't properly turn off the heater. Warm air is continually blown (while driving) into the passenger compartment.

Check if the vacuum valve on the firewall is working properly.
If it leaks, pulling on the cabin levers will not close the heater valve and the result is as you have described.

Depending on model year, it will look like one of those below.

the_robster

The first owner back in 1977 was a big German newspaper and it ran as a company car for the editor in chief. I suspect thats why the second rearview mirror was fitted inside, so that the gentleman being chauffered in the back could see out of the rear. Why they didn't opt for the SEL makes me wonder though.